Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 29 Chevy 3 window, Help me build on a budget!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onerare29chevy, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Got this 29 coupe in straight up trade for a boat.
    305/350 10 bolt Positrac. Non trad tilt wheel. Disc brakes, power windows. Drives straight stops good. What would you guys do to it, I know stance is all wrong!

Attached Files:

2. jipp

jipp

hell ill probably get hated on but i like it just like it is ( well the column dose not bug me but that steering wheel dose not do it for me.. so i would change that for damn sure.. ).. good luck.. drop the front some for the hotrod stance.. do you like fenders? if not strip it and start from there i guess. good luck
    chris.

3. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

I'd toss on some white walls with some wire wheels, perhaps a banjo steering wheel (that one it came with is AWFUL) and call it a day. Asides from that it looks great the way it is.

Perhaps, if you hate the color and want to change it, or if that paint goes to crap in time (if you plan on painting it at that point) you may want to chop it 2-3" or so, but even now it looks fine.
    That and perhaps a 700R4 if it doesn't already have one (for drive-ability I mean)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  4. Was restored in 98 and driven stock for a few years, then updated drive train, Guy I got it from traded for it and let it sit in his garage for 4 years! I went through it and changed fluids etc and have already used it more than the boat! More Pictures

Attached Files:

5. jipp

jipp

well i would trade a boat for it too. i like it. minus the steering wheel.. a banjo would look good in it. nice score.
    chris.

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

New steering column and white walls... and fix the stance.... done! drive it!

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

X2, brother!

8. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

agreed....Sounds like you made out

9. Thanks for the replies, Already shed the bumpers, Put some 15 x 5 smoothies on the front with 165/80/15 tires, ditched the low profiles on the back and for now took the fronts and put them on the back. 15 x 8's I think. Thinking of sport truck tires for the rubber rake.
    Any suggestions on what taillights to use?

See AVATAR for changes.

10. budd

budd

finned valve covers, paint the wheels and leave the hubcaps chrome, lower the front end, change the steering wheel but leave the column for now, redo the interior black vinyl.

11. Chevy guys know if a later model headlight bar will fit my 29, something dropped or with an arch to it?

[​IMG]

12. chaddilac

chaddilac

Since you ditched the bumpers.... you should build some cool nerf bars, and put the lights in them! Lower the front too!

13. OK, that already looks better.....I'd drop the front axle 3" and put the hood sides back on. Done.

14. I was looking at sids for the dropped axle, but it looks like my springs need to be rearched, contemplating either new springs and flipping the axle or just ordering a six inch dropped tube. ( stock axle is already 3 inches) And she already has a cross steer setup.

Hood sides need some work but are presentable :rolleyes:

15. snelson57

snelson57

Looks good to me.

I am planning to have Sid drop mine 3" as well. Any idea what the cross steer setup is out of?

I dont care for the 29 hood sides with only 1/2 louvers. I wonder if another year would fit?

16. jay7262

jay7262

Drop the front end, steering wheel, finned valve covers, may be some stem mounted taillights. Good trade

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Get the nose down a bit, change the steering column and wheel, and put some 235/75-15 rear tires on it,(don't go sport truck, too tall) and your in like Flynn... Heck if it was mine, I would look for some Tru-spokes with nice chrome left and run those. Might as well go for the complete resto rod look!

18. It has a flaming river vega box in it with 49-54 chevy spindles and mid size gm rotors and calipers. I believe it was a speedway kit. But it was put on way before I got it. Steers and stops nice, just not traditional.
    Might throw the hood sides on it to see what it looks like. Would go without it all together but we have afternoon rain storms here in Florida during the summer!

19. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Must have been a nice boat!

20. 2001 19ft Stingray 90 hours on it, garaged kept with aluminum trailer. Used it once last year. Hard to sell in this economy, so to find someone who wanted to trade a hotrod for it even was a once in a lifetime for me!!!:)

21. On the engine get some old Vette ribbed valve covers, and swap the headers for some rams horns.

22. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

23. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Just leave it as it is AND trade me .........

Damn I would drive the wheels off just like it is...

Good trade Good score..............

24. rustrodder

rustrodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the taillights-how about mounting some '50 Pontiac taillights on the panel under the trunk. alex

25. Thanks for all the comments! Decisions, Decisions! Steve

26. Looks better than a boat as is! Drop the front end, change the column and enjoy it. Old Chevy's look cool!

27. Bump for the weekend crowd!

28. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

check body wood, IIRC chevy's before 1936 were wooden cars with metal nailed to wood.

29. Actually car is pretty solid, only need to repair a couple of pieces on the deck lid.

30. n847

n847

hey...I got a boat if you change your minde!