Register now to get rid of these ads!

292 y block and T 10 outta a mustang anyone done this conversion?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustybones, Oct 7, 2011.

1. rustybones

rustybones

i have acess to a T 10 i want a four speed to replace the 3 on the tree in my 61 F truck anyone done this conversion ? i need a four speed ! i have been told the bolt up i haven't done any manual conversions is the input shaft OK? how about the tail shaft slip joint? its going into a 61 unibody long bed cheers chris

2. ArizonaBill

ArizonaBill
    from Arizona

3. rustybones

rustybones

thanks man but thats for a T 5 not a T 10 i am ignorant but they are a different box right?

4. 65COMET

65COMET

rustybones;I used an early,narrow bolt pattern T-10 behind my 292.I used a passenger car bellhousing,not sure if a truck bell works.The trans bolts right up except you need to shorten the input shaft 1/4" at the tip,I used a cutoff wheel,then a disc to taper the end.The bearing fits the opening and the clutch disc even is the same.The collar fits the throw out bearing and everything else is exactly the same as the three speed that came out.I needed to modify the trans crossmember,easy fix. ROY.

5. I've still got 1 new Y-block to Chev T-10/Muncie bolt pattern Bell. I can get measurements it you want.

It's not quite what you asked but close. Roy is correct about the T-10 and also the early ford toploader with the narrow pattern..

Attached Files:

6. Heo2

Heo2

Later rug four speeds got both bolt patherns
    dont sure about the t 10

7. ButchsCoolStuff

ButchsCoolStuff

While not on a Y-Block, but about 20 years (maybe 30?) ago, I had a '37 Ford Cpe with a '53 Mer Flathead V8 engine and '53 Ford 3-Speed Tranny in it. I bought a '66 Mustang 4-speed tranny and shifter (local guy, I had to pull it) and the Ford 4-Spd had the dual pattern bell housing bolt pattern so it bolted right up to my old Faltty Bell housing. The center (input shaft) hole in my bell housing was SLIGHTLY to small so I hand filed (didn't want to take it out of the car) about 3 to 5 thousands of clearance out and the tranny went right in. Then, my long time machinst buddy said, "why didn't you take that input shaft off the tranny and I coulda done that for you easy at work"? DUH!!!
    Anyway, I'm sure that these will fit the Y-Blocks much the same way. Man, it sure made that old Flatty feel much better with that extra gear.
    Then, my machinest buddy had a '50's Ford Flathead in an old Ford Flatbed, and he used one of those mid 80's (think they made'm about 3 years, 84, 85 area) Ford 1/2Ton PU 4-Speed Overdrive Trannys and WOW! That 4th gear is OverDrive and I got to drive it to the NSRA KY Nats that year. Man it really worked well with that 355 rear gear he had in there. Hope I have helped some, Old Butch from Dayton, Ohio

8. 65COMET

65COMET

I'm not sure about the Toploaders as I have heard the bearing retainers outside dimension is larger,not a big deal as it can be turned down to fit the bellhousing opening.I was told the later T-10s also have this issue,again it is no big deal to remedy. ROY.

9. rustybones

rustybones

thanks for the help fellas much appreciated