Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 ford crestline engine i.d.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TUCK66, Oct 6, 2011.

1. TUCK66

TUCK66
    from CORONA,CA.

Hey guys i need help...just brought home a 54 ford......whats the best way do id the y block thats under the hood! This is my first y block so this is all new to me ive had flatties and sbf....thanx in advance for any help,,,i think im going to need alot of it on this project!!!!

2. if it is stock itwould be a 239. But somebody may have put in a bigger one. I think theyare all the same pyhsically. 239,292 and 312.

3. What color is the block?

4. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

54 is the only year i beleive that the engine is cream.....john

5. As mentioned, if stock, it's a 239 Y block. There are also 256, 272, 292, & 312 Y blocks which look more or less identical from the outside. Lots of Ys seem to be prone to having parts swapped, so it could be a later engine.

Be aware, also, that there are two different 239 Y blocks; primarily you find one version in cars, and the other in trucks, but that isn't a 100% true statement. There are some significant internal differences between the two versions (one was built in Dearborn, and the other in the Cleveland engine plant).

Casting numbers can help distinguish between the two.

6. chuckbob

chuckbob

They are correct. the 1954 239 Y block was cream with Red valve covers and tophat. The rest (1955 onward) were red blocks.

Here is a link to Y block engine codes to help you out, as a lot of times the 239 was swapped out for a larger Y block later on.
    I had a 54 Crestline that had a 292 in it from an earlier swap.

http://www.ford-y-block.com/Block identification.htm

7. TUCK66

TUCK66
    from CORONA,CA.

Hey thanx a bunch as far as the color...its pretty rough and just looks rusty and maybe painted black at one time i will take a closer look when i get home....i am told that it runs so im going to try to fire it up but gotta change all battery and ground cables first....so if i get it going i wanna get rid of the tea pot and four barrel it up ...thanx oh yeah where are the casting numbers located at....thanx again

8. Chuckbob's link will show the block codes & where to find them.

*** If you decide to change the teapot carb, be aware that it's usually more involved than just swapping the carb & manifold- you often need to change the distributor too. This is not a major deal unless you have a '54-early '55 engine, and especially if it's one of the 239s. It can turn into a big can of worms if you don't understand all the details, and possibly run a lot worse than when you started.

Once you find the block code, we can get into this topic a bit more if you want.

9. Here's the 239 in my customline. Stock paint scheme.

My manifold us silver though as I could not find any high heat cream at the time.

Good luck with your project!
    Sent from my iPhone using TJJ sucka!

Attached Files:

10. TUCK66

TUCK66
    from CORONA,CA.

Thanx again i'll start doing some research work and try to detirmine what i have

11. TUCK66

TUCK66
    from CORONA,CA.

I need a little more help on this again.....i am just asuming i have a tea pot carb on this from all the pics i see this dsnt look like any of them it just looks like a holley with a 3 bolt base.......

12. TUCK66

TUCK66
    from CORONA,CA.

Im sorry what is ebu

13. That is the carb model for a '54. Then came ECG I believe. It probably some variation of a 94 or 2100 series carb? I'll post a pic of an ECG that I have handy. Can you post a pic of what you have?

14. Sent from my iPhone using TJJ sucka!

Attached Files:

15. TUCK66

TUCK66
    from CORONA,CA.

Yeah thats what i have....so thats not the teapot with all the bad history....and thanks cactus1 for the pics and all your help..

16. You are very welcome. Happy motoring!

17. TUCK66

TUCK66
    from CORONA,CA.

Just wanted to bring this one back up as i have been doing alot of work on this 54....cleaned the block and heads up a little and they are painted cream....wondering if this is the original engine or someone rebuilt it and painted it creme again?? I sure would'nt anyway i could not see any numbers back by the dizzy and i certainly cant see anything on the left side of the block but i gotta do a little more cleaning up i was amazed when i seen the cream paint tho didnt expect that at all thanx again everbody for all your help....and i got it running..and drove it the previous owner said it hadnt been running in five years i will try to post some pics of it....thanx again