Register now to get rid of these ads!

Algon fuel injection, and accessories

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Algon, Feb 25, 2008.

1. TINYBORE

TINYBORE
    from USA

This is the smaller of the two drive shafts with bearing and seals.

[​IMG]

The snout casting is very rough looking.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.
  2. TINYBORE

TINYBORE
    from USA

There is a second casting that that bolts to this snout. This has a brass drive shaft and is what the drive pulley mounts to. The end of this is machined to a circle and there is another casting that clamps to this. This is the part that mounted to the offset plate on the motor. Pictures will show this a little better as I get I little further along.

I did not realize that there were two sites. JJ and HAMB. Appears to be a mirror but the picture links work so I'll post here.

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Mine drove directly off the nose of my Chrysler cam. Al had cast some timing covers to locate the pump. He had me make the female splined drive and he broached the splines into it. It was brass. Normally Al would have made and sold the drive but there was some reason he didn't do it that time. Maybe I looked to poor to afford a store bought one.

4. TINYBORE

TINYBORE
    from USA

He must have been an interesting guy.

Talked to a few seal places. I guess the C/R was for the old Chicago Rawhide company. Sold to SKF (like the rest of our American companies) who no longer makes this sort of seal. They do offer the 4984 as a substitute in Nitrile.

http://www.skfextranet.com/Catalogs/457010/sealdetail.asp?s=4984

You will see this is an open face thing that does not look like it could hold squat for pressure.

The pump uses two of these in parallel, so it must have been a leak path they had some problems with. Any advice? Maybe not try and put the old girl back into action?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. TINYBORE

TINYBORE
    from USA

Here is a picture of the brass secondary drive shaft.

[​IMG]

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It is a regular lip seal such as is on timing covers and such to keep oil from leaking around the dampener. Usually you can find a double lip seal in the same size to seal in both directions. I just put (I think) the exact same seals on my '26 Dodge Bros. water pump shaft. If it was me I would try it.

7. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

8. TINYBORE

TINYBORE
    from USA

Nice looking car. Spent some time looking at some of the projects people have built. Some very nice workmanship and skills here!

I plan to try use the replacement seals. I'll mount two back to back like the original setup.

I need to make up a test jig before I get too far along. Cheaper than sticking it on a motor.

The fuel system will be used on boosted engine and I noticed where one poster had wrote about the aircraft pumps only being able to run in the 5 - low teens pressure. This can't be right for this pump as I know it was injected into the high pressure side of the compressor.

ALGON had posted this picture which is very similar to the mounting used on this pump. Rather than round, its squared up at the mounting. The clamp part is very similar as well but has two mounting holes in the side where it bolts to the offset plate.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=419012&d=1204408249

9. TINYBORE

TINYBORE
    from USA

These are the replacement SKF seals for the original C/R ones that were used in the pump. I was not sure about the materials they used, so I have been soaking them. I was thinking to put them both in this direction. The original are in a sort of back to back but it would seem that there would be less chance of leaking this way.

[​IMG]

10. TINYBORE

TINYBORE
    from USA

New bearings and seals are installed now. This picture shows the pump's internals:
    [​IMG]

This is what the mounting snout and drive shaft with gear look like. There is no tension pulley so they just rotated the pump and clamped it down to get the belt setup right.
    [​IMG]

11. OneStopImpalaShop

OneStopImpalaShop

anyone have a small block chevy ALGON air cleaner for sale? Email me pix and price if you do to [email protected]

12. Own a oval base for the s/b Chevy injection, looking for the top myself. How about a photo of what that top section would look like, ribbed or ? with the name ALGON in raised letters.

13. Algon Injected

Algon Injected

Here is some pics of the Algon oval air cleaner. These were promo photos taken for advertisement. Pic 2 can be seen in some Vic Hubbard ads. It was only made for the small block chevrolet. Al told me it didn't work out too well - air flow problems. As you can see the stacks are replaced by runners cast ito the base. Also note the photographer had the air cleaner on backwards blocking the distributor and water necks!
    Still a cool looking piece for sure.

Algon Injected
    =========================================

Attached Files:

14. KK500

KK500

The air cleaner is installed correctly in the pic. It is offset forward to clear the distributor. The hole under the front is of course the oil filler tube on a Chevy. The rearmost RH runner (No. 7) is severly compromised in shape because of the offset tho.
    The pic shows a later manifold with the bolt-on water outlets, the earlier version with the cast-in, straight-up outlets work fine (if you screw the elbows in place b4 the aircleaner). To fix the situation in the pic........redrill the outlet mounting holes and re-clock them facing forward.

Jim

15. Algon Injected

Algon Injected

Jim,

You sure are right. It is on correctly and that is the oil breather tube hole not the distributor hole! My brain must have been thinking SB Ford I guess. The casting is the earlier version though. Cast in risers came on the later manifolds. Repositioning the water necks might do the trick as you mentioned.
    Anyways it is apparent the air cleaner was a bad design which is likely why it didn't catch on. Probably designed to fit one of the limited available sizes of elements of the time.
    Still wish I had one. Have always liked finned aluminum parts!

16. 34andy

34andy
    from WA

Here's an early Algon Intake for a Ford FE engine.
    Can anyone confirm that this is for a high-riser?
    Intake ports are 2.625" x 1.3" -Andy

Attached Files:

17. 34andy

34andy
    from WA

My Algon injection manifold, timing cover, water pump & fuel pump bolted up to a Small Block Chevy. -Andy

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71, Deuces and Hightone111 like this.
  18. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

There was a setup on a High Riser 427 in an old sprint car that ran at Calistoga in the 70's, was great to watch, and there was also an Offy running at the same time, and a 289 Ford from Napa. The 427 car would kinda tiptoe through the corners, and then blast by two or three cars on the straights- sounded great coming off turn 4 with open headers, couldn't hear those liddle Chebbies at all LOL- and looked great with the pentroof covers sticking out of the hood. The parts from the car got split up, one buddy got the best set of heads for his Falcon drag car, another got the other set and the Algons for his pulling truck, had it running for a while, but I think he lost interest after trying to run against trucks with much larger engines. I have the headers off of it out in the shed, use them on my test/run in stand.
    I've got a '65 Vic Hubbard catalog with the Algon ads, and it lists just about every engine you ever heard of- sounded like he would just build a system for whatever you had as necessary. Stuff used to be all over the place around here at swaps and such in the old days

19. Boldsmobile

Boldsmobile
    from W.Mass

Recently acquired.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  20. Normbc9

Normbc9

Hopefully these photo's may either answer or cause more questions. I used an Algon system on a inline GMC 302 with a twelve port head years ago. It was a good system and the factory folks were always very supportive of the user of their product. SoCal Speed Shop may still have some old Algon information.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

21. Boldsmobile

Boldsmobile
    from W.Mass

22. Normbc9

Normbc9

Rich Fox,
    I had an Algon Injected 12 port GMC 302 in a '37 Chevy that was gutted out to lighten it. The setup was simple, easy to understand and very dependable. My engine used a Howard flat tappet cam with mushroom lifters and later I switched to a Chet Herbert Roller setup which wasn't cheap but it sure made a difference in the elapsed times. Al Gonsales was a prince of a man and sure had some good ideas. He poured his heart into this facet of fuel management an delivery. He sure is missed today.
    Normbc9

23. dwcustom

dwcustom

Picked one up at Turkey Run years ago for early Pontiac. Modified it to fit late Pontiac 455, and have been converting to electronic using a spider injection system from a Vortec Chevrolet. Not high on my priority list, so it's been a long time project. Might finish it and use it some day in my Model "A" Tudor.

Attached Files:

24. 34andy

34andy
    from WA

That's a nice setup! What engine does it fit?

-Andy

25. Boldsmobile

Boldsmobile
    from W.Mass

"modern" Oldsmobile Big Blocks. 400,425,455

Plan on using it on a 1965 425 A block.

26. toxictom

toxictom

...:)

Attached Files:

27. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Can an Algon base be rebuilt with Hilborn hardware ?

28. Normbc9

Normbc9

The systems developed by Al Gonsalves (ALGON) were well thought out. He had a big interest in performance engines and loved racing both on the Strip and the Oval tracks. I have two of those systems Both are still functioning well. There is still a stock of parts at a close relative's home in the Bay Area. The systems were simple, clean and easy to work with. If you use the Search Engine more information is available online. Unfortunately he passed and is missed by many.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

29. Normbc9

Normbc9

The systems developed by Al Gonsalves (ALGON) were well thought out. He had a big interest in performance engines and loved racing both on the Strip and the Oval tracks. I have two of those systems Both are still functioning well. There is still a stock of parts at a close relative's home in the Bay Area. The systems were simple, clean and easy to work with. If you use the Search Engine more information is available online. Unfortunately he passed and is missed by many. By mistake I showed a Hillborn system for the V-8 unit. I'll look through my files for a photo of the ALGON unit.
    Normbc9

30. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Love that drive,,reminds me of how Graham drove there Superchargers

Attached Files: