Register now to get rid of these ads!

How-To: make screw dimples in sheet metal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oj, Oct 6, 2011.

1. oj

oj

This gizmo is made from common stuff, i used a 1/2drive X 5/8 socket, a short piece of pipe, a 1/4 bolts and some 3/8 X .058 tube.

What this will do is create a dimple in sheet metal for a screw or bolt head, in this case a 1/4" fastenor.
    To make the tool i used and old 1/2drive X 5/8 socket as the receiver for the forming dies. Pic 1 shows the socket, 1/4 bolt and washer, i put the washer on the bolt and drive it into the socket - pic 2 - this will automatically center the bolt for welding. Pic 3 & 4 show the welded bolt and the bolt trimmed to length - the bolt acts as a locating guide for the dies.

Attached Files:

2. oj

oj

The next 2 pics show a piece of pipe - they measure pipe funny, this piece has about a 7/8"id and od is about 1 1/8". I cut a short section off it, welded a #10fender washer (reamed to tight 1/4") to one section and then joined the 2 sections back together so the fender washer is inside about 3/8 or so. This is one of the dies.

Attached Files:

3. oj

oj

The next pic shows 2 pcs of 3/8 X .058 chrome moly, they are exactly 1/4" inside diameter, one piece has a square cut on the end and the other has a bevel for forming a countersunk pocket. These are the other dies. The tool is done, now to use it.

Attached Files:

4. oj

oj

I drilled a 1/4 hole in 18ga steel, the 1st pic shows the drilled sheetmetal over the receiver with the 1/4 guide protruding. The square cut 3/8 is being slid down over the guide in pic 2, when the tube is tight against the metal i smack with a hammer and rotate the tube as there may be imperfections in the tube etc and rotating will make a cleaner impression. Pic 3 shows the dimple that is formed inside the receiver/socket.
    Now you need to raise the dimple, shown next with the pipe.

Attached Files:

5. oj

oj

The dimple is partially formed, it is kicked inward and to make it seat we have to raise it with the pipe.
    Pic 1 shows the pipe going over the guide pin (thru fender washer inside) and smack with hammer while rotating, the 2nd pic shows the finished dimple and the 3rd pic has a button head bolt seated.
    To get a counter sink: after completing the dimple steps anothe step is done using the 3/8 tube with a beveled end. The 4th pic show the tube being slid over the locating pin and smack with hammer but be careful not to break thru. The last pic shows the formed dimple with a countersunk fastener.

Attached Files:

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

7. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

Needs to go on the Tools thread.....nice!

8. very cool, ill add this to my kit.

9. shelby1

shelby1
    from Lillian,Al

cool....very simple but with big results. Thanks for posting
    Kenny

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

Very cool thanks!

11. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Hell yeah! Thanks for posting man.

12. Looks tidy, thanks for the tip!

13. squirrel

squirrel

If you can do that with various stuff laying around, imagine what a guy with a lathe could come up with. Thanks!

14. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

That is awesome.....thanks for posting

15. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice!
    Thanks for sharing the info

16. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Very cool! I'll be using this tip.