Register now to get rid of these ads!

For Sale - A beautiful, all new, “HAMBster” race car.

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Skip Pipes, Oct 3, 2011.

1. For Sale - A beautiful, all new, “HAMBster” race car.

Meticulous, quality workmanship in a VERY competitive HA/GR build (see specs).

This car was engineered from the ground up to be readily convertible to SDRA rules, and to be NHRA legal in 10.0+ altered class with the addition of suitable body and wheels.

Designed, built, and tuned by its well experienced owner, it is un-raced for recent personal reasons.

Please see his HAMB build thread for more of the story, and more pictures as well.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488608

Asking $8,000.00 (nowhere near what’s in it). No trades, please.

Contact Skip Pipes, (714) 404-6495.

Specifications –

Engine – 270 GMC
    Pistons – custom JE flattops with BBC pins
    crank – cryo-treated
    rods – cryo-treated & bushed
    flywheel – steel GMC
    head – ported & polished, tight chambers
    valves – 305 Chevy racing, fully unshrouded

Carburetion – three custom Holly/Ford 94s

Ignition – Pertronix

Transmission – Saginaw four speed
    Shifter – customized Hurst “Competition Plus”

Clutch – Centerforce 10.5” racing

Rear end – GM 10 Bolt 3.45 gear set with spare GM Posi, new brakes

Wheels –
    rear- new Coker l78s on new “Rockets”
    front – new motorcycles on new 2001+ Sportster 19” x 2.25”ers with sealed bearings

Gauges & Tach – new Moon set

Seat – customized new Kirky with new Autopower belts

Wheelbase – 130”
    Weight – 1550 lbs

Attached Files:

2. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

what make cam; have you run it at all

3. It's a Clay Smith regrind. The engine has been fired several times to set timing and carbs. But, the car has never been driven.

It's a really nice car that can go HA/GR or SDRA. I originally had a 292 Chevy in it during the early phase of construction. If you look at the build thread you will see the Chevy engine.

4. Old28

Old28

Skip,

I am sorry to see that you will be selling the car.

The person that gets this car will have a fine ride and car they can be proud to race and show. Your work on it is first rate. I was looking forward to making some passes with you at the "Patch" & Eagle Field when I finished the car.

Best of luck to you and your family in the future.

Tom Welch

5. HOO-FUCKIN'RAY...YOU SAID H.A.M.B.ster!. Let's hear it for a little sack

6. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Folks, this car is a long way from being Skip's first build. I've watched it go together, it's ready to do battle, and will comport itself well. If I could afford to campaign another car I'd have this one. :cool:

7. bobw

bobw

All you other California HAMBsters should buy it just to keep it from smoking you guys.:D

8. I thought I'd share a bigger picture.

Attached Files:

9. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Skip I mentioned the car a couple times this weekend at the CHRR. Good Luck, Rocky

10. firebirds30

firebirds30

What a gorgeous HAMBster! May I ask what the inside width of the cockpit is?

11. The car is still for sale.

While I'd rather have cash to help fund my LSR project, I will consider trades for a Model A Coupe project.

Also, I missed this question in November. Nonetheless, for those who want to know the inside dimension of the cockpit. Where the front hoop of the roll cage meets the frame it is 21 inches. Where the rear hoop meets the cage it is 21 1/2 inches.

Also, I'm going to post this in the main classified forum.

12. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Is your car still for sale, you have the cage width but whatt is the cage height ?

13. It's a tall cage, I'm 6.1" tall and 275 lbs and I fit.

14. This is a mixed bag of emotions, but here goes.
    I’ve closed another chapter by selling my HAMB Dragster. Helped the new owner load it up yesterday and its on the way to Canada.

In a perfect world I wouldn’t have sold it, but it has memories associated with it that I need to distance myself from. After the Bonneville Roadster runs I may come back with a radical design that I’ve been dreaming about, just not this year. Driver sitting alongside the engine!

I still have the 270 GMC & 4-speed for sale.
    Thanks,
    Skip Pipes

15. Old28

Old28

I am glad the deal is done and the healing can start.:)

I for one will miss having you run in the SDRA group, but this move was the right thing to do. Get that LSR Roadster done so you can move forward with your HAMBster idea.;)

If you would, can you send me a PM with your phone # so I can give you a call. Thanks Tom

16. nexxussian

nexxussian

Sorry to hear you have to distance yourself at this point.

Glad to hear you were able to sell, I hope you got what you needed.

Best of luck with your Bonneville project, will you be there this year, or are you holding out to bring the car?

17. bobw

bobw

Skip, you can always be proud of the great car that you built. Hopefully the hew owner will bring it to your area for some races.

Best of luck with the Salt car.

18. I'm planning on 2013 for the LSR Roadster at Bonneville, trying to make El Mirage in November.

19. who was the lucky person and in what part of Canada?

20. ScottV

ScottV

Look forward to the LSR build, your work is phenomenal ... I said it before and I'll say it again, I think you flush more talent than I will ever have !!!

Any specs on the LSR yet, power, class, configuation ???

Thanks, ScottV

21. Jeff/21
    Al Kaufmann from Swift Current, Saskatchewan
    Hi ScottV
    I’m building a Blown Fuel Roadster. It’s a stretched wheelbase car (without fenders) and I’m running in F/BFR which means it’s a 180 CID (3.0L) class with a turbo’d Toyota engine making 950 HP.
    Skip

22. P-Dog

P-Dog

Skip,

I saw a full body 4 cylinder Volvo with a hairdryer running on everclear run a 6.85 et on the drag strip so I'm sure the potential is there!

Best of luck!

P-Dog

23. Old28

Old28

Skip, what is the current record at salt flats and EM? for a F/BFR:confused:

How much fuel you going to start with:confused:

Thanks for the #, will call you this weekend.

24. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Skip you beat me to it, 1600 mile road trip one way from Skips place to mine, I agreee with ScottV you fabrication work is amazing

25. So, it’s my turn to brag on Al Kaufmann!
    We busted this car down into pieces last Saturday and loaded it in his pickup for the ride back to Canada. Last night he sent me this pic of the car reassembled.
    Simply amazing.

Tom,
    El Mirage record is "Open" with a minimum of 180 MPH
    Bonneville is a standing record @220.831 MPH

Attached Files:

26. Old28

Old28

Canadianal -- Welcome to the HAMBster group. You spent little time getting the car back to a roller, at this rate you should have the big 292++ motor running in a week or two.:D

Hope you start a build thread on completing the car modification from a HA/GR to a SDRA style race car. We love to see each and every car as it progresses to a finish, even thow we know they are never done.:rolleyes:

(old28) Tom

27. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

I cant take all the credit for getting the car back together if it wasnt for my wife and kids it wouldnt have happended at all. I am just a one armed mechanic for a while due to a motorcycle accident they helped move things and hold parts while got things together . thanks very much for the welcome Tom
    I will start another thread if thats Ok with Skip as its his baby. My fab skills are no where close to Skips but i will try to follow by example.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  28. I think starting you own build thread is a great idea. The torch has been passed and I'm excited to watch the cars progress under your ownership. Nobody is born with fab skills, they're developed through experience, I think you're being modest, so post away.

I expect you'll develop this car into a really fast ride :D
    Skip

29. awesome, great to see the passing of the torch, that car is a fine example, and will be a blast to drive I'm sure.

Skip, watching your roadster build, have been considering those little huffed'n'puffed inlines of late, certainly a great platform to build on.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)