Register now to get rid of these ads!

tell me how installing windshield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banditomerc, Oct 5, 2011.

1. banditomerc

banditomerc

my 1947 ford.I have the glass in the new rubber...whats next?what is the procedure/i have nylon rope,lubricate(for windshield)whats next/can i do it alone?

2. Ford Guy

Ford Guy

It's easier with two people....

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

....especially if one of them has done it before.

I have put split windshields in my myself, and done OK, but a second set of hands is good to have. That glass gets pretty slippery if you use liquid soap for lube.

4. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I like to do it when it's hot or the garage is really warm.
    You have the glass in the gasket, and the rope in the setting groove O.K. get a friend to hold it against the frame or flange , (if going in from the outside) pull the rope down so the inside lip of the gasket starts to set or goes over the frame /flange, little at a time , work slowly I use stiff plastic Bondo spreaders to help it along.
    I like to put the gap or split of the gasket at the center bottom, some guys I know do it at the top.
    Have your friend help from the outside with a little pressure, not much. It's easy to crack one. He more or less is like holding the gasket in so it doesn't pop out once set. he follows you along.
    I broke two on a little VW Bug I was doing for a guy, they fit tight as hell and it was winter, so I took the car & the third windshied to a windshield replacement place and set it for me very inexpensive I think he charged me like 30 bucks.
    Just try it, it really isn't hard to do , if the fit is correct.

5. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

as I remember, you need to get the center in doing like a butterfly type fold then work your way out to the ends. really do want 2 or even 3 people. I assume you know to put it in from the inside. I found origional instructions through google when I did mine. good luck, it's a pain

6. old me

old me
    from Iowa

I do as chaos does, but I'll fill a squirt bottle with a dab of dish detergent and water mix and spray it on the rubber and the body to help everything slide into place a little easier.

7. I was a Auto Glass guy. A split windshield is a little tricky for a novice, since you're setting the windshields from the inside.
    It's better with 3 people; 2 holding each windshield on the inside and one pulling the rope on the outside. One or both guys keep one hand grasping around the center divide where the glass is exposed for installation of center pillar...in other words, you don't want the glass edges hitting each other during installation or they'll crack.

8. I install the rope in the gasket and then, spray sparingly silicone in the area where the rope was installed. That way its not a mess. Silicone spray should not be used in bodyshops or cars prepped for paint...only painted cars

9. I've also done V-butts where I've put one windshield in at a time, which works well with 2 people. Its been over a decade since I did a split...so I'm trying to think about what I did.

10. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I just got a couple of guys to help me put the windshield in my 50 chevy. It goes on from the outside but I'm not familiar with the 47 ford. My 38 chevy went in from the inside. That sucked. On the 50 I put the rubber on the windshield then put the reveal moulding in the rubber. I then used some 2" masking tape to tape the rubber to the glass on the outside. Soaked the rope in some soapy water then layed it in the body flange groove starting at the top middle and going around to the bottom on each side. Taped the loose ends (about a foot each) to the inside of the windshield. I sprayed the rubber and body flange generously with soapy water. We sat the windshield onto the body flange with the rubber over the flange on the bottom side. My buddies held the windshield up against the body while I pulled the rope from the inside. They kept downward and inward pressure on the glass while I pulled the rope. It helps a lot to have a couple of suction cups to pull down on. After we had the rubber pulled inside the body it still looked like it needed to go in some more at the top as the rubber wasnt rolled in as far up there as it was on the bottom. I scared the hell out of them when I got up on a step ladder and leaned down on the glass while slapping it with my hand. Kinda scared me too but you could see it going down and in, in the process. Like other things that fit tight, lubrication is the key.

11. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011