Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quiet Glass Packs....Anyone make such an item?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Another vote for Smitty's !!
    Nice rumble, but not loud.
    Cheers..........

2. I just put the smitty's on my 29, like them!! Almost to quiet until you get on it!!

3. toucan

toucan
    from sc

i put on the smittys and i like them but they are quiet!

4. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

I find the easiest way to quiet my exhaust is to wait for my hearing to get worse.

5. No doubt about it, these pipes have killer looks, real eye wash, but they are a tad loud.
    It will be hard to find pipes that look as nice but sound quieter.
    These are serious ticket bait, like motor cycle loud!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  6. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

a long pipe after a muffler (tail pipe) has an organ pipe resonant frequency of its own, which can re-amplify the sound that makes it through the muffler. Seems like I usually managed to get it just right so there is a loud drone right at a nice cruising speed. Been behind a few school buses whose exhaust was a lengthened tail pipe just to reach the back of the vehicle. When it goes through the gears it is loud. At some rpm. I think that is probably why there are Not many tailpipes longer than 1-2 feet on passenger vehicles with factory engineered systems. In 1968 Every kid with a 3rd generation Chevy Impala removed the resonators to get "the sound".

7. HUH!!!!:rolleyes:

8. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

JC Whitney makes a turbo style glasspack muffler. They are cheap and quiet.

9. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Harley spent a lot of money to get the exhaust tuned for best performance and everybody pulls them off. We used to get piles of them in the scrapyard. If you have the bike, it's a good idea to hang onto them. Many places are requiring them to have the stock exhaust. Better to have them around than to buy them from Harley.

I would use a mechanically baffled muffler because glass or steel wool will decay. Even Stainless wool will degrade.

It seems that as my hearing gets worse, noise bothers me more.

10. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Why have a "Glass Pack" if you don't want them to be loud ? They were made for better flow and to hear us coming ! Personally the smaller the glass pack the better ! Yes that means they will be loud too ! If you want quiet then just use a stock muffler . there is nothing wrong with quiet exhaust if you want to hear your radio ! :rolleyes:

Retro Jim

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For me, it was a space issue. I did not want the mufflers to be visible from beneath the vehicle. A wider bodied muffler would have meant moving it down, to clear other components, and have a safe thermal-distance from stuff that ought not get too hot.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like a low rumble at an idle or cruising through town and don't want to constantly hear the pipes blatting away on long road trips. For a lot of guys with really loud pipe a long road trip is 30 miles from home one way to an afternoon rod trot. For me a one day trip to a rod trot is often 150+ miles one way and then back home that night. And people look funny as hell driving down the road with loud pipes and ear plugs in their ears or those yellow or orange ear protectors on.

13. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

ON edit, as someone mentioned Harley's, you might want to check into the round baffles that can be inserted onto pipes. They make a big difference on Harley straight pipes, and may help you out too. Not real expensive either...
    Cheers.......

14. shocker998md

shocker998md

Its simple, longer glasspacks towards the rear of the car. My f100 has 2.25 pipes into 12inch cherry bombs but they are towards the back of the system. Myne aren't that bad because of where they are placed.

15. In the 70's I owned a '73 Caprice 400 small block that I had the local muffler shop install Walker made Chrysler Hemi style mufflers.
    The sweetest sound I ever heard.
    My Chevelle SS454 also has a similar set of Hemi mufflers.
    Very quiet with a deep Hemi sound.
    Wish I had the room to fit those on my Model A but space is at a premium.
    I'm not sure that Walker makes them anymore.

16. porters ... loud as you want them to be ...they respond ., and are quite when just cruisin.

17. It looks like Porter Mufflers are the unanimous choice of the board.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  18. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Ditto: on the Smitthy's and a nice tone can't beat em on a Flathead V8 in my opinion.:D

19. By a unanimous margin the HAMB members swayed me toward the Porter Mufflers to replace my noisy chambered pipes.
    As I understand it the Porters are a steel pack design, is that right?
    I was always under the impression the steel packs were noisier than glass packs but they live longer under heat.
    I ordered the 26" long Porters with hopes that they will quell some of the disturbance I'm creating now as I cruise past my wonderful neighbors.
    My wife refuses to ride anywhere in our Model A until it mellows out a bit.
    Hey........I enjoy her companionship, shouldn't I?
    A dealer in my area, Chop Shop in Woburn Mass., said he'd have them in a couple of days for me.
    Lenny is a new dealer with the Porter lineup and he sold out his initial shipment within a very short time.
    They must be a popular product as he can't keep them on the shelf.
    I hope these mufflers quell some of the rumble and resonance from this car. Right now I feel like a "ticket target".
    Wife's ears are bleeding from our last ride around town.

Attached Files:

20. I like the sound of Smithys. I plan on putting some on my Merc...

21. By a popular vote ( gentle persuasion ) the HAMB members convinced me to go with the PORTER MUFFLERS.
    While I cant say they're the quietest mufflers I've ever used, they do rank up there in quality, heft ( heavier construction than others ), sound and just plain good clean looks.
    They have a very pleasing deep mellow tone at idle and under cruise conditions.
    Much better sound control than my previous chambered pipe system.
    With my foot out to the radiator shell they bark like a possessed mountain lion.
    Excellent hot rod sound to them.
    There is a little drone going on at some speeds but I can remedy that with a little more acoustical padding and insulation in the rear cabin area I believe. It's due to an incomplete interior lacking a headliner and the last bits of needed sound deadening.
    Dave at Porter is very customer satisfaction oriented and is always available to assist his customers.
    Try them like I did....................you'll be happy to spend your hard earned money with Porter.

Attached Files:

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I have two mufflers from Stainless Specialties on my 27 and they are over 20 years old, so I guess stainless IS forever. When I redid my car last year I just polished them back to shiny and reinstalled them.

I bought the ones in the middle......Stainless Specialties makes 3 levels of sound.........quiet, a little louder, and loud. Mine are very quiet, although at a red light I can still hear the cammed up idle and it sounds cool. But going down the road I get very little sound at all. There still must be a good tone coming out of them though because I have had people in other cars tell me at the next light they were riding beside me to listen to my pipes. :D

Don

23. I was running Stainless Specialties polished stainless 24" long chambered pipes prior to purchasing my PORTERS.
    They looked show car pretty but the noise was motorcycle loud.
    Everyone told me how nice they sounded while driving away from them.
    Others would ask me "When are you putting mufflers on it?" if I was standing at rest and they were beside me or inside my car.
    I'll stick with my Porters thank you very much.

24. I plan on putting two Thrush perforated glass packs in front of the rear end with two Porters at the bumper.. I'm going to try the Porters by themselves at the bumper first.

I tried two Porters in front of the rear end last year and it was too loud.. It's a Pontiac 462 with a big cam and heavily ported heads..

Those Porters are very nice mufflers....

Attached Files:

25. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Thanks for all the votes on Porters. We appreciate all the chatter! Here's a new video of an Off Topic '76 C-10 Silverado. I hope it's OK to post.

http://youtu.be/dNPMNoUIWPY

26. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

I've got Smithys on the coupe behind a SBC and I think they are to quiet!! Good luck with the Porters

27. glass packs make sound by the length, long is quiet
    also whats inside?? you need louveres to quite things down, when i built my own glaspacks 90% were put on backwards to quiet them down, that is the louveres into the exhaust flow

still got the machinery to make the louvere tubes, dont think i will go back into business and a fancy domer to crimp the ends, some spendy machinery there
    I waited 40 plus years to do show cars and it is a nice full time hobby:D

28. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

I am currently trying to decide on the right mufflers and twin pipes for my 1960 Buick Electra, It's a mild custom and I don't want the full blown glasspacks sound, just a nice rumble that still gets attention while cruising through town but that won't interfere with my 1950s music, I sure appreciate the input, seems like I'm now leaning toward Porters or Smittys, any suggestions..?

29. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

I like the cheap, long cherry bombs , the have good sound at cruise speeds , and come to life when nudged....IMHO , I think you really pay for a name more than anything else when you buy "the other mufflers"....

30. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Lean a little further towards the Porters and pick a set up, you absolutely will not be disappointed. I too like my 1950s tunes and can hear them perfectly even at 60/70 mph above the nice mellow rumble.
    Good luck.
    Paul