Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best autobody dvd?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by familyman14, May 3, 2008.

1. familyman14

familyman14

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good autobody dvd. I've already got a suggestion for a good book, (Automobile sheetmetal repair by Robert L. Sargent ). Also I am interested in anything related to a 53 Chevy. Thank you.

2. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I'm guessin' that you're looking for a dvd that deals in "real'' body &
    fender work, and not jus' the "putty & squirt" route. Both of the Ron
    Covell and Ron Fournier web sites sell dvds that deal with real metal
    work. For a dvd on the basics of straightening metal, filler work and
    the selection of paint materials and their use, check into renting a
    dvd from one of the online sites. Probably not alot of difference in any
    of these that would be available, quality/contant wise.

good luck,
    Swankey devils C.C.

"Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

3. familyman14

familyman14

Thanks Bro, you're right I am looking for real body work . Not a big fan of bondo! I will look into your suggestions.

4. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

A friend posted my short-version instructional video on the metal shapers site, entitled simple dent repair at the bottom of this page:

http://metalshapers.org/101/index.shtml

It shows how basic high quality dent repair can be.

If you are on a slow connection, this picture album might help:

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/communityalbums.cgi?action=openalbum&albumid=9980121727059

Wray Schelin has a video entitled dent repair and the shrinking disc: [email protected]

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

5. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Go to SmartFlix.com...they have a wide selection of how-to videos for rent, including Covell, Fournier, and many others.

6. skidsteer

skidsteer

I have a copy of the first Hot Rod library DVD, entitled "complete bodywork and sheetmetal preparation". It is excellent on installing a complete new floor, they used a '70 Chevelle, but should apply to any car. Also good on disassembly in preparation for rebuild. You are welcome to it for free, as long as you agree to pass it on to some other HAMB'er who could use it when you're done viewing it.

TailDrag likes this.
  7. Slide

Slide

This is an excellent book. But keep in ind it was written back when labor was cheap (support your family on $1.00/hour) and parts were expensive.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1638&itemType=PRODUCT

[​IMG]

And John Kelly (above) won't spam his own stuff, but he's got some real good videos of his own.

Also, they reprint the 49-53 Chevrolet service manual (with 54 Supplement). It's very helpful in figuring out how to take your car apart and put it back together. You can get it from the Filling Station (or at least used to!)

8. familyman14

familyman14

Thank you everyone for the info. Stomp n steer, PM has been sent.

9. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

John Kelly's video is good.

10. 53burb

53burb

Best autobody dvd?......MFS 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.........KNUX!

11. familyman14

familyman14

Whats MFS?

12. VespaJay

VespaJay

MFS is the "Mad Fabricators Society", check out their website and dig their videos:

http://www.madfabricators.com/dvd.htm

Here's the preview of Volume 5:
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q3PJBQhi8nM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q3PJBQhi8nM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

[​IMG]

13. familyman14

familyman14

Stomp n steer, I recieved the dvd the other day. Thank you very much. I haven't had a chance to sit and watch it yet. I guess I'll have to wait for a rainy day. have a good summer!

14. Hunka-Junka

Hunka-Junka

I realize this thread is a few years old, but wow! Great thread!

I was searching for "instructional video" when I found this thread.

I've got a few rusty cars I want to rebuild into Hot Rods, but I haven't ever done bodywork before. So, I was looking for some good instructional DVDs that I could learn from. These on here sound pretty good!

Has anyone here ever seen a series of videos made by a guy named Kevin Tetz? Are they any good or are they a waste of time and money? I'm kind of leery about his videos because his website says he is the host of the TV show called "Trucks!" and most of those kinds of shows tend to just be glamorous 30-minute commercials for expensive parts, tools, and unnecessary products, all filmed in a state-of-the-art auto repair facility. Maybe they're good videos, but like I said, I'm a little leery right now.

If anyone has any other excellent instructional videos, please add them to this thread.

Thanks.

15. Meyer

Meyer

Bump of an old thread

I got emailed a link to the Tetz DVD's today. Any input on those?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

16. BarryA

BarryA

Best money I ever spent on metal shaping (tools, travelling to the US and Europe a couple of times, books, dvds) is David Gardiner's (Mindover on here) 'Bodywork Restoration Tutorial'. Order it at metalshapingzone.com
    He shows various techniques, everything based on hand tools. Years later I still refer back to it regularly.

17. marqueb

marqueb

Two things....
    First, another vote for Gardiner's DVD per BarryA - it is great
    Second, the Ron Covell stuff is all top-notch
    Third (OK, three things) do NOT NOT NOT rent from smartflix. They are lower than pond scum. They buy the DVDs from the creator at the retail price, then rent them out without paying the creator a DIME in royalties. They have evidently found a legal loophole and defended themselves against a challange, but just 'cause it is legal don't make it right! If they stay in business, the experts will simply quit making videos to share their expertise with us! Don't do it!