Register now to get rid of these ads!

Essex

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldrodder43, Oct 4, 2011.

1. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

Is there anyone on here that has done a Hudson Essex? Rarely see one of these. I am building up a '29 Coupe; BTW, I need doors! I've been 4 years, now into my 5th. Money and Time are the two major obstacles, like many others plight too. perley

2. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

3. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Here is a 1928 Tudor my Son and me did 20 years ago. He has it now.

Attached Files:

4. budd

budd

5. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

Yes, that looks like what I need. Two belt lines under the window? One narrow and one wide? Thanks for the thought and the offer, but yeah, loooonnng ways away. perley

6. Greyhound is your friend. I've shipped doors that way.

7. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

Yeah when ya need parts like that, your in the same country!!! Think if you were Down Under and needed them!!:eek:

8. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

What do you think it would cost for them to bring them to the East Coast?

9. 1929Essex

1929Essex

man essex is ridiculous to find parts for. I have a '29 sedan turned truck but I'm keeping what I have left of the rear doors because of how impossible they are to get. I've found a lot of my parts by ebay...search essex, you probably wont find doors on there but email the sellers and tell them what you are looking for. I've gotten many parts like that because the more people that know your looking the better chance you have. Theres a lot of essex stuff in canada too, being that your in Maine it may not be as difficult for you to get them over the border. Hope you find what your looking for. heres my essex,

Attached Files:

• R5.jpg
      R5.jpg
      File size:
      551.6 KB
      Views:
  10. koolkat269

koolkat269

here is my moms essex pickup

Attached Files:

11. I_am_who_I_am

I_am_who_I_am

There's a shop here in San Antonio that built a '27 Essex and the fabricator ended building a set of doors for it because they were hard to locate.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

12. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

29Essex. Yes, I know what you are saying. Essex very scarce around here. But I've seen in the forums where Canadians in some parts apparently have more available. Nice job on the sedan/truck. perley

13. budd

budd

14. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I have a 31 Essex that was born a 2 door. Of course I coulden't leave it that way! I boxed the frame and streched it 32 " and looked for two years for doors to fill the holes. I even drove it that way! I finally found two Hudson doors in Denver (I am in Ma,) and was tickled pink to get them, even though they were rear doors and I had to fill in the cut outs for the rear fenders.

I also bought a grille on E-Bay, and a guy from New Zeland tried to buy it off of me.
    When I told him that I was replacing the old rusted one that I had, he wanted to buy that one. I realy felt bad not selling it to him but with parts so hard to find I wanted to keep it.

In 5 years, I only saw one windshield bracket that holds the windshield open, and I missed that one by being too cheep not to bid high.

I may have a 30 L.F. door, I will check.

15. ratster

ratster

here's my 27 essex that i built

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  16. ratster

ratster

i'm looking for another essex body....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  17. 29essex

29essex

This is my 29 Essex. Bought it several years ago and have been slowly working on it over the last 4 years. Got it driveable but a lot of work left. The body will eventually get completely done and painted. Frame is a repro 34 Ford modified some to fit the body better. 318 s/u with a mild cam, 4 bbl, and 3 spd manual. 8" rear with 3:00 gears. I made the headers. They will eventually be painted nice, too. I know some people may not like them but I built them in memory of my late uncle. He ran jalopies back in the 60's and the headers resemble the exhaust he built for his car. Parts are hard to find. I was lucky to find a visor pretty quick after buying the body and just recently bought all the garnish mouldings.

I also have a 30 Essex 2 dr. sedan I hope to get to some day. Sorry. Don't have pictures of it on the computer. Good solid car. All the body parts, panels, and chassis are there except for half the hood. Have a 354 hemi and a mopar 4 spd. waiting to go into it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  18. essexrat

essexrat

They are definitley hiding here in Canada...I've got 1 30 2 door coach...had 2, but traded for my 49 Poncho Delivery, a 29 4 door coach and 2 28 4 door coaches...all located in the same yard...Planning on keeping the other 30, but would consider parting out the rest???? They are about 5 hours away, so wouldn't be able to get them quickly..

19. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Ive had 2 of 'em, they were the #3 seller prior to the depression, so they arent too rare...

20. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

29Essex. Looks exactly like mine, except I don't have mine driveable yet. About the same condition though, except without doors. I keep plugging away at it. Mine didnt have any floor structure in it when I got it. I had to build all of it. Built my own frame too. Thanks or sharing. perley

21. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

Essexrat. WOW, you've got a treasure trove there! Oh dear, wish we lived closer! I know a guy near here who has a coupe and a 4 door coach, BUT neither have doors! I had a guy call me from a little south of here, said he has a '29 coupe complete in his barn, said he would take 3500 for it. I'd love to have it, but haven't won the lottery yet! Thanks for the input.

22. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

Thanks Shaggy. I guess that they were not as popular around here, as they are not very abundant. BUT, never know how many are hoarded away! Thanks

23. LowMOJO

LowMOJO

As previously mentioned, here is the 1927 Essex that Chris Galan of Bexar Bones Garage of San Antonio,Texas Built. And like the previous thread stated the doors were handmade cuz they did not come with the cab. He also turned the doors into suicide doors with homemade interlocking latch, so just in case your in a rush and the doors wasnt closed all the way or at a highway speed the locking mechanism that he built will keep the door from swinging open!:D

Attached Files:

24. [​IMG]
    This is a '31 Essex I built back in the late 70's. Used an Essex body on a long wheelbase Hudson frame. Used the Hudson hood and made longer side aprons and boards to make up the difference.
    You should expand your search for Hudson doors as they will fit your Essex body shell.

25. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

Thanks Rich for that tip. I had thought of that at one point, having seen what was supposed to be a Hudson coupe on I net. It had the same character lines as my Essex. But, I think I have found (at least one) door downstate along with some miscellaneous old tin. I haven't seen the whole thing yet. May be a whole car in pieces! I am going to go get it on Saturday. Wish me good luck folks! perley

26. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

And LoMo. That is a nice built essex. I can't believe he built his own doors. Wow. I actually have two doors for a '27 that came with my '29. Too bad that them that needs can't be automatically directed (by the BIG GUY) to those that have!

27. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Here's my '27 Essex p/u. It's apart right now for a complete rebuild.
    [​IMG]

28. ratster

ratster

Boyd who, some day i'll own your truck... post some picts of the rebuild

29. Ramblur

Ramblur

30Essex rs coupe. A survivor of sorts,can't bring myself to cut it up so throw me a bone with your Essex parts not used on your rods.:)
    [​IMG]

30. This one belongs to hamb member bscottstudio:

Attached Files: