Register now to get rid of these ads!

i broke my freakin arm.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Don't feel bad. Fred Astaire broke his wrist skateboarding well into his 70's. Then again, he didn't have to worry about making a living/paying the bills.
    At 51, I still skate with my kids, but lay off the verts, etc. and stick to flatland cruising.

2. S.F.

S.F.

well, at least you didnt break your balls trying to grind on a hand rail

3. belair

belair

was it a traditional skateboard?

4. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Getting old isn't for pussies, spent 8 weeks in a cast this past April-May myself. Stay of things with wheels that are meant for kids...stick with what you know, hot rods!

5. RodStRace

RodStRace

Guess you are trying a new challenge, proving the following sentence;

> Jim can fix stuff better than me with one hand tied behind his back! <

6. Old&Low

Old&Low

I hurt from thinkin' about your hurt. Hell, I still hurt from breaking my right leg skiing in 1980; took eight casts and 11 months on crutches, oh and the $30K of course. Get well as quick as you can and don't get too friendly with the pain meds!

7. Tony

Tony

That sucks Jim, hope you recover quickly and can get back at it in full force.

Last year i broke my right hand and was in a cast for 2 months..I write left handed, but do every thing else with my right..
    Really put's a damper on EVERYTHING.. I still worked on my project, but certainly didn't make any great progress.

get well soon man,
    Tony

8. Weasel

Weasel

So sorry to hear that Jim - what a bummer. Maybe now you can spend more time on the HAMB and 'develop' your keyboards skills....;)

9. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Sorry to hear that.....I wish you a speedy recovery

10. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

whoa, take it easy with the skateboard blaming! Your just clumsy...

Vic came by and picked up a 6 month old order of Dirt Bros shirts, maybe you'll get that 2 year old design printed up!

11. jipp

jipp

im healing to but fro a finger cut in half.. hope you heal.. it is wierd adjusting that is for sure how you do things... never notice how much i used that finger till i cant use it go figure.. heal fast.. elbo, ouch!!!
    chris.

12. 31whitey

31whitey

Im 35, and still skate alot. We have one of the, IF NOT the best concrete skateparks in the country in Whitefish, Montana. BIG, real deal bowl, and more different tech and flow areas. Montana in general was one of the states to embrace concrete skateparks.

I wear pads...all of em.

Definitely hit physical theraphy HARD if you want to get good mobility back.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  13. williebill

williebill

Good thing you're left handed.Every lefthander I know is somewhat ambidexterous,including me and all the lefties that work for me.It's those right handed people who only have a left arm and hand to keep their bodies balanced.Righties don't do shit with their left.I crushed my left thumb badly years ago.Besides the pain and my hand writing for several months,it didn't really slow me down.
    And like others have said,you can do more with one hand than most of us could do with four.Good luck!

14. jipp

jipp

you know some kid would dig having that. he would be all vintage hell yeah... these simple style boards are coming back into style... go figure i skated as a kid but not been on one since i shatter my left leg. of course the technology for wheels and trucks has changed 110%.. but whatever, you have to suffer some to be vintage :D

chris.

15. jipp

jipp

as a right hander i agree with you.. granted i play guitar.. so i do use my left fingers like a mofo.. so cutting my left index finger in half has me worried i wont be able to play again doctor thinks otherwise so im staying positive till then ( worse case i learn to be a slide player so my guitars are not going anywhere!!! all 30+ of the damn things.. they are worse than cars, they take up less space so you can have more :( i have them hanging all over the place... dusting sucks tho ).. there is no way in hell i could play guitar left handed even if i wanted to so bad.. i would just mentally be blocked.. us right handers///

chris.

16. Kinky6

Kinky6

SKATE TUFF OR DIE! :rolleyes:

O.K., I just had to nerf you a little. My legs are so bad I have trouble walking sometimes. I can't razz ya too much for getting out and hanging with the youngsters.

Hope you're on the mend soon. Kinky6 :cool:

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I got one of them skateboards back in the late 70's..when they still had steel wheels....like a roller skate nailed to the bottom of a 1x6..yeah hard core

My dad comes out and says , wanna know how to ride this thing ( i had already been around the block a X or 2:p)

He promptly gets on it it flips out from under him and he goes to the ground and lands on his foot..breaking it:eek:..he had not even moved 4" from where he started..

He still cant live it down with family yet, to this day:eek:

18. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Sucks, don't it?

19. brady1929

brady1929

skateboards aren't dangerous. they are just dangerous to someone your age. ha ha.
    hope you mend soon.

20. oj

oj

I tore my right shoulder all to hell and gone last winter, i was just getting good at left handed hammering when my shoulder healed enough to go back right handed again, i kept at it with my left and i am not as good left as right it is a big advantage being able to switch. A little while ago i was metalworking a model 'a' rear fender and it would set on the bench just one way - i use my right hand on the right side and left hand on the left, no more crossing hammer and dolly hands. I think it was about 3-4months before i could use my right arm - i had no choice because i didn't think i would ever be able to really use my right arm, i couldn't even turn up the volumne on the car radio it was that bad.
    So, you are just going to have reapply yourself, learn a new skill, think things out in a different way because you are a cripple now but - most important - you really gotta get better at skateboarding ok?

21. 53Hattie

53Hattie

To reiterate JimC's comment, ...sucks don't it! I began my Summer this year w/ a busted arm [the humerus, just below the shoulder joint], so I feel for your circumstance & frustration. I was at my fabricator pal's garage & tried to take one of his welding gloves away from his near grown Dobie pup [everything's a game to him yet], put my head down low & did the tug-o-war thing with him, then stood up too fast & went whirlybird, a coupla steps trying to catch my balance & did a face/shoulder plant in the driveway! At 300+ I'm to big a bird for that kinda landings, ...at least it was softer than the garage floor woulda been! Between healing & therapy it pretty well nixxed the Summer, didn't get a leg over the murdersickles at all, and it definitely slowed progress on the project as well! I was luckier, as it was my right arm and I'm a lefty, but it was my already-bum shoulder. Not much to offer 'cept the old adage, "this too will pass"!

22. Man!! I feel your pain - I broke my collar bone in a motorcycle accident 3 years ago and my left arm skateboarding 14 years ago. Hope ya have a speedy recovery.

23. Skateboards can be dangerous. I was skating a pool when i was 20 and blew out the cartilage in my right knee. It hasn't been the same since. Now when its cold, which sucks cuz i live where it snows, it hurts and clicks a lot. Sorry to hear about your arm, but glad to hear youre gonna do the Willys anyway.

24. GARY?

GARY?

Heal fast Jim. Bet you were having fun, at least before "the accident".
    I Still skateboard almost every day. Can't keep the demons at bay!!

25. nimrodracing50

nimrodracing50

Aloha,
    Who said hot rods are more dangerous. Hang in there, you can always find help, or find something that you can do. We got a couple one armed racers at our strip. They do pretty good.
    Big Al

26. jipp

jipp

you know i feel much better about all my damn scars, broken bones now.. i swear my friends never got hurt was always me.. hah. rock on fella's.
    chris.

ps..
    i love dobies.. great damn dogs.. i swear my last one understood english.. or at least beer talk :D of course my love for them rubbed off onto my little sis.. but man she failed and got a miniature version, like what the hell sis!!! and t o top it off named the little prick Thor.. laughs.

27. So the big question was it on film ?
    Did the kids all laff ?
    I am gonna go lay down now and rememeber being layed up 3 months this past winter

sorry hope it don't hurt to type and post pics .. Good luck wipin and all..

28. 53Hattie

53Hattie

Got an acquaintance that takes his miniature pinscher on his scoot in a modified tank bag. When he parks the bike she stays w/ it, she may be little, but don't think for an instant she's not "on duty", ...she'll bite you in a heartbeat if you mess with that bike!

Ironically the pup that prompted my crash is named Thor also...

29. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Broke my elbow when I was 11, I'm 58 now. It wasn't on my skateboard though, which was one of my sisters rollerskates flattened out and nailed to a board. I was in a cast for six weeks and the doctor said I'd have trouble with my elbow when I was older.......he was right! Good luck!

30. fuzzface

fuzzface

I'm a lefty too. Sorry about your broken arm. With your skills, ability and speed, instead of 1 week to build a car it might take you 2 weeks now instead. :)