Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1953 packard trim

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ''кυѕтσмѕ αяє кσσl'', Jul 10, 2011.

1. I've always liked the 53 packards and I noticed some really cool trim that would be perfect for my custom project , but I think it's hard to find so does anyone know if they are called something special? I'll start a thread later in the wanted section.
    IMG_1266.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
  2. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Those must be off of a different car entirely. I don't see them anywhere on a stock '53 Packard. Someone else just had your same idea, to use them on their custom.

Your username is a real head trip ... it must be hard for you to log in here, unless you have a Greek/Cyrillic keyboard. :)

3. I don't know man , I've seen more packards with them and they look like stock. I guess it must be very rare because only some special models had them

PackardPatrician1953-788284.jpg

1953_Packard_2.jpg

1953_Packard.jpg

4. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

[QUOTE=''кυѕтσмѕ αяє кσσl'';6739049]Hi :) I don't know man , I've seen more packards with them and they look like stock :confused: I guess it must be very rare because only some special models had them ? hahah I actually renamed a pic in my custom folder to my username :D I'm a little confused ..

View attachment 1370645

View attachment 1370646

View attachment 1370647 [/QUOTE]
    Oh, I think you're right ... I Googled one '53 Packard and didn't even consider multiple models. :eek: Pretty short-sighted of me.

If you're posting a wanted ad ... I think if you called them "quarter panel scoops," anyone who has them will know what you're talking about.

5. Ok thank you very much for the info , I'll see if I can get a wanted thread up today :)

6. GearHead614

GearHead614

Yup there stock, but they only came on the Patrician Model which was the highest trim package! i only know this because i just bought one lol

7. haha great ,they are awesome !

8. Old Gold

Old Gold

They were a trim option on ALL 51 to 53 Packards. Mine was a base model 2562 and had them. I also had 2 51 hardtops with them.
    [​IMG]

9. hemi46

hemi46
    Member Emeritus

I have the trim like that on the blue Packard, front fender and scallops, off of two cars. Cars are going to be crushed pretty soon, tried to save what I could. They are a 4 door and a hardtop. Still have motors in them.

10. Cool ! , would you like to sell the trim ?

11. Yichoke

Yichoke

Packard called them "venti-ports" or jet-ports. They only came from the factory on the top end Patrician and Mayfair. But were available as a dealer installed option. So they often show up on many other lower Packard models.

3 per side were standard on the '51's, 4 per side on the '52's. But dealers would add them as the felt to dress up their cars, so sometimes you'll see a '51 with 4, or a '51 with the later '53 style, a '52 with only 3, etc. I've even seen them added as late as 1954.

There where 2 styles. Rounded (1951 only) Spear shaped (1952-53). See attached...

Attached Files:

12. Thank you very much for the information, I'm looking for the spear shaped ones, but I haven't found any for sale yet, but I found some rounded on ebay. Thanks again

13. deviant

deviant

its been awhile since you posted but thought id let you know there is 6 of each style on ebay now.. tommy

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I think they were meant to be a distinctive Packard feature like Buick portholes or Cadillac tail fins but the only had them for a couple of years. Top of the line cars got 4, next best got 3, cheap models got none. But you could buy them from the dealer or have the dealer install them.

They look like bottle openers to me ha ha.