Register now to get rid of these ads!

King Of Trucks Chapter Three...Serious Bidness...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Jul 11, 2011.

1. 1959apache

1959apache

It worked for mine....and to be honest with you my truck needs an exorcism as well. so don't feel bad.

Did you buy the bottom one from Lokar or did you go cheap and buy a knock off? If you want me to take some pictures I can.... have you ever thought you needed an offset bracket to fix your problem? (just a thought)

2. squirrel

squirrel

here is a page with some useful info...pay attention to the drawing that shows the relationship of the arm pivot to the cable end mounting point.

The only reason I'm giving you a hard time on this is that I don't want you to fry your transmission.

http://www.shiftritetransmissions.com/700r4tvinfo.htm

3. 1959apache

1959apache

Squirrel = God

listen to him lol

4. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

terd the replacement fitting you showed was the type of fitting i was telling you we would use monthes ago if we built from scratch. those are just pivot rod ends and you can buy them at tractor supply or dennis carpenters. sadly the ones they sell will not have the set screw for the cable they are made to thread onto a sold threaded rod... KEEP AT IT!

as for the slack if you have slack in the cable move the whole mount back, the mount where the TV cable threads through and bolts to the intake. Dont over think it and remember if you start over with something else you are just starting over

5. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks squirrel! I don't want to fry my transmission either, haha!

I always do!

Its the grey plastic coffin shaped piece in the second picture that is causing the slack. It moves back and forth. There's nothing you can do to get rid of that slack. It is not hard mounted. I need a hard attachment for the cable to take the slack out.

6. squirrel

squirrel

THis is what yours looks like, right?

[​IMG]

I wonder if you could take a picture of it from the side, looking straight at the linkage arm on the center carb. Also measure how far it is from the throttle shaft in the carb. to the pin that the cable end attaches to.

Then compare that picture to what they recommend here

[​IMG]

"The cable connector pin's mounting location must be established on the throttle bellcrank at a radius of 1.094 to 1,125 inches "

My guess, looking at the picture and reading what you've been doing, it sounds like you have too big a radius, and you need to move the pin closer to the throttle shaft. I could be wrong...but it's worth a check

7. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

all transmissions need differnt ratios of pull

8. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

test 1 test 2, is this thing on?

9. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Sorry tater, I've been a little too busy to update.

After our club breakfast I went to the shop to try a couple of things. First, I checked the coil with the volt meter with the key on and engine off. 4.5 volts. *lightbulb* Pertronix should not be running the ignition resistor. I unhook the resistor and jump the wire and get proper voltage. THat should fix the problem right? Wrong. The stumble is worse than ever, lol.

Skeeter and I set about removing the tripower intake and carbs to swap for a stock four barrel intake and a known good Carter AFB. All that went on without a hitch. We got it started and got the timing light working long enough to set it at 5*btdc.

This is the fix. It now runs as good as I could've hoped. Speed, power, throttle response, nice shifting, everything is everything.

So now I need to decide if I want to spend a couple hundred bucks to go through the Strombergs OR sell that and get my own four barrel, chrome the stock intake, chrome a cad air cleaner and have plenty of cash left over.

***EDITED TO ADD***
    I forgot to include how exciting it was to actually really drive this thing and have it run like its supposed to. And how relieved I am to have actually fixed the problem, lol. Sometimes when I have a tough to figure out issue, I wonder if its ever going to get solved. This was a tough one.

10. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

terd... do what you want, if it was me i would have never put a multi carb on a daily driver (call me a pussy now) so i would rock what you got and chrome it up!

11. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

as for the coil the petronix wants 12 volts as for the coil you would have to ask Bubba what he set it up for voltage wise.

12. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I agree with cookiemonster, If you will be happy running a 4 barrel then go for it. You could always shelve your current set up until you have the funds to get all the carbs looked at. I wouldn't sell that stuff unless you need the cash, save it for another caddy mill in one of those model A coupes you're so gay for.

13. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

man that engine color is awesome. really pops on the white back drop!

14. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

i would sell the tri carb setup in two shakes of a lambs tale and get that truck even more dolled up... you know glitter and gold plating and such!

15. I hate to say it but sometimes all of the flash and coolness can be diminished by a lack of practicality and usefullness. I'd love to have a 6X2 setup on my 291 hemi, but I have to keep telling myself that this would be a nightmare to get it tuned and running properly, at least for me it would. You are luckier though as you have a lot of knowledgeable buddies to help you (your fellow club members).

16. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Drive the wheels off it man. We all know the strombergs would have been the icing on the cake but there is just something to be said about actually driving the damn thing!!! If you dont have to sell the stuff I would keep it for the next one and you will be ahead of the game knowing that you need to go through them.

17. Muttley

Muttley

An open car is one thing, your truck is fully enclosed and running a hood................clean up the Four Barrel setup and run it.

18. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Hahahaha! You guys surprise me. I'm disappointed. I'm usually waaaay too dumb to take the easy way out. :D

I'm going to put an exhaust on today. In the next couple of weeks, I'll be doing this mess...
    Nail down carb choice.
    Clean up wiring in the engine bay.
    Replace Mallory Magspark and transformer for the pertronix currently in there.
    White plug wires.
    Small detail items like hose clamps and wire loom.
    Clean and polish everything in the engine bay, its been dirty from work and tuning.
    Replace rear pinion seal in the rear end.

After that, its on to getting started on the extra bed I have. I'll be stripping paint and repairing some very small rust spots. I'll put it together, pull the old bed off, POR the rear of the frame and suspension, and put the new bed on.

This should take me through the end of the year. Then its off to repair an extra set of doors I have and swap those out. Then general body work and paint, maybe by next summer. Then interior. Then done, lol. :D

19. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I got the exhaust on there today. It sounds pretty good. Not too loud but definitely not too quiet either.

Now on to the loose ends involved in tidying up the engine bay so I can call that done.

20. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to hear that you've found the problem area. Fun to drive it, huh? If anybody calls you out on the 4bbl, kick him in the nuts. vic

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Good to hear you've got it running properly. You've been a miserable prick for the past couple weeks trying to runs the gremlins out of that engine.

Where'd you go to get the exhaust. I think I might send my '35 to Muffler Masters this week.

I think the whole "you can't run multiple carbs on a daily" mentality all comes down to how bad you want it or how much you want to put into it.

Fact. Terd didn't rebuild the carbs and has no idea on the condition of them except from what he could see from taking the top off.
    Fact. Those Stromberg WW's are an odd ball carb with not a lot of experience to back them up.
    Fact. Many many people on this site as well as in the real world run 3 or more carbs on a daily basis without trouble.
    Fact. These are vintage engines and vintage carbs so I think they take a lot of patience to get them dialed in.
    Fact. Terd rarely drived his truck outside of a 10 mile radius so it's not like we're talking about a daily that sees 100 miles a day.

I'm not saying that the switch to the 4bbl is a bad idea because A) Terd has now ruled out other issues by doing so and could now focus his attention at the definitive problem. and B) Terd was miserable to be around while trying to get this truck going for the last couple weeks. He's sometimes taken his frustrations out on people and I'm just glad to see him get this thing on the road. I think the 4bbl is the right choice for now because it'll let him progress on the truck and get started on other issues that need attention.

I wouldn't get rid of that tripower unless you're done trying to get it to work right. I would however get rid of those carbs and redrill that thing for 94's or 97's since then at least you'd be able to get some good concrete info on setting them up.

This is not really worth much since I have not tried to get my engine started with 4 97's on top and I could run into the same frustrations that Terd did. I might want to pull my hair out in the next few weeks as well but I've been working on my car for 2 years now so I can't see another 6 months of tuning being an issue. Terd needed to get his truck on the road so the 4bbl was a necessity almost.

IMHO the batwing will make that engine look like dog shit. Just put a simple mushroom styled 4bbl air cleaner that you would have seen on Grabowski's Lightening Bug. Oh and now that you're running a 4bbl no one really wants to see you engine so we can get that hood out of the shop and on your truck :D:D:D Just kidding. :D

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Really happy for you dude. You did it!!!! You have a fucking Cad in your truck!!!!

23. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Hahaha! With regards to me being a prick, you'll totally understand in about two weeks.

I'm not done with the tripower yet. I'm going to pull the carbs apart and check out the jets. If I can get by with just a jet change, I'll do that and run them. I'm not sure I want to sink another $200++ to totally build them myself just yet, but I probably will because I'm a dumbass. I know I don't have close to a grand to send them off to get set up properly. :D

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah I'm sure I'll be a mad man in about two weeks but the difference between me and you is you keep going even though you're crabby where I'll just shut down and quit hahaha!!!!

I'd honestly sell those carbs and wait for 3 94's to come around to get rebuilt. Dickster can do the 94's and they are way cheaper then 97's. You'll know the support for them will be there if you have any issues and Dickster will set you up right.

Right now shelf that thing and drive the piss out of it (one of us should be driving at all times :D) and get started on the rest of the body issues. Then maybe next fall get proper carbs on there and get tuning again.

I'm really excited for you.....chrome wheels for Christmas?

25. Hey, Terd! I "know a guy" that has a pretty decent stash of 94's. I could put a good word in for you ...... if you'd like.

26. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

If I sell that intake, I'd have chrome wheels next week. Along with a chrome stock intake and new carb. And enough money left over to buy paint, carpet and vinyl. And then some. Probably enough there to finish up everything left to do. I'd just be fighting time with the body work.

But seriously, if I run the three carb setup, I'll stick with the WW's. I've already got them and they probably only need jets and power valves changed to be right.

Hahaha! I appreciate it! Are you coming for Good Guys??? I want to find some place for you to lay some lines. Your work is officially killer!!!

27. James66g

James66g

28. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

i like the idea of new wheels and working supplies and a 4 barrel.

i do agree the batwing is a no no, dont cover up that gorgeous engine!

i also agree that plenty of people run tricarb setups and more on daily drivers. i just feel personally if you are not a mechanic it is not for you. they do need tuning regularly and you need to know what they are doing when they are not running right.

keep at it terd you are doing great! i cannot wait to see it with my own 2 eyes

29. I'll be at GG, just don't know which day(s). I may ride my bike down, since my truck won't be ready for a while. IF I DO ride, you'll have to let me know what colors you want do I don't have to bring the kitchen sink!

Back to the thread topic....Glad to see you have a better handle on things and you're actually driving it now! Don't get hung up on the "single-4bbl-vs-3x2bbl" thing. It's yours, and unless others want to finance the project, you can do whatever you darn well please!

Proud of you, bro!

30. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

PAGING MR. Burglar, Terd Burglar?