Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects another project, 40 ford coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fly 59, Oct 1, 2011.

1. fly 59

fly 59

okay, so we got another project on the burner, this time its a 40 ford coupe. This one belongs to " vintage vin" here on the hamb. It's a collaberative project between the owner (vintage vin), "cambridge customs" and myself. So vin bought this 40 awhile back, pretty rusty and incomplete. (I was really wondering why he bought this car) After disassembly, bracing, and sandblasting we got the car back to the shop. In the meantime, Vin began collecting replacement sheeetmetal for the ressurection. New repro floors and sill panels from Bob Drake (FYI, these parts are high quality heavy guage stampings ) along with tracking down a pair of used doors, and a pair of rust free inner rear 1/4 panels, along with some lower 1/4 patches and rear tail panel. Today we started with laying the floors on the chassis and getting stuff mocked up. "Cambridge customs" and myself have signed on to get the metal work done, and return the car to Vin for mechanicals and assembly, then returned to us for body and paint. heres some pics of what we started with. Will get some progress pics up tomorrow. What do you think, is it worth saving? I know, I know, its a 40 coupe.

Attached Files:

2. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

hell yeah it's worth saving, what are the plans for it?

3. tradrod

tradrod

Save it, but I'm biased :)

4. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Definitly worth it-

5. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I'm jealous.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow - nothing like a big challenge - have fun

7. 40 DAVE

40 DAVE

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll have to be honest and say that there is no way I'd tackle that one even though 40 coupes are my wife's favorite and have been since we went to the street rod nationals in Tulsa in 1973. If you owned a red 40 coupe at that event the cute little short gal was not stalking you she was in love with the coupe.

9. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Are you installing the entire floor pan that Drake sells as a single unit? I'm interested to know how the one piece floor pan fits.

10. nutbush

nutbush
    from Texas

It's worth saving from the scrap heap, but man, there is so much work there. But I always say if you can vision what it will be like when complete, it makes it worth it if ya dont mind hard work.

11. fly 59

fly 59

The owners plans for this one are for a pretty much stock body appearance with a suede orange paint, mustang II front suspension and keeping the GM rear axle thats in it now. He hasn't decided on his choice of powerplant yet, maybe Buick, Olds, or smallblock Chevy. After the metalwork, Vin is going to bring the car home to do the front suspension swap, engine and trans placement along with some rear suspension work to eliminate the scrub line issues, then back to us for final body and paint. here's some mock up pics from yesterday.

Attached Files:

12. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Looks like you guys are going about it the right way.... Keep it up......

13. woodbox

woodbox

Watching this one!

14. voodoo1

voodoo1

15. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

39 Deluxe and 40 Fords RULE !!!!!!

16. koolkemp

koolkemp

Looking forward to the build!!

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

That one looks a little better then the 40 coupe in the swapmeet area of the Ducktail run last weekend,that one needed all the doors and trunk to be spot welded to the body to keep it togather. I should have inquired about it but way beyond my abilities.

18. I trust you , Jeremy and Cousin Vinny can pull this one off.
    Now that the body is blasted and dropped onto the new floor it looks very salvageable.
    I don't doubt that between the 3 of you this car will be headed back to the highways in righteous style.
    I coming up with Vinny hopefully next weekend to document more of this build with my trusty tripod and cameras.
    I think we need some lovely Betty's draped all over this coupe to kind of take the hurt off it's wounded carcass.
    Any volunteer models out there?

Jimmy

19. "Where there's a will..there's a way", comes to mind. Keep us posted on your progress.

20. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

Every old car is worth saving. I can't wait for progress pictures!!!

21. fly 59

fly 59

hey Jimmy, we'd be glad to have ya come for a visit and shoot some pics, will be there this weekend pluggin away. We're going to have an open house, cruise in shindig on Sunday Oct. 16th, if that date works better for ya. Hope to get some HAMBers to come by and spread the word about what we're doing. A couple lovely Betty's to pose with the wounded carcass would be cool.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  22. Is Cambridge Customs in Cambridge or Ringe NH?

23. fly 59

fly 59

Hey 56KUSTOM, the shop is in Rindge NH. check out the flyer for the cruise in. Stop on by and check it out.

Attached Files:

24. Damn that coupe makes mine look good!

25. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I'll go along with that---

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

I remember seeing this car for sale someplace...musta been Craigslist, I would love to have that car as a project, glad to see it in good hands !

27. fly 59

fly 59

We made some good progress on the coupe this weekend, heres some updated pics. What do you think Vin? Looking a little healthier than last time you saw it? We still got a few good days left workin on her but shes in good hands. Sunday is the "Open House" at the shop in Rindge NH. all are welcome to stop by and say hello and check out the current builds we're workin on. There's gonna be good food, live band, raffles and more, all FREE, so stop on buy! Vinny, we'll try not to spill any barbecue sauce on the 40! So here's the pics.

Attached Files:

28. fly 59

fly 59

more pics

Attached Files:

29. koolkemp

koolkemp

Very nice! Are those wheel tubs repop or nice used parts?

30. fly 59

fly 59

koolkemp, they are very nice used parts. "SKIDMARKS" here on the HAMB got the parts for the owner "VINTAGE VIN"