Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jamco steering box kit for shoe box ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tedley, Sep 30, 2011.

1. I was in the Jamco site looking up a steering box conversion for a friend of mines 51 ford. We discovered they have a complete kit with steering box and brackets for about 800 bucks. Has anyone used this kit and what is the steering box from. Volvo seems to be popular but the box looks like a gm piece to me. His concern is the exhaust clearance for the 302 sbf and factory headers he plans on using. I'm using a cavy rack in my 50 so i can't help him with the box install. Headers seem to clear with the rack given the small diameter shaft.
    Has anyone used this Jamco kit? I ran a search but nothing about this kit they offer.

2. HOTRODKID91

HOTRODKID91

If it's the power steering kit you are talking about my boss just bought it for his 51 chevy and it's a nice kit but it took three months to get to after calling every morning and then we found out the kit they sent us was from another company and they charged us $200 more then it was from the other company. Good product but service blooooows!!

3. hottweelz

hottweelz
    from So. Cal

Hey Tedley, this kit is brand new. We just finalized it about 2 weeks ago. We have done away with the Volvo kit due to the fact that it is nearly imposible to find the boxes. Our new kit uses a Toyota Car box and pitman arm. Still works with the original steering parts. What is not pictured in the kit are the hoses. They are an option at this point. Right now we only have them for a SBC Saginaw pump.
    [​IMG]

4. Wow fast reply. I thought this be something new as i haven't heard anything about it. It has peaked my interest. Concern is room for exhaust etc. Any pics of an install in a shoebox ford? I might just scrap my rack and pinion project.

5. Any other shoe box guys checking this out?

6. big creep

big creep

any pictures of it installed? that i do want to see!

7. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

x2!

8. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Toyota box?
    From what model and year?
    I am going to use a Volvo box on my project,but just curious...

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

You poke around E bay and you'll find it..A Tooper box is close..

10. trooper is close but pitman arm may not be close enough. looks like around 80' corona as newer toyotas had r&p.

11. hottweelz

hottweelz
    from So. Cal

Here is a pic of just the box installed on a '49 chassis with a SBC. I will try to get a couple better pics. I will also install a set of block hugger headers for a better perspective of where everything is located. Engine location will vary a bit depending on what engine mounts are being used.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  12. big creep

big creep

thanks we need more, and my motor mounts dont look like the ones you have on that block. i bought them from you a few years back ,and they still touch the cross member, but just a little. did you change the design?

13. Any idea when SBF hoses would be available? Or, what pump and hoses would work best on a SBF?

14. elturo

elturo
    from So. Okla

I would get with Chris at shoeboxford.com and at least see what he has to say...
    He may have a free alternative expert opinion.

15. Looks clean, But not sure if there is clearance for my sbf setup with H O headers.

16. A friend of mine wants to get this new kit for his 51, sbf project. He has repeatedly phoned Jamco at different times of the day and gets NO answer. He's anxious for this this kit plus the motor mount kit. So are they that busy they can't take an order these days? He's very frustrated.

17. jerseymike

jerseymike

there have been a million threads on here about jamco's service. it sucks! they make very good products but there service couldn't be worse. never answer the phone, don't answer e-mail and you will wait forever for your parts. quality stuff but expect to be good and pissed off by the time you get it! do a search on here.