Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My new 57' chevy!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sledbuilder, Oct 2, 2011.

1. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

Ok I once built a 57' that was my pride and joy. I built it myself(for better or worse) and it wasn't perfect but man I just really dug it. I was slowly progressing towards racing it in nostalgia drag racing events but as life happens... More kids...bigger house for the kids means down sizing so my driver got sold and the plans for the 57' got put on hold. No prob I still had it. Well it wasn't long before I realized that 4:56 and open exhaust and gutted interior wasn't gonna cut it. Then a certain 64' chevy that was very nice came up for sale that was all original and complete so I cashed outta my 57' an bought the 64'. Instantly realizing I screwed up. Then a few other cars came and went.. Then 2 weeks ago I spotted an ad on craigslist. I drove out meet a real cool dude that was interested in trading for my 53' chevy. Long story short, I now have another 57' and it's gonna stay a long time!
    It's got a 62' 327 and now a Muncie. It arrived at my house with a Saginaw but I swapped it out cause I had all the stuff except the correct shifter lever. Been messing with it daily just to go over it. I popped the 210 caps off and sprayed the wheels black. I put a set of hooker headers on.. This winter I'm gonna pull the motor and trans and freshen up the engine and engine compartment. But first I'm gonna drive it!

2. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Congrats on the new 57.. if it is the avatar, then it looks like a similar start.. do not prime this one...

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I noticed you have been seeking parts.

best wishes on the build

4. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

Congrats man, although you're killin' us with no pics. A member since 05', you ought to know better. Just kidding, can't wait to see it!!!

5. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

sorry guy's, i tried to do it from my phone but it didnt seem to work. here ya go! Yes boones, its exactly like my old one...same colors! Bobwop.. I'd still like to someday get that olds...

Attached Files:

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

sorry, the Olds has left the station

7. Butch M

Butch M

looks like a good one.....congrats

8. c57heaven

c57heaven

Looks good, enjoy the ride...

9. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Very cool looking. Always have liked 57's with the hood rockets pulled out. It's an easy way to have hood scoops on a 57.

10. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

thanks guy's, yeah i always thought the rockets removed was a very cool trick.. The other thing i missed with my other cars is, you sit nice and high inside these cars.

11. chevyshack

chevyshack

Cool car. The wheels look to plain for my blood though. They need some flash.

12. spikez57

spikez57

Thats a nice ride... I bought mine when I was 17.. I have had many chances to sell it through the years but never did. Ive had it 30 years now... Good luck with yours.

13. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

i think it would take a ton of convincing to get me to release this one...oh and large sums of unmarked bills. So I guess it will be here to stay for a very long time.

As for the black steel's... I really like the plain jane sleeper look.

14. lawman

lawman

Very nice start.

15. Gabriel Howard

Gabriel Howard
    from OKC
    1. Okie Hambers

nice, looks like a great start

16. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Really cool ride. My first one was a black 2drsdn at age 17, my current one will be black w/flames when its done age now 62. Never grow up:)

Pat

Attached Files:

17. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

Great clean ride !!!!

18. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Nice '57...needs some brighter wheels and/or hubcaps tho...black wheels and black walls look like you're too cheap to buy whitewalls/hubcaps or some chrome wheels.

Most of the 'sleepers' back in my day kept the stock colored wheels and small hubcaps...made it look like a 'farmer's son's' car..., some guys even ran worn out mud and snow tires to enhance the image...

R-

20. sololobo

sololobo

Oh yeah, hard to beat the tu-door post cars. I love the turq. and white combo. Best of luck with this dude. ~sololobo~

21. Big fan of the tri-five post cars..nice car.

22. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Nice find, ENJOY IT.

23. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

looks good, REALLY needs hubcaps.

cant really go with a "sleeper" look when the body has all the trim and its nicely painted. jus sayin'

24. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

For me, I'd rather make it run like a raped ape than have fancy wheels. I do have a nice set of 15x4 60's s/s cragars but...

25. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

So last night I was able to decode my trim tag... It was built in Flint Mi. but oddly enough, its a 1 piece frame.. is this common? Also I thought this was cool, cause I'm a geek...the 62' 327 is also from Flint! But the best part is the original colors are India Ivory and Canyon Coral... Thats my wifes fav. 57' combo. Looks like it will get repainted at some point.

26. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Man are you lucky! Congrats