Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Kansas City, you fail at hot rodding.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Oct 1, 2011.

1. This is what I was afraid of! So, what the hell were they after then? A useless cut off column and shifter? Fucktards.

2. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

I TOTALLY AGREE, last wednesday it was all there...

3. At least your yard has some old stuff occasionally. The pick n pull yards in Houston NEVER have anything over 25 years old.

4. slammed

slammed

Where these fuck-up's come from? AMerika. Hope they do not work in food service.....

5. Sorry Kevin i really truelly meant no disrespect ...

I too have been wondering how some people live life everyday with such a attitude or callous regard for the fellow man or property

6. You want bad?

A '56 Packard Clipper turned up at a yard I frequent. On Friday at 1:00 PM they drained it and set it aside to go out the next morning, as they only put cars out before they open up for the day.

I was there Saturday at 8:30 am, half an hour after they opened, and I get to the car to find that - not a customer, but the fricking loader operator - had smashed the rear of the car, popping the trunk, bending the right quarter, busting both taillight lenses and cracking the bottoms of both pot metal taillight housings. Like $200-$250 (they were pitted pretty badly) up in smoke before anyone even had a chance to touch them.

I still got them, sawed them right off the car with about 10" of the fenders, but they may have no value at all at this point. The rest of the car is a piece of crap, rusty, even the frame is rotty, glass all shot, dead vines still in it that grew whereever it sat last.

I'll freely admit I also sawed off a '52 Olds column at the base, but I don't think there's any demand for the '52 manual box, and I didn't want to mess up the factory steering wheel with the clock in it that was on the car.

This is the same place that scrapped out the complete rolling chassis for a '32 Studebaker Rockne in late August. I have all the body that was on it stashed away. Motor was complete with even the air cleaner on it, except for the starter motor. I tried to see if they'd sell it to me for what they'd get going over the scale leaving, but they're stricter now because the state got fussy about them killing the VINs on the cars.

I kind of think they have one loader operator who likes to smash the older stuff, because I've seen them do a lot of unnecessary things to cars to get them set out. You will never find a mid-70s car with an intact left window, they just spear them through the opening and pick them up by the roof -

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

So at this point I'm guessing the shifter got tossed into the open window of an '89 Ford Taurus as they left the yard with the perfect three foot long piece of 1 1/2" exhaust tubing they came looking for. Haha. I guess I just have to laugh at this point.

I do think I bummed out a guy who was trying to play it cool as I was stripping bits off of the car. He kept chopping off the casual conversation with "Don't worry, I'm not going to steal your stuff." and "Yeah, I don't need any of this stuff – it's all really easy to come by" (WTH?) Well I'm pretty sure I finally got to the part he had been eyeballing right before I left. If he had been cool and just rolled with a conversation I probably would have stepped aside.

LOWBLAZERO1 – I hope that wasn't you man, because the "not stealing my stuff" comment as an opener kind of freaked me out! haha.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  8. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

lol. nope not me. but precisely why i always carry A very large, very sharp buck knife in my pocket, and keep an eye out. some weird freakin people there. lol. if you're ever heading up there and need a helping hand, or are bored, lmk. always looking for good people to hangout with around kc.

9. chigger

chigger

Are there any GOOD yards around KC area any more?

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

I don't get the thought process behind the cutting of the column, at all.

11. I went to that yard earlier this year looking for some steering parts on my F100. It looked like an outtake from a Mad Max movie! People were hovering over me no matter what car I went near, and I watched people working a car over like it owed them money searching for who knows what.

It sucks that people can't respect the fact that others with similar hobbies need those parts... ESPECIALLY on something like that Ford. I wish I had gotten there when I was town last.

12. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

anyone want to go get the winshield and back window stainless and ship to me ?? P>M> me if so. I could re4ally use it.

13. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

i probably can, if they are there. getting o/t seats this week sometime. how do they come out?

14. Did you end up finding any seat belts for the F-1?

Sam

15. Its a fucking pick and pull! People will fuck shit up Kevin. Even oput here in the great wide open where we can shoot folks, we can not cruise the yards likes I did as a kid in the 80s or even a few years back. Be greatfull you can even pick up this idiots scraps!

16. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Sam – Nothing I could use. But to be honest once I heard about the '41 – and with the limited time I had there – I wasn't really looking that hard.

Right now the F1 has universal 3 point belts I bought on ebay. A chunk of plastic broke inside of mine and the ratchet stopped releasing. So once you let the belt back in it's done for. The kid's belt still works fine but she hassles me about not being belted every time we get in the truck to leave. I should probably just order some nicer universal belts and be done with it.

17. chopper cliff

chopper cliff
    from lodi ca

I found 2 sets of Edelbrock heads for an 8BA in the back of a 79 Suburban sometime back, got em for 10.00 ea, nobody knew what they were, thank you verymuch!!!! Local p-n pull used to seperate, new owner don't give a shit. now nobody speaks English.

18. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

thats kinda a universal thing i think... anyplace you can still pull your own parts is just CRAWLING with mexican dudes pullin sensors, door regs, tail light housings... most of them dudes are just trying to keep his/her coche rollin for another week...

the one place i used to go a lot had a sign with all the "yard rules", you know the ones. anyhow, the last rule on the list, was like #14...

"#14: no english, no parts, no exceptions"

:D:cool:

19. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I once cut through the steering column of a '55 Mercury with a hacksaw to remove the steering wheel at a wrecking yard. I forgot to bring a 15/16 socket, but I had a hacksaw...and I wasn't going to drive all the way back out there.

Sorry.

:)

20. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Sorry you had such a horrible day. But it happens every day,not just in KC.

21. Doktor Hug

Doktor Hug

U-pull it here in omaha will quite often destroy a car before it hits the lot. the jackasses that work there will just plow the forklift into the side, smashing everything on that side.

I do remember when there was a little bit more common sense from the people pulling parts, though too.

22. junk

junk

yeah, U-pull its are a last resort for me. I do have a couple local yards that still let you in though to pull parts. At the U-pull it you want to find it fast or it's going to be destroyed. Seen a door panel pryed apart with a crowbar instead of pulling the 2 screws that hold it on. Amazes me how people will spend 10 times the energy destroying something apart than to just pull it apart right. Beating something a part has to be a last resort for me cause it always takes longer.

23. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

same here, did it to a 57 chevy. sorry kevin.

24. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Cordless Sawzall = evil.

Had a similar issue on a Model A rearend once.
    Someone cut the driveshaft - the bastard.

25. Look likeyou scored some of the hard bits to get. I wich I had the door latches myself.

26. when does the HAMB members only yard start ?
    ... heck there has been plenty of items that should be in it
    the cross country drivers could do a good biz ness

we just neeed a few dry central locations /warehouses

first buy in gets some credit and sale to non members prohibited ...

okay then what HAMBERS HAVE A YARD STARTED ?

STILL DISAGREE WITH THE " CAN'T SAVE EM ALL "

27. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I think there may be some anger issues with these people that they're trying to resolve. :) :) Maybe people just go to U-Pull as a form of therapy. I can see a guy having a bad day at work, so he stops in and beats the shit out of something there rather than doing it to his wife and kids.....

28. They'd be pressing a '51 Merc coupe roof flat if not for one of those sawzalls letting me bring it home, so... it's just like a gun, sawzalls don't kill cars, people with sawzalls kill cars.

29. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey man, I used an angle grinder on that rear end.

30. Haha! Somehow I knew that was a jab! Funny.