Register now to get rid of these ads!

53' plymouths fire damage (pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ykp53, Oct 2, 2011.

1. ykp53

ykp53
    from macon ga

This is why you carry a fire extenguisher with you at all times. We had a little incident on the way to church tonight. sitting at a stop light we (the wife and i) commented on the strong smell of gas. and then boom. we have ignition. the blast was hard enought that a guy on the second floor of the adjacent building heard it and came running. in fact it blew the cranbrook script off of the fender and bent the head light ring. i put it out with a fire ext. as quickly as i could with out raising the hood, but whats done is done. important thing is no one is hurt. insurance is contacting me tommorow. then i can clean her up and see what damage is done. what do yall think is the likely damage? i think it might have been the fuel filter?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. F&J

F&J

Hard to believe you got that fire out...gas expanding with the heat, so it keeps spewing out, making a bigger fireball.

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

OUCH! I'm glad you and your wife weren't hurt. Looking at the pics shown, it doesn't look too bad. Looks like you got it out fairly quickly.

Good luck on the redo.

I carry a small extinguisher under my seat. Hope I never have to use it. The thing is time. Or how quickly can a person get over the shock and go into corrective action.

4. GREASER815

GREASER815

Thanks for reminding me to put my extinguisher back in my car before I leave for Hunnert on Friday. Hope all goes well for you.

5. i have noticed that the rubber fuel lines do not last as long as they use to, i don't know if it is the fuel or cheaply made hose. on a couple of my customers vehicles i have found lines that had hairline cracks in the hoses that i had installed less than three years prior.

6. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

That sucks, man! I had a car fire one time (total OT car) and it burnt the entire front end to a crisp. I second the extinguisher.

7. ykp53

ykp53
    from macon ga

kill the ignition. tell the wife to grab the todler and run. pull the extinguisher from under the seat. push the car back aobut 10' so its not over a puddle of gas lay on the street and spray the filter pump and fuel line from underneath. it all took place in less than 2 mins. it should buff right out though. im thinking i will need to probley replace the remaining fuel lines and break lines at least inthe engine compartment right, along with rewire, new radiator, new hood, but the bulk of the engine should be fine correct?

8. Up grade your rubber fuel lines to fuel injection hose. The new fuels won't eat it up like it does rubber. On another thread someone posted NAPA #'s for a better line also.

9. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Kinda crazy how you were on your way to church.. what kinda church do you go to?? ;) :p

All joking aside, Im glad you and your wife are okay, and it looks like re-doing the front end wont be too much work. Good luck man.

-Aaron

10. LabRat

LabRat

Glad you are ok ! appears that you delt with it quickly and calmly ....
    Think better , faster , stronger , buy yourself a flaring tool and some steel line , the only place you need rubber is between the fuel pump and the hard line in the chassis .
    Be proud of yourself ... you delt with this in the best possible way .

11. I like all-steel gas line myself. And NO plastic or glass gas filters! I like to run the gas filters off the engine if possible.

I hope the damage isn't that bad and glad no one was hurt.

Bob