Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick 300

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kalispellkid, Mar 1, 2010.

1. kalispellkid

kalispellkid
    from Montana

I am building a old rat rod and i have a buick 310 wildcat out of what i thin is a 65 skylark. I am going to put lakester headers but i cant find any header flanges any idea who might make some?

2. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

I think that shares the same flange as the 215 Buick
    Van

3. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

The 215 ports are a little smaller.

That would be the Buick 300/340. try these guy's http://www.stans-headers.com/gm_flanges.htm they don't list them in the parts catalogue but you could call and see if they can make you a set.

BTW - don't use the r word around here.

4. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buick motor in your rod? - Good call

Mentioning it's for a rat rod on a website that hates rat rods? - Bad call.

5. 36stude

36stude

Do you want to sell or do you have any extra exhaust manafolds that i could buy from you? I have a '65 buick skylark but one of my manafolds broke so im looking for a new one!

6. I am putting together a 300-310 wildcat engine and need help with the oil flow system, does it flow up through the lifters and push rods or does it go through chanels in the block?

7. Got a 300 in my '33 Plymouth Coupe.

8. retired47, there is a long passage in the block that feeds oil to the bearings and lifters. I made a drill extension that I used to make this passage bigger. There is also a kit to use 455 oil pump gears, made by Kenne-Bell. HOWEVER, be carefull using the wrong pump gaskets, the thin paper ones will blow out. The only aftermarket intake I found for the 300 was a 2x2. Have fun......

9. fms427

fms427

Also try www.aluminumV8.com - that is D & D Fabrications. They specialize in 215s, and make header flanges for 215s, but may know where to get some for 300s (as these heads are used on many 215s....)

10. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

You could try Matt here on the Hamb ,If not make a card board template and go from there to a machine shop.Those motors are awesome.........

11. kalispellkid

kalispellkid
    from Montana

I guess when I was building it I considered it a "rat rod" Really its probably not what most people would call a rat rod

Attached Files:

12. TeamEvil

TeamEvil

I have some block-hugger Rover tube headers, stock 300 cast headers, and center-dump cast Rover headers if you need. The header ports are easily opened up where necessary. They've all been used on aluminum 300 Buick heads over the years without a problem.

We use the Buick 300 heads on our TR8 engines all of the time, the after-market block-hugger and long tube 215 Rover headers work just fine.

If you feel like making up your own set and don't want the restrictions of the Buick/Rover headers, you can modify small block Ford headers to work pretty well as a starting point.

The main oil galley is a right angle affair and responds well to Rick's idea. Be careful with the rocker arms and stanchions as the oil passes through these. If you change the valve stem height and make up shims, be sure to pay special attention to the small metal insert and oil hole alignment. If you have a problem with the oil canister and front cross member, you can fit a Metric oil pump from a 3.8/4.1 Buick V6 along with a rotating adapter that came on the V6 Rivieras and Caddys. Lemme know if you need any help with these.

There are a lot of modifications that you can do to the little 300 to really wake them up, a lot of it coming from late model Rover. The stock horse power is adequate, but the torque is massive as it would need to be to move a big Buick. (The High Compression version with the aluminum heads and aluminum four barrel intake is especially cool.) Installed in a light weight car you get pinned to the seat and stay there forever.

If you want to run a standard trans against the 300, just pick up a flywheel and bell-housing from the V6 Chevy Monza or similar offerings from Pontiac and Oldsmobile and you're all set. Remember to balance the flywheel to the harmonic balancer from the Buick and done. The bell-housing will accept almost any standard GM four or five speed as-is, but also has enough room to re-drill if necessary. GEt the throw-out fork from the Monza as well and you can use a cable clutch hook up, otherwise use an MGB or Camaro hydraulic slave cylinder. Of course any aftermarket slave will work as well.

Information for this stuff is available on every MGB V8/Triumph TR8/Rover forum out there since the Buick 300 is often the weapon of choice for these guys.

I've worked with 215 and 300 Buicks (Rover and Oldsmobile) for a long time and they're just terrific, if under represented, little engines with tons of potential.

Luck,

TC

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014