Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Kansas City, you fail at hot rodding.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

So this morning I'm headed to the pick and pull to find some suitable seat belts for the F1. A quick text to Mike (cactus1) to see if has any interest in going before heading out and I leave.

Long story short: A couple of texts and a phone call later Mike clues me in to a '41 at the yard and we are going to check it out.

Pick and Pull 1941 Ford

I'm hoping to score the box and column shift – been looking for one for a while for a project.

So we get there to find that some miserable dipshit has sawed the column off at the box, taken only the driver's side spindle, smashed the top of the kingpin on the passenger side, pulled the front hubs and backing plates leaving half of the parts (dust caps, bearings, etc) in the gravel, but left the hubs and backing plates in the car.

Mike and I ended up getting a lot of good stuff that was left, but I'm just baffled at what was done.

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Idjits.

Attached Files:

3. Wow, Can't believe that is there.

4. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

The stuff probaly end up on craigs list under rr stuff,happens here all the time with the old stuff in the upull it.Lame!

5. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Further proof that not all car guys are smart. The dumb ones should build models instead.

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

All of us complain because wrecking yards are more and more becoming "you can't come in here, just tell us what you want and we will pull it for you." But this is the very reason that is happening. Some idiot will need a $ 2.00 piece and destroy a $ 200 door getting it off. These yards are like any other business, they want to make as much profit as possible and lose as little inventory as they can.

There is a pick and pull about 35 miles from me and the managers are constantly catching people either destroying stuff, or trying to steal it. I was there one day and some guys who looked to be illegals were tossing stuff over the fence to retrieve it later.

We are our own worst enemy sometimes.:mad:

Don

7. Fuckin' crackheads. At least they left me this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ sucka!

Attached Files:

8. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

And people wonder why some Auto Yards refuse to be pick and pulls, and pull the parts for the customer.

I've seen people cut/chisel a perfectly good door open from the outside just to get a window motor out. Also seen a nice dash pried apart for some small part.

Destroying a $300 dollar dash for a $15.00 defroster grille?

Boggles the mind.

9. yeah and it really burns me up when they do this to engine parts too >>>>.

10. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

that doesn't mean Kansas City "fails" at hot rodding.....
    you guys still live there and have hot rods----;)

11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yeah, a few idiots will always ruin a good thing for the rest of us.

"Kansas City, you fail at hot rodding."

Applies to the goof that sold that solid sedan to the wrecking yard or anyone that had a shot at buying it before the wrecking yard and didn't step up. Of course, it's not a super desireable car. Wonder what the story is? Maybe he couldn't get any local car guys to buy it whole and caved and called the yard to pick it up for scrap. He probably didn't get much for it from the pick n pull.

12. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, who knows. I'm still pissed at the numbnuts who thought it would be a good idea to saw the column off. He left the mounts and linkage (which I scooped) so he probably tossed the rest when he got home.

I did get a lot of small stuff though — tie rods, brackets and linkage I'll need for the roadster and coupe(s). I dig the small rectangular gas pedal too... that's going in the F1.

Attached Files:

13. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

...and the coolest wire loom cover. I already know where I'm going to use it

Attached Files:

14. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Wow and I thought it only happened here in this meth pit?

15. Nice codpiece! Ha!

16. Deuces

Deuces

If it wasn't for models, we wouldn't be into real cars.. :mad::rolleyes:

17. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Maybe someone cut the column off to get the steering wheel?

The U-Pull-It near me puts all the old stuff in a seperate area near the front. I pull through the lot every few weeks and look through the fence to see if they heve gotten any new old stuff (NOS!). Saves me the $2 gate fee.
    It looks like a dozen car bombs went off in the onr I go to!
    People will put a ton of effort into taking something off a car, only to break it in the process, or if they would have looked through the yard a little further, probably found the same thing laying loose on another car. Or could have bought it cheeper at Auto Zone to begin with!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  18. it was a" wrecking yard " not a" saving the best just for you" yard ...

late to the party the pickens are slim ...
    glad you picked up what you did ...

i wish all auto enthusiasts had the attitude we admire sadly it ain't so

19. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

It's actually "pick" and "pull", not "destroy what I don't need because I am too stupid to know how to disassemble". You're not winning this, sorry. :)

I have ten bucks riding on that wheel, the hood and grille showing up on a super sweet "bobber truck" somewhere around town.

20. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Mike did make a great point though. At least the idiot in question didn't just remove the ENTIRE thing and pitch what he didn't need when he got home.

I scored the sector, worm, bearings and races as well as the box casting and covers for a good price.

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You see similar stuff at a couple of yards around here all the time. Someone even smashed a bunch of taillights in cars to take the bulbs out once when I was there looking for a taillight for an ot rig I had at the time. Too lazy to carry a screwdriver along and take two screws out.

22. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Mike and I ended up getting a lot of good stuff that was left, but I'm just baffled at what was done.[/QUOTE]

Well if that bothers you , you would have probably fallen on the ground crying at what took place here in Maine a year ago. A guy bought a bunch of 40's , 50's and a few 60's Army, Navy,and Air Force surplus vehicles . Apparently he never sold any parts and just let them sit. He died quite a while ago and his kids ( in their 70's ) decided to get rid of everything. 99 % of it went straight to the crusher. There had to be 150 to 200 vintage vehicles ( mostly Fords ) still in their military colors with markings and some from the 40's with black-out lights. Complete running gear , mostly flathead V8's , and complete right down to the air cleaner. A real shame. And this was only one of three yards their dad had around town. The other two had mostly 30's and 50's stuff.

23. beyondhelp

beyondhelp

Sucks. Yep. Been through that working on O/T stuff.

Around here there isn't any old tin to pick from. Hell, I seriously doubt I could find parts for my '68 Caddy in a yard. Might get lucky with my '98 Jeep.

24. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

And there you have the precise reason I find U-pick yards depressing commentary on the human condition.

Brian

25. tunram2quad

tunram2quad

amen !

26. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

+1 on this... its a no brainer to think that the fuckers would NEVER, EVER pull shit like this on a parts car sittin in their own yard at home... not in a million years.

and, no way in hell am i going to take that bet :p ;) :cool:

27. ScottV

ScottV

Dealt with this at a great O/T Semi Truck yard. used to be U-Pull, now if you pull it you have to give a $200 cash deposit and don't get it back until after they inspect the truck(s) you were working on, or you pay a $25 dollar fee, tell them what you want and they bring you a couple examples. But really I don't blame them, they were loosing more then they were making.

28. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

Well I did my part, or at least I think I tried. I started the thread letting everyone know it was there and got virtually no response. It was mostly complete a week ago and the steering wheel is in the pics, but from my years of going there I've realized it's first come first served and if you see something you want you need to get it right then because it will be gone if you wait to come back to it later.

Check out the other pics I posted on this thread for more stuff that will probably suffer the same fate. Last posts in this thread. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390611&page=66

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  29. Well, I guess Kevin needs to resign from the HAMB if Kansas City fails as Hot Rodders :D

30. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

FWIW, the steering wheel is still in the yard. when i saw it last, it was pretty far gone. im heading back up there this week, ill grab it if i see it again. this damage all happened in the last week. also, a mid fifties plymouth there. and a early fifties chevy at u pick it