Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help changing gear ratio of a 2wd S10 rear end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Graham M, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

Hey guys, the rear end I just bought came with 4:10 gearing. I assume that'll get me 3,300 RPMs doing about 70mph/120kph. Which is crazy high unless my goal was to go through as much gas as possible.

What etailers or places sell different gear sets? I'd like 3:55 or even down to 3:08 or thereabouts. Ideally I'd like to have the revs at about 2200 or so at that speed.

Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated, thanks a ton in advance.

2. nexxussian

nexxussian

Depends on which rear you have, if it's the 7.5" 10 bolt then there are some Camaros out there that had the same axle, and both 3.55 and 3.08 are available.

Early S10s had 26 spline axles, late had 28 spline.

Before you decide to change though, what size tire are you running on the back?

A taller tire could make the 4.11 apropriate, especially if you have an overdrive trans.

3. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

Hi, thanks a ton for your response! I plan on leaving it with the 215/60/16's on there for a good while longer.
    Is there anyway of telling of whether or not I have the 7.5" 10 bolt or not?

4. indyjps

indyjps

theres enough guys building S10's either speed or 4x4 that you should be able to trade that 4.11 rear for any gear you like.

5. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

4.11 is a fairly rare ratio. Usually just came in 4-cylinder automatic trucks. RPO code in the glovebox is GT5. Somebody would probably trade you their "slow" ratio for yours.

Go to any junkyard, open the glovebox door in the truck and look for the glovebox code of GU4 or GU6. That'll be either a 3.08 or 3.42. I think GU1 is the "standard" rear gear thats like a 2.73 or something like that if your into freeway gears. If you can find a G80 code in there too, thats the factory governor locker. Some say their not worth having, but its a nice bonus over a stock peg leg in my opinion. Not everyone has the cash to blow on a fancy limited slip unit.

4x4 rears are also 2" wider than the 2WD rear ends.

6. nexxussian

nexxussian

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

likely this thread will get dumped because not talking traditional parts. but, my project chopped '51 Ford came with a S10 rearend that best I can tell by turning rear tire around two full turns and counting the number of times yoke on rearend turns came up with 3:42. so, on 50% day at Pick'n'Pull went and got a GU4/3:08 rearend out of a '95 LS V6 5spd - limited slip unit. in process of swapping them out. got 2" wide spring pads to weld to replacement rearend from local speed shop. could not find that size at trailer supply places. will use a 4 degree wedge to help set the yoke up a bit. try S10forum.com under forums and there is lots of info on S10 gear ratios, etc

8. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

^ why would it get dumped? Lots of people use S10 frames & rear ends.

Big thanks to those that responded. I'll have to go through them when I have the chance (just on the iPhone now).

I wish you guys were closer! I owe the lot of you a beer ;)

9. Speedway also offers a ring & pinion for the GM 10 bolt 7.5 from 3.08 thru 4.56.

10. If only you were closer, I've got a S-10 rear that's a 3.08 sitting in the garage.

11. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

Maybe check out the s10 forums for someone close to you looking to trade or sell you what you need . My 2001 s10 came through with a 3.42 , a 4.3 truck .

12. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Shit. If you were closer I'd trade you. My daily is a '98 4.3 automatic with a 3.08 pegleg. It constantly shifts in and out of overdrive because of all the hills around here.

You may also consider a 8.8 out of a Explorer. I believe they'll bolt right in the place of a 7.5 and you can use the same driveshaft with a certain part number of U-Joint.