Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Useful Use of a Model A Torque Tube (tech)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, May 22, 2005.

1. Ok I’ll try my hand at some Tech.

I bought this torque tube at a garage sale (yard sale) with four Model A wheels, an unknown door (not Model A), Model A headlight bar, plus three rusty headlight buckets all for $10.

So I am going to build an exhaust for My ‘29 Chev out of the Model A Torque tube.

First step is to work out where you need to mount the exhaust flange, for my application I decided the best place was directly behind the wishbone mount so I marked where it was to be cut & clamped it into the drop saw & cut the bastard! :D

[​IMG]

This is the exhaust flange that is to be used, it is the standard ‘29 Chev item. (2”)

[​IMG]

The next step is to sandblast the pieces to make life easier.

Now depending on how large the exhaust flange is (mine is 50mm or 2”) you may need to grind the area where the flange will mount (remember not to grind too much as you want a nice tight fit) keep checking the fit by trying to tap the flange on and grind the areas that are marked by flange.

With the flange now able to be mounted on the Torque tube weld around the outside and then on the inside. After you have done this dress the welds with a flap disk and sandblast again to get rid of any crap left behind & paint with high temp paint (I will do this later when I actually have some)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I kind of forgot to take pictures of the pieces before welding, :eek:

Here is how it will be mounted once I fabricate the extractors (note high tech rope mounts) I will also need to fabricate the mounting brackets at a later date.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyhow that is my half arse attempt at a tech post. Thanks for reading this far.

oh, before I forget the Torque tube bell would make a killer mount for a column drop the inside may need to be sleeved to fit the column that would be used. If you have any old wisbone ends they would work well for the actual drop. (I will do a quicky illustration later to show what I mean)

Cheers

3. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

I bet she'll rap like a bitch!

4. Hopefully :D :D
    It will be a while before I get a chance to try it out! I still need to go over the motor to see if it's alright and of coarse fabricate the extractors, I will try and have it done in the next month.

5. Chewie

Chewie

I love "torque tube exhaust" anything. Thanks for the pics. I'm still tryin to figure out how to get them to work on my 48. Mind is in overdrive.

6. hey man,

that looks great! just wondering, how heavy is that torque tube?

danny

7. Maybe you could use '38 Chev.

8. Yup :D & I can't wait to fire her up when it's ready!

The torque tube weights 7kg the bell that was cut off was about 1.5kg