Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gennie Shifter WTF?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlmLrd, Oct 1, 2011.

1. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

I read through numerous threads regarding shifters- Lokar, Gennie, American, etc. I liked the design of the Gennie and the fact that it was buttonless and I could easily make my own knob, company has been around a long time etc.

I ordered one through my local guy after not being able to contact anyone at Gennie and no return phone calls regarding questions I had about the product. I should have let that be the indicator, but still decided to go with them which was my mistake.

After nearly a month, the shifter finally got delivered to my local guy here -Cool!! better late than never right? Yeah right...

I opened up the box and I have mismatched hardware, the trans brackets were two different sizes, The shifter plates that came with it are all for c-4 c-6 transmissions (I ordered a 904 mid mount), one isnt stamped at all and the hardware to attach shifting arm to the linkage doesnt even come close to fitting.

I ended up cutting my own brackets and drilled the hole to fit, but for over $200??? what a joke. I called to see which shifter plate that I actually need, left multiple messages, no reply. Needless to say, I will never, never, ever! recommend anyone buy anything from Gennie. Totally disappointed, and will change it out to something that is quality when I can. Just seeing it in my car pisses me off. Next time Im in Colorado, Ill make sure to throw this thing through their window (if they actually have an address)

Way to go Gennie, thanks for nothing.

2. I thought they had ceased production.

3. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I thought they had gone out of business as well. Sounds like you got the scraps.....

4. dmw56

dmw56

They went out of business. Don't know what you got?

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

It is a shame when a company known for their quality products and customer service is run down and disappears.

6. falfas55

falfas55

Sounds like someone sold you a Ebay score just to get you taken care off. Sorry that happened. Go with your Gut next time.

7. ferrets bueller

ferrets bueller
    from NW Indiana

Thats funny, I had just been looking at them a while back, trying to decide between genie and lokar. Went with the Lokar, absolutely love it. They make great stuff.

8. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Gennie shifters has been around for a long time. The original owners where all but finished as they ran the company into the ground, BUT, a young bunch of guys bought it, moved it to Denver Colorado, and tried to make a go of it. They where seen at NSRA, Good guys, and SEMA, and I dont know what happened to them, except I tried ordering a shifter, and couldnt, so I called Denver, and left a message, and never got a return call. They have many comercials on Youtube.

Its a shame when someone buys a company, thats almost done, and gives it a go then finishes it off in the end. I do think they are still around though, just not reputable as they once where.

9. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Ebay score? I dont think so. Go with my gut- yes.

10. I'd like to know how your local guy got a shifter from a company that no longer exists. Who did he deal with ? This seems strange.

11. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Parts stores buy through warehouses and they likely found one still in stock.

I look at who has the most advertising and don't buy their product. Quality sells itself.

12. BelAired

BelAired
    from Canada

I bought a gennie shifter a couple of months ago through my local guy (the rod shop in Calgary Alberta) He had it in stock and everything works like a charm. I wonder if you had issues because your guy had to bring it in. My shifter came set up for my trans (t350) but had 3 other linkages and supporting hardware with it, sealed in the packaging. Because of this, I'm really wondering what you actually got.

13. Search Streamline and you will find the answer.

14. VonWegener

VonWegener

Please let Aussiesteve watch this act of defiance......

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It has been very strange there in the past year or so. Sometimes they are gone and yet they can scrounge up a shifter or handle from Streamline.

We needed a different shift handle, I called them, and the phone was answered "Streamline". I ordered the handle, wrong one came, so I called back and they shipped us the correct one and actual did the correct credit to my card. I thought we would never see the credit, but they did it on time and for the right amount.

I got the impression they were trying to do business as usual, but under some weird situation we don't understand. Sorry to see this happen as their product was actually pretty good.

Don

BTW, if you don't care for the Lokar button, but an adapter to put whatever knob you want on it. No more pushing a button, just put your palm on top of the knob and push down. I had a large 8 ball knob on my 23 and before I sold it I put the original Lokar button one back on. I couldn't get used to the button after having the 8 ball on there.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  16. Here we go again. Pass out the popcorn.

17. 56 Frame Dragger

56 Frame Dragger

Yea I had a couple friends that had trouble with GENNIE So I went with LOKAR I love my shifter

Attached Files:

18. American Shifter...

I will support my son wherever he works and I belive he represents a good product with this new company.

And if you want good customer service he will give it to you.

You will see.

19. dvzdeathtrap

dvzdeathtrap
    from austin, tx

man that sux. what happened to good customer service? seems to be harder and harder to find anymore. -DVZ

20. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

My local guy is a friend of mine, who is an authorized dealer of Gennie. He spoke with the same guy he has spoken with for the last number of years to order the shifters. I also talked with Alex Gambino l about ordering one and he said he could get them as well. My local guy actually ordered 3 of them, including mine from Gennie. They took a month to get to him, but they did come- from Gennie.

Im thinking there are still parts available, and were thrown together to frankenstein what was ordered. Total hassle! I also had a Lokar in my f1 pickup and loved it.

21. Hoffman Group business, been there, done that and won't go back.