Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else building old dodge/plymouth other mopars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wayfarer, Nov 6, 2003.

1. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

Nice DeSoto are u runnng Flat head?

2. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Hey guys, quick question. Im pulling a '31 Chrysler fordor out of a barn in the next couple of days. The rear axle has been gutted, so rather than find all the parts i'm leaning towards an axle swap. Does anyone know of a "nearly bolt in" donor? Jeep Cherokee?

3. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

Hey its not to late for your wagon! You can sell it or less you just want to much for it. Those wagons are real neat. Let me know if you still have it.
    :eek:

4. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Cherokee rears fit under later Mopars, with some spring perch work. If the chrysler is 59 to 61 inches between the backing plates, the cherokee should work. Also ranger, exploder, Mazda pickup. Mopar B body.

Look for the thread from the fellow who was resurecting a 33 Plymouth here, he swaped something in but had some problems later with wheels and brake adjusting access. But lots of folks have put jeep stuff under 40's Mopars to good result.

5. Can't remember if I've put up my 54 Savoy or not. Haven't started work yet, can't even decide on an engine. Canadian car, so it's got the 25" long head, and 228ci. Not seized :D.
    [​IMG]

6. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

really like your car. reminds me of my 47 DeSoto I started years ago and need to get back to.:cool:

7. 34 Plymouth Hemi

34 Plymouth Hemi

A body rear fits under the early cars very well. I've got an A body 8 3/4 under the 34. 40's cars maybe a little wider

Bob

8. bct

bct

this is an awesome thread , please vote on/rate it.....i don't know why the three stars bothered me enough to vote it up....but it at least deserves 5

9. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I an never remember A, B C body terminology for some reason, but on my 37 Canadian Dodge I have a 72 New Yorker rear, the fit is dead on, it lines up with my stock leafs and the width is perfect.

10. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

This is the best looking Airstream coupe I've seen. I've posted a few pictures of my original '36 Plymouth Deluxe coupe before, but here it is again. The original plan was for a mild, flathead powered period rod, but after I got the rebuilt '58 Dodge 230 installed, I changed my mind and have been driving it as is. If I'd seen Radio King's car last week, I would probably have tried to buy the fender skirts for sale recently on ebay. The Pines winterfront kinda sorta approaches the custom look if you squint.

Attached Files:

scotts52 likes this.
  11. Tradrod51

Tradrod51

Muskegon, Mi. - Lake Michigan 10-09-11

Attached Files:

scotts52 likes this.
  12. A body is the smaller cars like dart, duster, valiant, demon, etc.

B body is the medium sized cars like belvedere / satellite/ roadrunner, coronet, charger, etc.

C body is the bigger cars like newport, most Furys, Monaco, New Yorker, etc.

Some call the Imperials a D-body as they are usually different (as well as larger yet in most cases).

E-body is the 70-74 Challenger and Cuda.

F-body is the Aspen and Volare cars with their transverse torsion bars.

The other car lines I can never remember:rolleyes:

Different years may have different width axles - even if they are from the same car line. Typically they became wider in later years.

13. dieseldust

dieseldust

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Ok here is my new project 54 Belvedere coupe, all MOPAR :) 440 /727 Hemi tranny 2800 stall/ 8.75 sure grip diff 354 ratio full back half tubbed caged mustang 2 front end with mopar rotors so i can run all mopar wheels also sanderson shorty headers, Needs some TLC and interior well 2 nice bucket seat,s anyway

Cheers
    JB
    Jimmy

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      100.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      78.2 KB
      Views:
  14. 34 Plymouth Hemi

34 Plymouth Hemi

A Bodies were Dusters, Demons and Darts.
    B Bodies were Belevederes, GTX's Roadrunner, Coronet and Chargers
    C Bodies were "Full Sized" like the Polara, Monaco, 300 , New Yorker and Newport

Bob

15. gasser john

gasser john

i recently traded for this 36 P2 coupe,it came with a worn out 440/727, i am going to keep it all mopar,besides the 9" rear. i am using that because i already have it narrowed and with all the parts.its my first mopar,but i couldnt resist the great look with the 3" chop. i was always a chevy man til one day while restoring a good freind of mines 65 mustang K code fastback. i was expressing my devotion to the bowtie camp, and how i never thought of having anything else for a toy(i had a ford truck at the time). he calmly told me that a true car guy could appreciate them all because they all had fast cool cars to offer and why pigeon hole yourself to one brand. well, its taken some years to come around mostly cuz of raising kids and being involved with their sports and such, but now im expanding into other makes. i hope i can do this car justice and have it run as good as it looks. thanks for the thread

Attached Files:

16. Wags66

Wags66
    from Montana

Recently added this 58 Dodge pickup to the ever growing collection of projects. Also have a pitifully neglected 59 Belvedere 4 door sedan and trying to get my father-in-law to part with a 48 Plymouth 4 door that needs some serious attention. Its been parked under a tree in his back yard for almost 30 years.

Attached Files:

17. Here is mine in mock up.:cool: my coupe 001 - Copy.jpg

18. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

Looking good....

19. chucksrodgarage

chucksrodgarage
    from wisconsin

still working on my 41 plymouth buissness coupe. came out of so cal and arizona about 5 years ago. absolutely rust free. have installed 8 3/4 differential , and a 833 od 4 speed. currently installing modified slant six 4 barrel engine, disc brakes, and rack and pinion. repainted this summer in semi gloss black. i'm an old mopar guy, spent many years into the streetrods with bow ties, now back to mopar!!

Attached Files:

20. cbr74

cbr74
    from Nampa, ID

Quick pic of the '39:
    [​IMG]

4th generation family heirloom, been sitting for ages. All the rubber is shot and has some rust through in the trunk but she's complete minus a sway bar and some knick knacks.
    I've replaced all the key suspension parts. I'm nearly done with the front disc conversion. Next, I will be tackling the electrical.

21. BADBEE

BADBEE
    from Northwest

Heres mine. Its a 37 Chrysler coupe. All Mopar powered. 440+8, manual 727, B-body 8 3/4 with a 4.10 spool. It gets lots of looks....from cops.

Attached Files:

22. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

23. Gator

Gator

Mine's blown to pieces right now, time for a make-over, including a fresh coat of black paint, new upholstery, and a few mechanical upgrades.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

48 PLYMOUTH HEMI likes this.
  24. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

Wish I had that six--also tell me about the disks--for my 39

25. I'm playing around with a 51 Meadowbrook. Right now I'm working on the suspension, setting it up with hydraulics (just my preference). Does anyone have any pics of the front suspension of these cars with hydraulics? The front spring pocket is offset to the control arms, the upper arm would cross right where the cylinder should be.

26. Modeljunkie

Modeljunkie

Excellent thread! Not enough 40s though in my opinion, so with that I'll add my new toy, a 40 plymouth P-10 touring sedan 4 door. She's all stock for now and in solid shape. 201 L6 motor with 3 on the tree and the optional dealer installed front and rear heat venting. Radio delete.

Plans are for an auto trans, disc brakes up front, firewall MC, battery relocate and bucket seats, seat belts, 12v conversion, a radio, electric wipers, turn signals and b/u lights, a rear end with newer bendix brakes, new wiring and somehow later on add AC for the wife and kid's comfort...ok...mine too. I have 5 pieces of glass that need to be replaced{both windshield, both front wings and the drivers rear door} so I'm considering all side and rear glass being tinted - fronts clear.

I like the idea of a modded straight six motor for the shock and awh value at the cruise nights...ya just don't see them around these parts{my town}, but wanting AC would be an issue even if I could get the neighbor's 55 savoy's 6{2" longer/50some more displacement}...I can't weld and have no provisions for it, so a simple motor mount/ motor swap would be too convieniant for me....yeah, I know.....
    Later good folks- Bob

Maybe a motor swap will be in the future for me whether I like it or not

27. Modeljunkie

Modeljunkie

Nice ride...who's disc kit?{rusty hope?}
    Man, I'd love to see that slant 6 between the fenders when it's installed, just to see what kind of room there would be!
    Glad to see you back where you belong...hehehe....they're all good, just some more than others! ;)

28. chucksrodgarage

chucksrodgarage
    from wisconsin

as you probably know, being able to weld will be a necessity if you are going to do an engine swap.
    possibly you have a friend or can do some bartering.
    i just put a slant six in my 41, and there was a fair amount of welding involved due to being about 3" longer than the stocker. i am real happy with the end result, and happy with my decision.
    hope you can come up with a way of getting a newer six in there.

Attached Files:

29. ols'kool

ols'kool
    from Wisconsin

Go for a 218 or 230 if you want something bigger without doing any welding. Mine has a 218 and for me that will be plenty. Just have to get the car done so I can drive it next year.

30. chucksrodgarage

chucksrodgarage
    from wisconsin

what are the 218 and 230 originally out of?