Register now to get rid of these ads!

Goodguys Rhinebeck moved to Massachusetts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay Ess, Sep 29, 2011.

1. speedyg948

speedyg948

hey led sled saw your ride at rhinebeck and it knocked my socks off, nice tribute to westergard...spoke to a gg rep at rhinebeckand he said that even with all the cars paying registration, they need to have a big spectator turnout to make money.. in his words.. after all it is a business... thats what killed pocono and blue suede cruise... guess they figure a larger spectator gate at this venue... for me to get there i have to travel some really crappy roads through brooklyn and queens .. oh well gotta do what you gotta do!

2. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith

I have been to a lot of shows and Rhinebeck was the best.The fair grounds with the trees .benches ,good food,easy parking,clean rest rooms and country roads to get there,made it an outstanding venue.maybe someone should contact the fair board,get an email adress and let us have at them.It could be they need feed back as much as good guys.As far as vendors I spent a ton on parts for my panel there in 2007.Anyone think about Lime rock for a car show site.Real nice location some shade,and it handles crowds on race weeks.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Knowing how the stores in this area have come to rely on the Vintiques of Yakima North West Nationals as an added "good weekend over the past 40 something years it hurts the local economy when a big event pulls out or in this case gets run out by the powers that be both on the state and local level.
    The minimart on the corner will have several thousand dollars less beer sales that weekend, the gas stations will lose those sales, the kids who would have worked concessions or in the cafes won't get to work and on down the line and all the sales tax that the town would have collected won't be collected over the weekend.
    Here locally when you walk up to the checkstand in a store the clerk tends to ask where you are from when they see your event arm band. That lets them know how many out of town customers that the event brought them over the weekend.

4. i hope it comes back to Rhinebeck

5. KIRK!

KIRK!

So does Goodguys.

6. CruZer

CruZer

Actually, I hope the Right Coast Assoc. looks into doing a show at Rhinebeck.
    GreedGuys is to darn expensive for me.

7. hemi

hemi

Boy you really can't please everybody, can you? The show hasn't even happened.. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

I'm looking forward to it and the cars that attend....

8. I'm still stunned that downtown Springfield was chosen.
    I have friends who live there and friends who own business' there and I'm told you'd better watch your back at night around there. It has a reputation of being a rough part of Massachusetts.
    I feel very uncomfortable taking one of my hot rods there and leaving it parked outside overnight.
    I'd be concerned for my own well being even more so.
    Didn't Good-Guys explore the possibility of Worcester, Mass and it's beautiful parks?
    What about the Topsfield Fairground, or spots on Cape Cod? Picturesque Rhode- Island has some beautiful and SECURE places to offer as well.
    Even lovely coastal Maine and the entire state of New Hampshire have a lot to offer.
    I'm a Massachusetts resident, a resident of 64 years I'd like to add. I'd love to see a major event come to the historic "Bay State" , BUT.............Springfield???
    Why Father's day weekend also?
    I'm very uneasy about Good-Guy's decision on this move.
    I hope we get some feed back from some of the Stokers club members of Springfield and other hot rod groups in the area to hear their take on this news.
    Maybe they will set our minds at ease a little bit on this unraveling news.

9. Being somewhat familiar with that area as are my friends who usually attend Rhinebaeck, I can tell you that we (and I am speaking for my other friends) will not be attending. When the desk clerk in the hotel tells you not to go out after dark as it is extremely dangerous you begin to think twice about visiting the area again. I was in this situation years ago in Columbia, SC at the SE Nats and we ended up hiring a Pinkerton guard to watch our vehicles through out the night from 11-6am. We watched them before and after that. There was a drug bust in the parking lot at around 4 am. Not a great place. I don't remember the Nats being there again. Think they moved it to TN after that. Clearly we were in the wrong part of town! IMHO the Big E is also in the wrong part of town.

10. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

I was planning on vending in Rhinebeck next year, Even though this is close to home, I'm not real fond of Springfield. I'll give it a chance, though. Why not?

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

What happened to the middle four paragraphs? They were very well said.

12. superchargednailhead

superchargednailhead

Just for the record the show is not in downtown Springfield. Big difference between West Springfield and Springfield .

13. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith

Found a email adress for the fair board.I sent a short note telling them how much the Rhinebeck show will be missed and asked for a reason they would not give GG a date,and if in the future it might be back.It might be interesting to hear there side.the adress is [email protected] .Waitting to here from them.

14. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is very sad news. My husband and i use to go every year. That area is so beautiful. You just can't beat the ever ready diner in Hyde Park.
    Gasser Girl

15. skidsteer

skidsteer

And, if you remember, Pocono was the result of them killing the Hershey show, which seemed to be always well attended!!

16. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

You can definitely include me OUT. The Big-E sucks. The buildings smell like cowshit. I've set-up there at hobby shows and the tax man will be there.

17. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Obviously the deciding members of GoodGuys NEVER spent a night near the Big E Fairgrounds!
    There is NO WAY IN HELL I would spend an overnight in that town !
    Don't get me wrong there are some nice people who live near the Big E
    Fairgrounds but its the people that come out after dark I want no part of.
    Having gone to the Big E fairgrounds for home shows (as vender and visitor), swap meets and the fair - its okay to visit in the daytime but at night, NEVER EVER !
    Never mind the fact that the roads are one lane in each direction and you get to dance around the rotary on the way in and out, the on-ramp for the highway was designed for cars doing 50 NOT 70 coming at you!
    Father's day weekend, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING! Oblivious to Laconia ?
    BAD IDEA - Big E or Worcester Green Hills Park !

I personally won't go as I just don't think it's smart, but any one who plans on going can keep me in mind if they need help, I'll do what I can.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  18. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

NY is a tax nightmare

19. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

My pop has been setting up at both Rhinebeck Goodguys and the Big E swapmeet for many many years. As long as you have your tax paper work for each state, there is no big deal.
    Never heard of a state asking for money from mail orders due to catalogs being handed out. Sounds like BS or someone trying to make some quick cash. Probably could have been handled by contacting the state revenue dept.
    Ebay and the cost of fuel have been the major contributing factors to many if not most swap meet vendor counts declining. I don't think the tax man is it. Englishtown NJ has been dealing with taxmen for years as have so many other swap meets.

As far as getting people there, start posting alternate routes for those who might be attending. A 25 ft trailer is gonna suck on the rotary off I 91. rt159 won't like the traffic much either especially going past 6 flags. (which will be in full swing by fathers day weekend).

Wait until every spectator car and vendor vehicle not parked inside the show gates gets the $7 parking fee that the fairgrounds charges (which isn't included in the general admission price-atleast not for the Jan swapmeet, model train show, home shows etc). That won't make too many friends either. Infact the promoters of the swapmeet cover the cost for the vendors to park as they have no control of it either.

20. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

When Broke back mountain came out, I didn't go see it. If the format is lousy, why attend. If I like women, not men why would I want to?
    Same idea...
    If you have been to several other events there from swapmeets, to trade shows to the actual 'Big E'. you might know what the venue is like.

21. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Hershey was only really well attended the first year, then it dropped off. Pocono never took off.
    Goodguys made the attempt to have a June and Sept show on the East Coast
    . The Sept show was Rhinebeck and did very well over the years. They couldn't get a June show to take off. Starting out at Carlisle in late June Early July, did well a few years then dropped off. Then Medina Ohio, never took off-only did 2 yrs I think.
    Then Hershey, ok once, soso the second. Then they decided to put Pocono a week or so after Rhinebeck. No good, so they moved Rhinebeck to June to help people make the adjustment from going to one show (Rhinebeck) to the other (Pocono). Still no good. I understand that the Pocono show location was good enough, access roads, food, lodging etc...
    Now they are moving Rhinebeck... If it were me (and obviously it isn't) I would have tried to move the date back to Sept, and if needed contact the local chamber of commerce to see if they could help persuade the fairground commitee to be a little more accomodating as it has proven for several years that it is a large revenue source for not only the fairgrounds, concession stands, but nearly every business in Rhinebeck, plus Hyde Park and so many from the fairgrounds all the way down rt9 back to I84
    Remember when Gary left NSRA because of how they were doing things???

22. Scrumpy

Scrumpy
    from NH93 Exit1

Fathers Day Weekend is also Laconia Bike Week. As an event Laconia is really not that far away from Springfield. I understand that it is a bit of a different crowd but there is definitely some crossover and there will be number of car folks that are also bike folks who will already be busy that weekend.

-Scrump

23. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

I doubt Laconia will effect the car count, but could have an impact on the spectator count.
    For most (not all) I think it is more location than date. That being said, I still wish it was in Rhinebeck in Sept.

24. ls7gto

ls7gto

yea, 40 bucks to looks at 75% junk at Syracuse, plus another 30 to join if you want their $hit paper rag of a magazine. so you end up at 55 bucks for the show and member ship, plus another 10 if you didnt pre -register. for a whoppin savings of 10 bucks. But no gazette... but you get to see mustang 2s, and late 70s camaros with shackles.

25. I lived in Poughkeepsie when GG first came to Rhinebeck went to all the events up until 2000 when I moved.I always had a good time.In that time frame I would go to the winter swap meet at the bigE. My buddy was hassled in the parking lot when we loading the truck. Can't see how this would be even close to being the same as Rhinebeck.I stored my cars for the winter at the fair grounds in Rhinebeck and they were not easy to deal with.

26. dugbred

dugbred

Kirk, if I might add my $ .02

First of all, I'm not here to bash GG's, but maybe add some constuctive ideas.

I understand that GG's is a business, and needs to be run as such. However, it seems, in the case of GG venues, the customer's (GG members) wishes, and ideas are never considered before a change. Their input is only heard after a change.

What I might suggest, is when a change of venue is needed, for business reasons, have a big spread in the Gazette, asking for ideas, and input from the members, on possible new venues in the area. Maybe ask for local car clubs to come up with ideas, or proposals. If there is a question about the location for the East Coast Nationals in 2013 - start now, asking for ideas, from members.

I think that many members, like my Wife, and myself, see a GG's event as a vacation, not just a car show. Things like lodging, meals, the trip, to and from the event, and safety, all being a major part of the weekend. With no offense to the people who live in Springfield - that's not really a vacation destination. It will just be another car show in a parking lot.

Believe me, when I say, we want GoodGuys to succeed as much as you do.

Thanks for listening, Doug

27. This is a perfect opportunity for the Right Coast and (or) NSRA to step up to the "Negotiation Table" of the Duchess County Fairground Co. and the Hudson Vally Street Rod Club and work out a compromising pair of events for Spring and fall events.
    It might be helpful to include shop and motel and hotel owners of the area along with the Chamber of Commerce and the restaurant association in a discussion to save the car show venue for Rhinebeck.
    This is a huge opportunity for all involved to master-plan out a new show schedule that's equitable to all involved parties.
    I'm sure the Hudson Vally area will feel the economic impact on any fairground decision very shortly.
    I agree with most everyone that Springfield might not have been the best choice but Good-guys went ahead with it and now it's up to another group to fill the empty slot we all want back so desperately.
    Goodguys loss should become another organization's grand opportunity.
    In this harsh economic time the merchants and residents of the Hudson Vally New York area and the Department of Revenue should all cooperate and work closely with each other to put Rhinebeck back at the top of the North East car show circuit.
    Anything less is financial suicide.
    Incidentally, I'm a proud, long time member of Goodguys, membership number 575. I've enjoyed the benefits of club membership and have always appreciated what the club has done for me and all the other members in the past.
    This move to Springfield embarrass me as a member. I think Goodguy let us down in not working harder to save this fine show.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  28. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

For all of you complaining about the new date being Father's Day , why don't you take your Father to the show. And if your kids are looking for something special to do for you , ask them to go with you and your father to the show. Ya think ?

29. kustomcar53

kustomcar53

If you guys like the fairgrounds, there's another show there on the first full weekend in May. It's a weekend event also, with a pretty big swap meet (and it's not vendors like Flowmaster and Flaming River- it's all old parts) Hot Rods and Customs on Saturday. Sunday is for restored-to-stock cars, though hot rods show up that day also...

30. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

i heard for the big E show to become a GG member, you get beat in. YEAH BOYEEEE!!!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011