Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got my car painted....not too thrilled

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sixtwo, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It all depends on the owner of the Maaco, some will let you provide the paint. In these strange economic times most companies have become more accomodating, better to get a job than to lose it. The secret with getting a good job from someone like Maaco is to do most of the prep work yourself, remove all the trim, and tell the painter you are going to tip him generously for taking some extra care. A little appreciation money goes a long way. :)

Don

2. Abomb

Abomb

The Maaco thing is an option, and chopolds is right on with his statement....I consider myself a decent "doityourself" painter, but single stage metallic is the hardest stuff to get right, and I won't ever try it again. Adding the complexity of getting a satin single stage metallic paint to lay down even, and you have a nightmare for most painters. I have figured out how to get a decent finish with hotrod flatz, but would never even attempt to use their pearl / metallic colors.

Scuff it and take it to Maaco is probably the best advice on this thread, I'm sure that they have a decent catalog of colors, and maybe you could get them to use a satin clear if that's what you really want. Your tech school guy may also be an option, but that paint may give him fits too....unless maybe you use it just as a base, and add satin clear over it.

good luck

3. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

This is a matter of personal opinion, of course.....but I agree 100%. No more shiny paint for me. One chip, and I get upset. Primer looks great to me, and screams "traditional hot rod" to me. jmo. Not trying to start a war/drama. :)

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Scuff and reshoot, basecoat and clear, shiny if you have to have metallic, metallic flat is silly to me. And if you go white wall, skinny whites, not wide whites on that car...

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Zman just hit what I was going to say... For the love of god don't put WIDE whites on that car. Just the little pinstripe type narrow whites. I see way too many young guys putting heavy, fifties wide whites on sixties cars these days, and it looks as wrong as salamie ice cream. For narrow whites that are affordable, head to Pep Boys and look at their cornell line. Decent quality and the are inexpensive. A huge NO on the black steel wheels, too.

6. choptvan

choptvan

Exactly. I agree 100%. As stated previoulsy, you get what you pay for as well.

7. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I was thinking the same thing. Plus, if you don't know what you're doing, why do metallic, and satin. The painter really needs experience to do either one, let alone both.

My personal opinion - Sick of seeing satin finishes anyway.:rolleyes:

8. duffymadness

duffymadness

A little out of the box, but back in the day when I was in High School and old hot rodder friend suggested I buff my primer. I shot a couple nice thick coats of black primer sealer then buffed it like it was paint. Suprisingly it came out great. A sheen somewhere between flat and shiny and it was somewhat protected against fingerprints, etc. Loading that primer up with a bunch of buffing compound is a little shetch if you are planning on painting it later, but I wasn't so it worked out well.

9. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Semiflat / semigloss finishes are certainly more forgiving if your panels aren't dialed in, but a good friend explains it this way, and I've always thought it was brilliant point:

When done properly, a semigloss metallic or pearl job can alter the entire "feel" of the car, such that the paint is no longer just a shell of color, but rather can convey that the car itself is somehow sculpted from some exotic, even otherwordly metal.

10. S.F.

S.F.

nice looking car, the only thing I'd change is get rid of those high back bucket seats. They dont fit the car.

11. i would be thinking of how i could use that as base coat for something else....

12. nutbush

nutbush
    from Texas

This statement says it all. You got exactly what you wanted.

13. skot71

skot71

Here's a visual of what some people have suggested. White top, white walls, no headrests.

Attached Files:

14. castironkev

castironkev

Looking at it from the flip side, think of the poor guy that done the paint. He's probably not too impressed with the job himself but he had a go. You need a big pair of balls to attempt a repaint on a barge as big as that if you're not a pro- especially in metallic!!
    I have to go with most other comments here and say scuff n reshoot.
    Skip the black rims tho. They for boy racers driving euro trash!!
    Good luck with it. It's a cool ride no matter what!!

15. Clevername

Clevername

X3 on the Maaco suggestion. I went by the local Gladwin paint supply here in Austin to ask about paints -told the guy I wasn't looking to spend $10k for a job and would probably end up doing all the bodywork myself, but I was a little worried about the painting. He recommended a specific Maaco shop. Ask around, and hit a few paint shops. Doesn't cost anything but gas.

16. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

If you're taking a pole - I'll go with a white roof and take the headrests off. Other than that - the wheels...I like the Cragars. that's what people were using when I was a kid! Period correct tires and enjoy it!

17. Tony

Tony

Yep, i'd stick with the Cragars and add some thin whites, especially with that color. Pure 60's vibe. Ad the white top would be slick too!
    And also have to agree with the scuff and reshoot. Just do it yourself, it's not that hard. :)

Just picture this but your color (sorry no hood in that pic, didn't have it painted yet) :D:D
    I painted this in the garage you see it in, and was only my second metallic paint job. You CAN do it.

You have a cool car, and i dig the color regardless of how it turned out.

Tony

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  18. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

19. walls

walls

You are very helpful and have a positive attitude. I would probably enjoy your company.:)

Anyway, always thin whites on a 60's ride. Keep the rims for now, and a white top is my suggestion.
    You said the paint didn't fit the car or your personality, be happy you didn't spend a bunch of cash while having those feelings.
    A repaint is in order but, try not to be discouraged. You'll get it figured out.

20. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I really do actually and I always try to help where I can! ;)

I just didn't like the tone of his initial post where he's all depressed over an inexperienced but willing friend who had some issues doing the car.
    The friend let him use HIS materials and HIS garage for a week so that the car could get done!

The guy had problems YES....but the original poster is looking a gift horse in the mouth.

He shouldn't come on to a public forum and complain about a guy who went out of his way to try to help.

It's NOT a professional job, I agree.

It's a FREE job.
    And he got what he paid for no matter what it looks like.

If pointing that out as I did makes me a bad person...I wear the title with pride...
    because I DON'T believe in hanging lifes too few GOOD PEOPLE out to dry!

If I were the OP.....I'd grab a couple of cases, go to other guys house, get drunk with my buddy...and laugh about the silly frickin' paint job...not complain about it to a bunch of internet strangers.

21. castironkev

castironkev

@ Hackerbilt,

I'm with you on that one!!!!
    I'm not an internet stranger tho..... I'm a strange interneter!!!!

22. TERPU

TERPU

Lots of good advice here, take what you need from it. Your car is Bitchin' just because it's a '62 Impala. Love those and always will. I know you dreamed of a pristine tangerine chariot all smooth and semi shiny and you got less than that. No worries, I think we've all had this experience. I paint most of my own stuff and some for others. Painting is a long term study that takes lots and lots of practice. Even I had a seasoned pro with lots more time on a gun than me spray my '54 because I knew he would do a better job. We still had a few issues. Sand it all down like was suggested with 600 and either Maaco it which is a totally great way to go on the cheap, or do it yourself. Just don't grab metallic on the first one, especially cheap metallic it splotches and tigerstripes really bad. You can do this son't give up. You stated you are a Butcher, man T-Bones will get you alot in this world. If you were closer I'd help you fix it, what part of the country are you moving to in a few months?

The suggestion of paneling, lacing, and ribboning the car would be easily done and hide all the things you don't like, Buy some fineline and start going after it a panel at a time. Plus it will fit the cragars and pinners of you do it right. Can you tell I love '62's? You've got a great start there.

Tim

PS- Tony that Imp of yours is the cats meow buddy.

23. themadone

themadone
    from Pekin IN

Is that hot rod flatz copper pearl? I got it on my truck. I got it right but it was very tricky to shoot. If you havent used it before there is definately a learning curve.

24. sixtwo

sixtwo

Yes, HRF copper pearl....
    I appreciate all the advice and comments, but I am def not looking a gift horse in the mouth and I'm not complaining and was very thankful for what was done. The gentleman who sprayed the car is 70 years old and a former painter. His 49 caddy that he had just sprayed silver and white was at the house and looked great...not flawless but very nice.
    There's a ton of experiences on this forum and I got what I was looking for..insight, advice, ideas etc... and I'm very thankful to all of you for that as well.
    As far as the seats..not sure why I put those in, just wanted a change....Pretty sure I'm putting the original bench back in though.
    To Tony:
    What size tires are you running on your car. 215-70-15 in small ww is what I'm looking at...

25. sixtwo

sixtwo

Oh yea, someone asked where I'm moving to...I'll be in Roseburg Oregon in December....goodbye connections and friends.

26. hemiboy

hemiboy

When you get to Roseburg, look up Jack Watkins, "Native Rock" hauling owner. Heck of a nice guy, great painter. Tell him Jeff Hanan sent you. You'll make good connections from there. LOTS of car activity and people in Roseburg- I really enjoyed my 15 years there.

27. sixtwo

sixtwo

Thanks Hemiboy, that's nice to hear. I went to Medford in August for some festival in August (blackberry festival?) and there were a lot of nice local cars there, hoping the adjustment from East to West isn't too difficult.

28. Tony

Tony

I'm running 14's all around. Front are 215-70-14 rear are 225-70-14. The car is on air and i'm pretty sure had i gone with 15's the front would rub the inner fenders when it's down. As it is it rubs the inner fenders when it's dropped if i try to turn much.
    I do have 2 other set's of wheels for the car, one the stock steelies which are 14's too, and another a vintage M/T 5 spokes that are 15's with blackwalls ( that have been on during mock up but not since).

And TERPU, thank you! i appreciate that.

Tony

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  29. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I agree! White top, pinner whites, roll the hell out of her!

30. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

Time out! not to pry but prep and body work is 99 percent of a paint job. it can take months to body work and prep a car, it only takes a few hours to spray it. Now obviously the paint work in question is well ... questionable, but I get guys at the shop all the time. I'll body work it if you just want to spray it. my answer is NO! we body work it no matter what or how good you think you might be. I'm not putting my paint on someone elses' body work. Its funny the painter gets all the bad rep for a bad paint job but if the base he is spraying over is sub par then there's nothing a spray gun can do to fix it.

On the other hand if it is indeed quality body work done by somebody with experience and know how and the paint comes out crappy then yeah the painter failed. you can teach a monkey to spray paint. it's the hours upon hours of prep and final sand/buff to really make it pop. I've sprayed some crappy orange peely runs galore paint jobs but was able to sand it out slicker than snot!
    sorry this strikes a cord with me, when someone blames the wrong person. Not saying you are because clearly the paint on the original photo is blotchy, but a crap paint job isn't ALWAYS the painters fault
    end rant