Register now to get rid of these ads!

331 cadillac bore job

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodiejon, Sep 30, 2011.

1. woodiejon

woodiejon

Hi guys help me out. I had a 331 caddy block bored out to 4.000 dia. 365 cc, But it broke thru the water jackets in the bottom of the bore.I was told i can bore these out to 4.250 dia. whats up ? Do i have a very early block or something? Its too thin for sleeves.

2. r8odecay

r8odecay

Core shift or early '49 perhaps? Spring loaded cam and center bolt valve covers perchance?

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Anyone who told you you can bore a 331 to 4 1/4 is dangerous jerk. When they were new we went to 4 inches. A 4 by 4 Cad was 400 inches, a giant motor in my youth. Yours rusted out at the bottom of the water jackets. Are you sure you can't sleeve it? I had a GMC fall through and saved it with a sleeve.

4. 4.250" , Heaven help us all. or " Run Forest Run!!!! ". take your pic, TR

5. 73RR

73RR

What idiot machinist starts cutting without sonic checking first????
    Geeesh

Find a new machine shop and ask about sleeves, but you will likely need eight. Is the block worth $800??

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You could probably sleeve it and pour an inch or two of hard block in it. It hasn't been honed yet, I would think. Who would bore it without sonic checking. Somebody without a sonic checker. Which is almost everybody.

7. JeremyJames

JeremyJames
    from concord NC
    1. HAMB Merc Club

I had the same problem with #8 on my 331 after boring it to 4". every other place in the bores had plenty of meat. we sleeved it and went on with our bidness. just chocked it up to a core shift.

8. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I have never done it myself, I have heard of those blocks being safely bored to a max of 3/16"(4.0"). The reason you can bore them that far is because they were not made with the same precision as later blocks, That same lack of precision means that some blocks will tolerate what others won't. I wouldn't consider boring one 3/16" without first thoroughly sonic checking how much material is there. Even if it doesn't break through you could end up with a scary thin cylinder wall. Even if you successfully sleeve it, that's not as good as an uncompromised block. If I wanted a significant displacement in that engine family I would just start with a 365 or 390.

9. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Had one bored 3/16's years ago and ran it for years on the street. Ran it in my
    55 Nomad. Had no luck with small blocks even back then. Guess I got lucky.

10. JeremyJames

JeremyJames
    from concord NC
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Starting with a 365 or 390 is a great idea........but your transmission options greatly diminish when you get away from the extended bell of the earlier Cadillacs.