Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Traditional wheels, part 2 (wires)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 50Fraud, Sep 27, 2011.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

EDIT: If you've enjoyed this thread, check out
    parts 1 (steelies) @ http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629421
    and 3 (alloys) @ http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630669.

EARLY WIRES
    In yesterday's thread about steel wheels, I promised a discussion of other types of wheels. Wire wheels have been a part of the hot rod scene since the beginning, although they appear on a tiny fraction of the total population.

Ford used wires as standard equipment on their vehicles from 1927 through 1935, in diameters from 16" through 21". Some of the tall ones are still occasionally seen on T's:

[​IMG]

An upgrade from the Ford wires were Buffalo (and other) knockoff wheels; these too are occasionally seen on T's, but they are rare and expensive:

[​IMG]

In the last few years some hot rodders have been using the '32-34 Ford wheels, still relatively affordable, on fenderless cars. IMO these don't look sturdy enough to transmit any serious horsepower.

KELSEYS
    Ford wheels were reduced in diameter every year or two, finally to 16" in 1935, and aftermarket vendors such as Kelsey-Hayes and Motor Wheel produced upgrades with more and/or adjustable spokes in the same years and sizes. The 16" bent-spoke Kelseys were a favorite of hot rodders in the '30s and '40s; they declined in popularity by 1950, but were resurrected by traditional hot rod guys circa 1980 (?).

I am personally crazy about these wheels, and love to see them on both fendered and fenderless cars pre-'36:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New aftermarket wheels are offered today in 15" and larger sizes which resemble the ultra-rare adjustable-spoke Kelseys. I like these too, but some view them as street roddy and unsuitable for HAMB-friendly vehicles.

EUROPEAN WIRES
    Knockoff wire wheels were used on European sports cars until the '60s. Aluminum-rim Borranis are at the top of this class. This photo shows an attractive feature of all wire wheels; they become "transparent" when they're spinning:

[​IMG]

As beautiful and functional as these wheels are, they are almost never used in the hot rod or custom communities. John Buttera used something similar on his T sedan, but I think these are Rudge-type wheels from a Jaguar:

[​IMG]

LATER DOMESTIC FACTORY WHEELS
    Around 1953, American carmakers started using sporty features borrowed from foreign cars. Among these were wire wheels, used on limited-series convertibles. Buick, Packard, Cadillac, Chrysler and Ford all made variations on this theme. The Buick Skylark wheels were the ones most enthusiastically adopted by hot rod and custom guys in the '60s, when they could still be found in junkyards at reasonable prices:

[​IMG]

The Cadillac, Chrysler, and Ford wheels, with their larger hubs, have enjoyed some popularity on '60s era customs, but are rarely used on earlier cars:

[​IMG]

MODERN KNOCKOFFS
    Dayton and Zenith offer a variety of knockoff wheels in many diameters, finishes, and lacing patterns, but their use on specialty cars seems limited to the lowrider community and an occasional street rod.

Probably a major factor in the popularity (or lack thereof) on hot rods and customs has been cost. Wire wheels are a pricy alternative to steelies or many kinds of alloy wheels. The clear exceptions to this were Kelseys and Buicks, surely the two most popular varieties; both of these were available at low prices in junkyards for many years. No more!

That's about all I have to offer on this subject. Have I overlooked anything important?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. Clevername

Clevername

I appreciate you putting this together.

3. When we first put together this little 29 RPU, it had wires on it. Ran it that way for 7 years - now it has Torque Thrusts, was time for a change to a more 60's Hot Rod look - so I chopped the windshield, lost the Flying Quail, lowered the front a little more and changed the wheels
    [​IMG]

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ha! Ya skipped an entire decade and a half of wire wheels by not mentioning Tru-Spokes and the later darlings Zenith... 'Course, some traditional guys do wish to forget that era!

5. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Wow.......more great information!!
    Thanks much,
    Cheers..................

6. alchemy

alchemy

I'm a traditional guy and I don't want to forget Tru-Spokes. A very low full fendered '28 Ford with narrow Tru-Spokes can't be beat.

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Thanks... I'm still a bit partial to them too! On the right car of course. Oh, and I did reread and see that you did mention the Zenith wheels. But there was a time when to get any magazine coverage, that's what you needed. Doesn't seem that long ago...

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Then along came the Buick Skylark wires (5 on 5"), Chrysler Imperial wires(5 on 5.5"), Chrysler, Dodge & DeSoto wires (all different but all had 5 on 4.5" pattern), and later T-bird wires (5 on 4.5").
    There were others but these were the most available and affordable.
    All, I think, acceptable on hotrods, chromed or painted.

Oh yeah, that little brown T sedan currently lives in Houston and is still Ford V6, auto and a sweet little car.

9. slammed

slammed

One thing you may add. A super subtle early '60's low rider with the chrome wires. Very good show here.

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I did write something about Tru-Spokes, saying that they were based on the Skylark design, but the copy didn't read well so I deleted it. Apart from the junkyard availability, I'd say that Skylarks and Tru-Spokes are pretty much interchangeable in terms of popularity and appropriateness to certain styles of cars.

I did allude to all of this, if only briefly, right above and below the picture of Lee Pratt's Impala. I think the Skylarks were by far the most popular of these, or at least appeared on the most high-visibility cars. The MoPar and Ford variants have mainly been used on '50s and '60s body styles; I've rarely seen them on pre-war cars.

Different car. The Buttera sedan is in the Petersen Museum collection (permanently), and has a smallblock V8 Ford in it.

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Do you have a particular car in mind? I used Pratt's '58 to represent the '60s style, although it was built much more recently.

12. slammed

slammed

No. But someone out there must have a car in mind. The '58 shown is wicked. But leaning toward the '60's car you will tie it in, just before the dreaded muscle car/pony cars took off.

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Different car. The Buttera sedan is in the Petersen Museum collection (permanently), and has a smallblock V8 Ford in it.[/QUOTE]

You are right. The car I've ridden in is a yellow and brown 26-27 Tudor with a Capri V6 but was built by Lil John Buttera according to the owner. The car pictured is, I think, a 23-25 Tudor with 26-27 fenders/boards and aprons.

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I rolled these Jaguar wires (made by Dayton) for a while. I still love the look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You are right. The car I've ridden in is a yellow and brown 26-27 Tudor with a Capri V6 but was built by Lil John Buttera according to the owner. The car pictured is, I think, a 23-25 Tudor with 26-27 fenders/boards and aprons.[/QUOTE]

Without derailing the topic too much further, The car pictured is a '27 built by Lil' John about '72 or '73 or so. Considered by many to be one of the best ever, and as high profile as it got back in the day. I'm not aware of any others that Buttera built, but he was at one time a functioning chassis shop owner, so there could be others that he worked on.

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Once again, I forgot a couple of things that I meant to say:

THE APPEAL OF WIRE WHEELS
    What's the point, anyway? They passed out of use on production cars because they're expensive, heavy, hard to keep clean, and eventually require adjustment or maintenance. So why would you use them on your specialty car?

I think the appeal is entirely visual. When they're standing still, they add texture and detail to one of the few exposed mechanical components of the car. A little bit like wearing a pinstriped shirt.

When they're in motion, they're visually busy. At low speeds, they (especially chrome wires) sparkle and reflect light much more intricately than your flipper disc. At cruising speed, the spokes blur out so that the wheel appears transparent. Kinda magical, like the wheel is hovering around the hub.

Finally -- at least for those who paid attention to race cars from the '30s through the '60s -- they just look mysterious and complex, like they somehow make the car go faster or handle better.

So: macho bling.

FAUX WIRE WHEELS
    For all the reasons above, fake wires have been around for more than fifty years. In the '50s, these Cal-nevar wire hubcaps were a relatively popular aftermarket accessory, used on daily drivers, homebuilt sports cars, and even customs:

[​IMG]

I mention the caps above because they really did appear on a lot of cars. Detroit automakers made fake wire wheel hubcaps, too: Ford, Cadillac, Oldsmobile and others. I'm not bothering to show them because they're all basically lame looking, and nobody on here would think of using them.

And then, of course, there were these:

[​IMG]

FINALLY
    Another roadster with Kelsey-looking aftermarket wheels -- just because it's pretty:

[​IMG]

17. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

18. fordcpe

fordcpe

This is my 34 ford with 55 caddy wire wheels painted red and adapter to run the 34 hub caps they are 15"x 6".Darrell

Attached Files:

fourspd2quad likes this.
  19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  20. maverickman514

maverickman514

great write up..... yet I was blasted because I had 20" knock-offs on my 56 Effie.... my thread was removed for being "off topic" because someone didn't think that my truck is going to fit THIER vision of a traditional rod.... but I do appreciate the work and research ypu put into this thread.

21. rattlesnakehoey

rattlesnakehoey
    from Australia

Thanx fer the wheel threads, appreciate your effort.

22. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

In the early 70s I spotted a 62 Corvette in a used car lot. I gave it the once over real quick one night thinking that it had the fake hub caps. I had some mags at home that I planned on using so I didn't pay much attention. When I came back to pick it up they told me the inspection station had a hard time getting the wheels off. Those hubcaps turned out to be genuine knock off wire wheels. I spent some time with a stiff bristle brush and Naval Jelly cleaning them up. I wasn't wild about them at that time but they were very rare at that time.

I love painted wires. I've had them on many old Fords.

[​IMG]

I stole these KHs off of Ebay several years ago now. Pitless, powder coated and delivered for 450 bucks.

I had 35 wires on a 36 P/U (hydraulics) and a 32 Sport coupe.

I had a set of used Tru Spokes on a 26 Roadster.

23. Thanks, Tony, for taking the time to do this thread. Valuable info and good discussion.

24. nail-head

nail-head

My first choice for my Riv was wires, for the very reasons you list. I like that they show off big finned Buick drums, but then I saw the prices.

25. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I always liked wires. Classy and elegant.

26. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

Attached Files:

27. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Appreciate you writing this up Tony, but saying Skylarks and Tru-Spokes are "interchangable" as far as fitting a build is like saying a Street Beast is the same as a real '34 Ford. Not even close to someone that REALLY loves Skylark wires. To me Tru-Spokes can only SCREAM late-70s and early-80s. The Sam Hollingsworth '57 Nomad would not be the same car it is without the Skylarks- as well as all the early Early Times cars that ran them- only a few ever ran Tru-Spokes- they were just lame.

28. pinky sr

pinky sr
    from mi

do the after market wires have fixed spokes or do you have to tru them in iam talking about the v8 cap style

29. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I love 'em too.

Jim, my comment was based on observation rather than personal experience. I can see the obvious difference that the Skylark spinner adds, but the wheels look much the same to me. Are there significant differences in the spoke pattern or construction?

30. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

It's just a "close" copy. Many small details are different- the chrome sucked and they usually ran them way wider than the 5.5 inch width the Skylarks ran. The Skylark wires on the new Hollingsworth Nomad came from my stash. I will be running a set on a kustom in the near future.