Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine stand Cradle type

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blacksmith54, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Blacksmith54

Blacksmith54
    from Phoenix AZ

I finished a new engine stand so I could tear down the 331 Industrial Hemi I picked up recently from Steve at Industrial Chassisthe engine was locked up as it had some rust in the number three cyclinder and a stuck valve as I tore the engine down I found I love this engine stand more and more. it does not turn over from the end like most engine stand I have used in the past I made this one to turn in the center of the bock from the sides both ends are left open so working on the engine was a breeze. My friend Bill Randell came by and saw it and as he has three 356s and a 392 he wants one also as this thing can handle the weight of the hemi motors very easily. also you can set up your transmission on this stand as well by shifting the weight to balance the additional load.:cool:

Attached Files:

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

interesting ferris wheel

3. a40lover

a40lover

looks a lot more stable than the single pivot type. nice one!

4. vegas

vegas

I sure could have used that doing mine! I didn't trust it on a normal stand of any type without propping the front up!

5. Blacksmith54

Blacksmith54
    from Phoenix AZ

Sorry 354 not 356 yes I have used maybe forty to fifty different engine stands over the years some massive some pretty but useless.this is the first I have used that did everything I wanted to do and with nothing in the way.

Yes I spent some time dreaming up this one and it is most likely on it's way out the door as I am looking at improvements already.:cool:

Attached Files:

6. Blacksmith54

Blacksmith54
    from Phoenix AZ

oops:eek:

Attached Files:

7. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

I like the idea, thanks for sharing. Will probably try something like this before buying another conventional style.

I'm thinking maybe a removable platform on the bottom to hold a drip tray when using as a work stand or a second engine when long term storing 2 in the space of one. Also the possibility of a removable or telescoping connector between the 2 sides to conserve space when empty.

Ed

8. Well I like it real well. It has got to be way more stable than your standard engine stand. Maybe I'll build mine that way.

9. cavemag

cavemag

10. outlaw256

outlaw256

man thats a great lookin stand.these engine stands today scare the hell out of me.ive got 7 store bought stands all but 2 are 1000lbs and even witha full dressed sbc they seem to sway.if you start producing those to selll i want one.!!

11. 73RR

73RR

Hell, just take two of yours and turn them sideways...:D

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Nice,
    very stable, and stout.

13. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Get on the phone to the Chinese, you could see these in Autozone by next month... :rolleyes:

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Well I am looking at the pictures and I can't see how the engine is attached to the stand. Can you post a picture that has less shadow or just tell me. My brother built one pretty much the same as yours for a 2000cc Pinto, of all things. But it had all kinds of bosses to bolt to. I only remember the motor mount bosses on the Chrysler and most other OHV V8s. Thank you.

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are a heavy chunk of iron, aren't they? Some larger, close up pictures of the stand would certainly be appreciated.

16. looks good, if you make that bottom center leg a slip fit connection you could use that on a lot of engines. i like it!!!

17. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

1000 Chinese pounds are like 250 American pounds.

18. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

SIMILAR TO THE DIESEL ENGINE STAND
    [​IMG]

19. Bigger pictures please.

20. Blacksmith54

Blacksmith54
    from Phoenix AZ

I made the center not moveable for alignment reasons but it might work anyways that way but with a 725 lb engine I was not taking a chance and I have also started on a set of pans to go on the legs to catch the drips and as I am using it to clean the block to also keep the mess to a tollerable amount. As I am making two more for friends I will get a chance to figure out how much in material and time it would take to make these.

I am using the side mounts with more length so a narrower engine would not be a problem the one I made for this unit are just long enough to work so newer units will have long pivot bars. I will try to get better pic's of the mount points and I know that most other engines use a flat to the side of the engine type motor mount so most of these would be fairly easy to make as a generic main mount and the back of the block would be an adjustable bar system making the a lot of engines fairly adaptable to this stand type. and most of us here can do some basic metal fab stuff or at least draw a good picture of it so I can help out with the part and add it to the pile of mount systems.

21. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

I really like the idea cuz I've got a 331 that needs to be gone through. As others have said, any detail of your mounting means would be most helpful.

22. Blacksmith54

Blacksmith54
    from Phoenix AZ

I got a chance to get back out in the shop today and I pulled the stand out into the sun so lets see if these up load:cool:

Attached Files:

23. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

Stands for vintage ferrari V-12's are nearly identical.

24. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Yea im going to have to build one, or three!

25. Blacksmith54

Blacksmith54
    from Phoenix AZ

Right now I am rebuilding the engine in my DT360 so I can move my shop out to Galveston TX and as I was cleaning the cam i found the lifter are shotso I am going to have to find a new one tomorrow. I was planing to make a couple of extras for friends around here. Before I leave for Texas

26. 46Chief

46Chief

Nice and looks like it would be very functional and steady. Make one for a flathead and I'm in.

27. Blacksmith54

Blacksmith54
    from Phoenix AZ

the hardest part of getting one of these moved around is shipping as it does not break down for shipping as this one is made at a shop rate of $50 an hour with a material cost around $110 including the castors and a can of spray paint. my not so sharp pencil says break even is about $280.00. For engines I have not delt with or don't have access to easily we can find someone where I can get a paper pattern from and make mounts from. I am working on a somewhat universal mount system so it doe not have to e made to each engine.:cool: