Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody have an interesting way to start your engine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by killa fab, Sep 29, 2011.

1. killa fab

killa fab

Like custom switches, or crazy lever set ups to push a plunger switch or something? im thinking of using a small beer tap handle with a lever system to push a plunger switch to activate the starter on my 46 Dodge with bigblock chevy in it.
    Anybody have anything out of the ordinary?

2. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Momentary contact toggle to start the old OT Jeep

3. Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

Does twisted wires under the dash and arcing the starter under the hood count?

4. HopFrog

HopFrog
    from no where

After catching someone trying to jimmy the door on my '65 GTO at the Occupational Center (1979), I mounted a Bosh relay under the hood and ran a signal wire to a second headlight dimmer switch on the floor (yes, that means I had to step on the switch twice). If someone was looking, I would turn the key as I stepped on the dimmer switch. The key switch functioned normally except the start circuit which I buried so no one could figure out how to start it. It's not impossible to start the car set up this way, but it sure messes with their head when the signal is dead at the starter lol.

If they got passed that, they would have a little problem with the other device. I put a wire to a toggle that grounded the negative wire of the coil, rendering the primary circuit useless!

Ahhh, the days of points and condensers! hehehe

5. 69fury

69fury

chrome momentary push button (boat horn button) for the starter and toggled ignition on my last ride, but i want something different this time around.

not sure about the ig/start but there's a spot on the roll bar right behind my helmet that would be perfect for a nitrous button lol... if she's hooked up good enough to plant my noggin, let's see what an extra 150 will do:D

rick

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can understand some of the other kill switches and what not, but all these levers and shit?? Sounds like it belongs on a R-word rod.

Doc.

7. killa fab

killa fab

Well ive been thinking of a simple lever that pushes a momentary switch behind the dash. Its my old hot rod im building, you can call it what you want, its not just whatever i find laying around and throw on it though.

This is it at stages,it has white walls on it now, and the beer is gone!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

If you were to get into my Tudor, you wouldnt see any switches..no ignition switch, no headlight switch..

yet , you need the key..and all the lights work and can be turned on and off

thats all im saying:cool:;)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  9. With the 56 T Bird, First you find the battery charger, cuz it's usually dead. Then put the automatic shifter in neutral, since some genius at Ford thought it shouldn't start in Park, only neutral. Turn the key. Wait for the battery charger to catch up. Swear a bit and stick out your tongue just so. Start to get out, and the car rolls over your foot because it's in neutral. Put it back in park, Open the hood. Take the air cleaner off and squirt some gas in the silly T Pot carb. Get back in the car, put it back in neutral and try again. Get back out because you squirted too much gas and now it's flooded. Kick the cat out of the way and yell at the dog. Tell the wife "we're not taking your Fucking T Bird because it won't start again cuz you never drive it."
    Get in the 29 RPU, turn the key and go for a drive.

10. Zykotec

Zykotec

I've had a couple of OT cars with EFI'd Pintos that you could start by kicking the car backwards through the open drivers door, while in gear ,when the battery was dead. Does that count?
    (doesn't work very well unless on a flat surface, and with a warm engine :p )

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A pushbutton under the dash is pretty easy to find as the guys at the tire store never have trouble starting my ot truck. The tap handle is a bit too RR for my tastes but having at least one and maybe two extra steps involved in starting the vehicle is a pretty good idea to keep the jump in and run thieves at bay.

An inline pushbutton in the starter circuit so that you have to push the button while hitting the key. A relay or toggle switch in the main feed to the fuse block that will cut off all power to the inside of the car. The relay could be run by a small gage wire off the battery to a toggle switch and back to the battery. I got that idea the other day when the main feed wire corroded through right at the corner of the battery.

Basically anything simple that you can do from the drivers seat that requires more than one step or requires both hands and or a foot at the same time. It also keeps rugrats and friends and family members from accidentally turning the starter on at inopportune times. The main thing is that the person riding with you should be oblivious to the moves you make to start the car. As far as they are concerned you just hit the key and it went.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn it Hotroddin I just hurt myself laughing at your post #10 there.

13. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

I though hotrods were supposed to be simple.

Not filled with Rube Goldberg crap.

Shawn

14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Always install a relay with hidden switch that kills the car as well as a nother hidden starter button--have done 8 this way--many have gone down the road--once in a while someone will call and tell me the car won't start--they forgot the hidden feature--wife knows the drill on them and can always fire em up if I'm not available-BUT nothing will stop a pro with a tilt bed.

15. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

I have one push switch on my dash on my 36 truck it says start and it is actually hooked up to the Train Horn

16. Lucky3

Lucky3

Got a similar arrangement. Just something to confuse the Punk Ass Kid (PAK) trying to steal my shit. But a rollback will still get the job done !

17. I had one I used to have to use a sort of permanent hotwire deal I rigged under the dash after the switch quit cranking the motor. Sometimes you had to open the hood and use a jumper cable to the starter. Eventually had to take the starter out, file down the plate on the solenoid connection, and put it back. At some point I finally put a new solenoid on.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have to lean to the right and fart to start my 61 Dodge.

19. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

pull type solenoid mounted on firewall with a pull choke cable ran to it - turn key on, pull choke, motor starts

20. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Adapt an aircraft inertia starter.
    You will drive them crazy at the drive-in.
    They sound neat while winding up.

There are also starters that use a 12 gauge shotgun shell.
    Check your local laws before using this one.

21. Smokey2

Smokey2

TRY THE oLD gIT sMAet RULe

\Back the Neighbors auto uo To WhAr The exhaust line-up. COMnect tha two pIPes TOgettER........Let Nieghbors exit-aust WArm Yourine, Then haVE The Old Lady Turn tHA' CraNK In FROntm Giver "a LiTTle sPark, And Sum gAS...........OH, don't FERgIt tO OPEn the GeraGE Door.........CausE Tha' Old LAdY's
    DEO Ahy' STAnDin up fROnt !!!

GOD BLESS "Heatherns"{ SMOKE':p

22. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

put the key in and turn it

23. Jack60

Jack60
    from Maryland

My 39 Ford had a stainless steel dash with 9 toggle switch's that had to be set in a certain order to start her and keep her running..
    And a 8 track in the dash..............

[​IMG]

24. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

If you can find one, at one time (early 70s) Ford had a steering wheel that you squeezed to operate the horn (stupid idea!), adapt that steering wheel to the starter circuit Turn key on, squeeze steering wheel and vroooom! Who would even see how you started the car? You could always add a wireless remote starter.

Call all these ideas what you like, but I like the idea of having my car take just a minute longer than the next guys car to steal. Once you loose a car to a thief (me, 2 cars 66 DeVille ragtop and a 72 Coupe DeVille) you will appreciate how much a few more seconds will cause the thief to move on.

25. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

^ A guy with an amphicar calls something a "stupid idea" :)

26. carbking

carbking

Once had an older English car that burned out the "start" portion of the ignition switch. Turn the key to "on", get the crank out of the boot, and start the engine with the crank.

I finally fixed the switch when I sold the car.

Jon.

27. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

What the hell is wrong with you? Are you having a stroke?

28. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

How many people have offered to pay you for a ride in your car? I have turned down as much as a $100. Not so stupid now eh!? ;) ;) :eek: :p

I have met 2 girlfriends because of it to... wait they are ex now... umm nevermind. :rolleyes:

29. false front radio face plate. third button turned on the electrical system, fifth button activated fuel pump, first button activated starter. all this only worked if you remembered to turn the gas cap on the fender to the right so the battery cut off switch was in the open mode. this last sequence was usually remembered AFTER you had climbed in thru the 12 point roll cage.
    key, complete with ring and fob, was soldered to ignition switch. switch operated properly, just didn't have anything hooked to it.

30. heatmiser

heatmiser
    from mia

wait, your argument against stupidity is that you've turned down $100 for a ride?