Register now to get rid of these ads!

help with rear suspention

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lifesAgass, May 21, 2005.

1. lifesAgass

lifesAgass

I need help setting up my rear susp, on my 57 gasser so i can race and drive it on the street, right now it has leafs with the axle under the spring does any one have any suggestions for me

2. BigDdy31

BigDdy31

LOL Yeah, but I'll limit it to this:

Please go to the Intro area and do an intro so that we know who you are and what you're all about. It's nice to get to know that new folks.

Then post this question on the HAMB where it belongs and I'm sure someone will help you out.

3. Chewie

Chewie

Not my car, but you asked. I'd ditch the spring over and go coils/ladder set up.

Also, do a search for gasser or suspension on here and should get quite a few ideas and pics.

4. DrJ

DrJ

I remember going home from high school one day in '65 seeing the local jacked-up beam axled '57 Chevy trying to make a right turn.
    He had to go slower than walking speed, slower than the lowriders who drove in the gutter to avoid the dip caused by the intersecting road crowns, and he kept correcting when the car felt like it was tipping over...And it DID look like it wanted to tip over in the turn!

They look KOOOOOL....! But suck for anything but straight line racing.

You might try restraint straps like some live axle sportscars ran (My MGB GT has them on the rear so it can't roll too far) or shorter shocks so the axle can't extend too far away from the body on leans, but that would defeat the racing launch weight transfer bias of the design for racing.

5. brandon

brandon

They look KOOOOOL....! But suck for anything but straight line racing.

i have long box tube ladder bars...they attach to the trans crossmember...both pieces were built in 64.....with coil overs.....used a wishbone locator......has hairpins up front...with a cross spring from a t bucket....i drive it thru the curves like i drive my 47 ford with mustang 2 suspension ....has a flaming rivers box ...and the drag links are pretty close to being parrallel to the ground.....might have 7 to 8 degrees of caster.....

6. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My old Henry had plain old stock leaf springs with $19.99 slapper bars. Worked great.

I can't comment on the car that Dr. J saw, but my old heap handled VERY well and drove with confidence.

Good luck, -Abone.