Register now to get rid of these ads!

electrical brainfart

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hankthebigdog, Sep 28, 2011.

1. hankthebigdog

hankthebigdog
    from oklahoma

:(I am having a prob with a starter/solenoid, ? I get a click on the small block chevy starter sometimes, but not all of the time. Sometimes I have to try it 3,4,5... times and other times it stsarts like a champ. Hot or cold makes no difference. the starter and solonoid are nearly new5 months or so. [permanant magnet little one] I replaced the key switch and have traced all of my wires and found all looks good. does a solenoid do this? help an old, mentally challanged rodder figure this one. thanks

2. grounds grounds
    clean all connections of rust and new painrt electrical must all touch metal surfaces not just bolts and threads.
    dash to body starter to engine too
    add another ground strap from engine to frame
    and complete the circuit

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

traced all you wires with what? voltmeter I hope. that's what I would do.

^^^^^... yeah, grounds.

4. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

bad segment on the armature

5. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

I agree with RugBlaster.

6. hankthebigdog

hankthebigdog
    from oklahoma

how do I test the armature?

7. RDR

RDR

could the starter need another shim?...possibly too tight to the ring gear?.....

8. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

find you a alternator/starter shop that has a "growler" to test the armature.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The most common problem causing this is dirty battery terminals. Before any open heart surgery check and wire brush all of the connections in the battery cables both pos and neg. I hope the ground cable is connected directly to the block or something directly bolted to the block. Any connection in the battery cable loop can cause this problem. The starter motor was only about 40 bucks then but....

I layed on the macadam in 15 degree weather changing my perfectly good starter motor only to find out that the battery terminals needed to be cleaned. That has a way of sticking in your brain 40 years later. This was a common service provided with a tuneup back in the day.

10. You think maybe the copper washer in the solenoide needs to be turned around ? Jus a thought.

11. ... so do you have a nice afro now? :)

12. Mudgy

Mudgy

Starter motor solenoids have 2 x windings
    1 is the pull in winding, which finds its ground through the brushes + armature (high amp draw winding
    Once the pull in winding closes the bus bar/plunger to get battery power on the brushes, the hold in winding takes over. this one goes from start terminal to ground. Without the hold in winding, the solenoid would chatter - you see, once the plunger engages, there is + on the brushes now (no more ground, so how can the plunger stay in with 2 x positives at each side?)

Maybe the holding winding could be crook?

Otherwise, reduction starters had a problem with the big copper contacts...if they're not even, the plunger will pull in, but both contacts are not always bridged rightly by the plunger. (the batt side contact wears out faster than the motor side one)

1. test solenoid windings
    2. check plunger + contacts
    3. check brushes + armature

only do this after you've made sure all battery cables + connections are clean + tight first.

13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I was going to suggest that but he said "small starter" not stock, I've never had one of those solenoids apart...............but that's where I would start.

14. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

the part where it starts like a champ, then sometimes, click, click, click, start makes me think one of the brushes is occasionally landing on a bad segment on the armature.

If it were a bad connection at the battery cables, or anywhere in between, it would be a bad connection all the time. But not always. (bet hedging)

15. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

Had that solenoid problem myself before , bought a starter , no more problems.

16. It could be a bad connection, but those have been more of a constant and not a once in a while thing from my experience. I would just clean up everything as others have suggested as a good practice. Do the free stuff first.

In the past, when I had a similar problem, I'd give the starter case a whack with a hammer and most of the time it would start. As a permanent solution, I'd pull the starter and have it checked by an auto-electric shop.

Bob

17. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Is it a Nippon Denso type ministarter? If so check the contacts and plunger in the solenoid. Be sure the contacts sit flat and that the plunger slides freely. Remember new doesn't always = good.

18. Starter alignment fixed my intermitent starting.

19. hankthebigdog

hankthebigdog
    from oklahoma

gonna pull it and find a starter man asap. thanks for the info.

20. Mudgy

Mudgy

whacking old shunt field starters was ok just to get you going that one last time...a whack to get it working meant you were out of brushes.
    NEVER whack a permanent magnet field starter...you can bust the magnets, and sieze the armature, thereby frying your cables. BAD idea.