Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 85hp flathead idle issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fltnlow, Sep 28, 2011.

1. fltnlow

fltnlow
    from Burbank

My 1936 (stock engine) tudor is having some idling issues.

I was driving it home one day and it died out of nowhere like it ran out of fuel.

I put 5 gallons in it and got it started back up, but it was obviously low on power. Got it back home, cleaned up the plugs (thought i soaked them trying to get it started back up), charged the battery and started it back up.

Since then its been having issues idling, but if I keep the RPMs up its fine. Because of this, I started by replacing the condensor since I dont want to mess w/ the distributor if I dont have to

It sounds like there may be a small miss at higher RPM, but its hard to tell.

Any help would be appreciated since I have next to no experience w/ these.

2. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Well, I'll take a stab at it.

Coil and fuel delivery. Coil might be bad and once hot, dogs out. A Skip coil rebuild or a full bubba dizzy rebuild.

The dizzys are really simple, but can be a bear to get out. Pull it out, clean points, and check it out.

Fuel, do you have an air leak? Pump up to snuff?

Sudden failure after driving for a time is suspect of a coil or condenser problem.

Forgot to add the miss maybe do to a stuck valve. Run it for a while it may work it's self back if not burnt.

My 2cents....

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  3. fltnlow

fltnlow
    from Burbank

Thanks!

It's seemed to get slightly better after running for awhile.

Going to check the plugs again in the am and go from there...