Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT/How many HAMBers play music?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chili Phil, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Don't play but I love to listen to Marilyn Mansion.:confused::eek:

2. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

All in middle school, I played the trumpet, and was pretty good I must say. When I got to high school in 2010, I never picked up band. Just in the last few weeks I learned how to play the first riff of a Hank Williams Jr. Song on guitar. Shoot, I've got 4 guitars and never knew how to play, so I figured I should.

I forgot, I also like to pick at what I call, "A one stringed banjo" which is just what it says. Made out of pine, smaller than a yard stick (maybe about that size) and sounds just like a banjo. It's awesome if your not coordinated enough to switch strings/chords/notes, etc.

-Cody

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  3. Camel

Camel
    from oroville

I had a 73 Strat but my sixteen year old plays so much I gave it to him. Now he's buggin me for A Marshall Stack. Right now I'm playing classic rock on a Taylor acoustic 810 CE Ltd. Oh yeah the kid, he also talked me out of a Model A coupe. The deal is good grades and no drugs and he knows he can have pretty much any of my stuff.

4. Cigar Box 3 string sounds real ugly coming from my barn most weekends , sounds even better after i have been drinking home brew"" OOh Yeah

5. I've played drums since '83....ten years longer than I've been playing with these old cars...

6. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

7. lexington

lexington

6string guitar bass guitar, keyboard,4 string banjo and still trying to learn 5 string banjo bluegrass style. Ilike to play old rock and country

8. Rah Rah Records

Rah Rah Records

I play theremin, bass, a little guitar(badly) a lot of homemade instruments/modified toys, etc. I make my own records too.

9. old me

old me
    from Iowa

Played bass (Gibson EB2 with a Vox Super Beatle) when I was in high school back in the Byrds, Beatles, and on to Hendrix, Led Zepplin, etc. days-rather than working all week stocking shelves or selling burgers, we'd play Friday and Saturday nights and an occasional Sunday night, and make more money than my buddies that worked all week after school.
    Paid for my equipment and bought my first car with the proceeds.
    Currently pick away on a Les Paul Studio.

10. dueceofspades

dueceofspades

Had a place in a near by town called Back When. It was a place for guys to bring thier cars and talk, sorta' like here but face to face. Had work bench to lean on with old magazines and car parts all over. In the main room we had tables and chairs with 60's music playing. On Thursday night, we had pickers night. I was surprised how many car guys could play. Saw Martins, Gibsons, Yamahas, and Takamins also bass's, stand up bass's, banjo's, steels, and mandolins. But most important of all was the players and the music they made. Had the store about 6 months , then closed it because we were losing money hand over fist, but my wife and I had a lot of fun while it lasted.

11. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

I had a Marshall JCM800 100 watt head with a straight and slant cabinet (in caramel :D) , I know how loud they get , my advice is do not I repeat do not give this to a 16 year old . I traded my first car '68 Firebird for a 200w Sunn Concert Lead , I was 16 then , A volume control is like a gas pedal to a kid , it will live on 11 :) just mho

12. I play guitar and sing and have been doing it for 38 years. Played in a band up in Vancouver BC and then moved to Seattle area and just got busy working in construction and just dabble with my guitars. We have a Jam night every few months and play for about 5 hours!!! My fingers hurt for a week!! LOL!!!
    Here's a picture of my Great grandmother in the Vancouver orchestra. She made her living and raised 2 girls by herself by playing first string violin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had the Hammond organ for a few years with the Leslie speaker and talk about killer sound!! It took up too much room and I sold it for cheap to a fellow Hotrodder.

The Yamaha Amp is a late 60s amp thats 130Watts with 2 12" speakers and the real cool factor is that it is leather covered by the factory. It has the old spring reverb, tremello and 4 inputs. It cranks!!!!!!
    When I really want loud, its the JMP 100Super leadII from 1974. No effects, just raw power. The person before me bridged the two channels internally and created a gain. I like to use my wireless and crank it to about 7 which rattles crap off my shelves in the house and I stand out on my street and let it rip!!!! Its really too big for jamming in my house, its just way too loud!!
    The guitars are a 1965 Fender Jaguar that I bout in 1978, 2 Gibson customs, a Fender Strat, a couple ovations, a Samick that actually sounds really cool and jazzy, a Squire Bass, a Takamini classical from the mid 70s.
    I just bought a killer Tone bender Fuzz pedal at a garage sale for 40 bucks and its the first gen from London England . It sounds way cool!!!!!!!!!
    I just bought an electric ovation mandolin that I needed to fix the bridge and re-enforce the sound board but for $40 it sounds like a million buchks now.
    I also just bought a mint Fender Squire that I picked up at a garage sale for $40 and I cant believe how well this guitar sounds.

The piano in the background is a mint Stienway square grand that I got given to me and it was built in 1881.

It was cool playing guitar when I was younger as it gave me something to do when I was bored. I love just grabbing one of the acoustics and bringing it outside and strumming in the sun!!!.

13. hotcargo

hotcargo

Yep , come from a family of muso's , started bass when i was 10 , been a freelance bass player for over 50 years here in Australia , lots of instruments and rigs over the years but now , I have my German upright 4 string double bass , Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 , playing thru Ashdown Engineering EvoII 500 watt head and Genz Benz 4 x 10 bin , play session studio , live , freelance etc

sickles , cars and playin' music ......cant get much better than that !!

cheers

Steve in Oz

14. Jack60

Jack60
    from Maryland

My future son in-law is in a band, Redwud, They are pretty good, if you are in PA or Maryland and they are playing, check them out...:D

15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I played bass for about 20 years, had a Univox, Gibson EB-0 and the last was a Wasburn XXS4, did mostly hard rock & metal. I can probably still fumble my way through some Rush, Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden. Sure miss those days, but not the hangovers! :D

16. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

Hand percussionist,harmonica,vocals.

Attached Files:

17. I'm the guitarist for The Legendary Hucklebucks

18. Played beginner- fun drums today- my pal played slide on Donmo resonator. We both sing. We did under over sideways down, Mannish Boy & Bo- Diddley.

19. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Taylor GC3 steel string and a Alhambra 7FC Cwe5 Nylon String. I am about a 100 lessons away from having a clue! Saving for a Collings I 35LC, love the look and sound, Bill Collings is a dyed in the wool hot rodder to boot.

Frustrating instruments sometimes but I love it and wished I had taken it up long before these old hands stopped working right.

Neat thread. Keep playing folks, I think (hope) it keeps your mind working.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  20. hartman601

hartman601
    from Tulsa, OK

I play guitar...

tele
    parker fly
    hardtail custom strat (painted to match my truck)
    martin acoustic

thru....
    peavey delta blues
    vox

Keep some bongos around in case anyone wants to keeps time while I play. I'm a progressing intermediate player my instructor tells me. A Collings set is on my wish list.

21. UVTMike

UVTMike
    from Hershey PA

Bass player here, 73 P-bass, Music Man HH, several Warwicks and Spector 5 string all through Ampeg SVT Pro 4 and Boogie cabinets.

Been doing it over 30 years and still play out 3-4 times a month. Doing the hair/metal stuff, a few originals, and some of the newer stuff on the radio.

22. I'm actually in the music business professionally. I toured for years (drums), and ended up in Nashville working as a recording engineer for most of the major labels. (Alan Jackson, George Jones, Kenny Rogers, Terri Clark, etc..)

Have my own recording studio now in southern TN, that's where all the good car parts come from :)

23. Slaytanica

Slaytanica

I play Gat, Bass and drums. I like the heavy stuff, real heavy stuff.

I have one epiphone goldie coloured Korina Flying V that i Hotrodded buy putting an EMG pickup in the bridge

and 3 Dean guitars,
    a Dave Mustaine (Megadeth) Sig Flying V
    a Mike Amott (Arch Enemy) Bloodstorm Sig Flying V
    and a Dimebag Darrell (Pantera) ML with the Dimebucker Pickup
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Deuces

Deuces

25. Bass Player magazine just voted me - " WORST PLAYER of the YEAR ", my 4 string rig is from Peavy. TR

26. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bringn' this old one up from the grave...just cuz 2nd to hot rods, I love LIVE rocknroll. I'm no musician but I've been banging around my 1965 Slingerland blue sparkles since they were new. Ain't gonna hold a candle to Edell ( check out post #271 ! ) Besides nice revin' V8 rpm's I live for them rockn' sounds!!

27. 53choptop

53choptop

There is some absolutely cool stuff on here, it just goes to show how much music is a part of the car culture. Speaking of culture, I play the accordion, more of the Conjunto style, its a culmination of San Antonio and South Texas style of folk and polka style music.

Attached Files:

Saxman likes this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've been known to piss off the neighbors every now and then when I'm in the shop.
    Love me some A.C./D.C. or that little o'l band from Texas.

29. aircap

aircap

Played bass and guitar in bands for decades.... but because my arthritis is getting worse, I now play mandocello.

30. 1pickup

1pickup

1pickup - that's a guitar reference. '59 Fender Esquire. Don't really play that one much anymore since I found out what it's worth! Some of the others off the top of my head: Gretsch hollowbody "Jimmy C" pinstriped edition, Fender T-bucket acoustic/electric, Epiphone "AirScreamer" looks like an Airstream trailer, a couple of Sears Silvertones with the amp in case, several Kays from the 60's - love the foil headstock, others I can't remember at the moment. Got a couple of Kay mandolins with the foil headstock, & a Kentucky F-style mando. Some Honer Harmonicas. Been the frontman in a couple bands. Latest was 4 years ago - the deVillebillies. Played alt.country/Honky-Tonk/Americana/rock-a-billy covers & originals Recorded 1 CD. Got some worldwide airplay. That's pretty much meaningless, as it doesn't really pay anything. Trying to put together a new 4 piece to just have some fun with. No touring, no drama, just good tunes & a couple beers.