Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Speedometer Service Co in Tulsa, OK

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike in Tulsa, May 6, 2011.

1. I thought I'd share a few pics I took today while having my speedometer calibrated. Living only a few blocks from downtown Tulsa, OK and the world's famous Route 66, I am fortunate enough to experience some of the few 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd generation small family businesses that still survive here. The Speedometer Service Co. started in 1948 in downtown Tulsa. In 1965 they opened a new shop in an existing service station on 11th Street - Route 66. The owner, Stephen, started working here with his Dad when he was 13 years old and still operates the business part time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. This is the way they calibrated speedometers back then and this is how he does it now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Not sure where you would ever find one of these...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Somebody is going to die!!

That is unbelieveably STUPID!

Get some blocks under the front of that truck PRONTO.

I remember a jack that popped, sprayed fluid everywhere and was lowered INSTANTLY.
    I was NOT under that car but it happens that fast

5. Random pics of the abandoned building next door. The roof is caving in and the pigeons have kinda taken over but there's some neat machinery that was left behind...

Taken through the glass...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

First of all that is really cool that the business has survived all of these years! I love the fact that it's been operated out of the same place since '65 and that he still uses the old set-up. As far as safety goes, he's out of his mind working under vehicles, especially running! In this day and age that has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

7. Attempt at a video...

[​IMG]

8. He wasn't under the truck while it was running but I have to agree with you!

9. ryno

ryno

that awesome that they have been in business for so long and still doing speciality work, but damn hes a stunt man, truck up on a jack with a 2x4 under the x member and no jack stands!

10. ryno

ryno

guess im a little to slow.....

11. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

So Mike, does the speedo work now?

12. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Thats great to know, thanks for sharing.
    The guy needs some jackstands thou,
    I will go there next time i'm in Tulsa.

Taildragger&fenderless

13. It's right on the money!

14. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

I have to agree this about Speedometer service I've been using his work since I first got a car in the late 60's. Just last summer he did work for me again on my bird. He has also fixed several mechanical tachs for me over the years. And all was perfect. He's been there all this long time but I keep thinking one of these days I'm going be driving by and … well times change.

15. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Maybe you should delete that picture of the guy under the truck before some of these guy's die of a heart attack.

16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

perfect!

17. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I enjoy the story mike and it not really my business if he uses jack stands although I would. Free country.

18. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Thanks Mike for this thread. I've seen that building a hundred times and had no idea they were still in business.

19. papas 32

papas 32

Wish we all could just step back in time when life was simply getting your car fixed didn't cost an arm and a leg and a hand shake ment something. Thank you for sharing this will check the place out when i come through i need my speedometer worked on.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

20. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

HI Mike, I walked by you pickup yesterday at the car show and didn't realize it was yours till I reread this post this morning and put the two together. Anyway Nice old truck may meet up with you sometime around Tulsa. Small world. I sometimes drive this.

[​IMG]

21. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I grew up in the area of 11th and Harvard. They did the speedometer for my '53 F-100 with a 327 Chevy/Turbo 400 combo back in the 70s. Kool that they're still carrying on.

22. Sorry I missed you. Always like to visit with fellow HAMBer's.