Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hilborn Fuel Injection Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by busted49ford, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Andrew Starr

Andrew Starr

Thanks for the info Smokey. It is always a pleasure to talk to you. When I get back to PRI I'll get shoot Ryan an email...thanks for the tip. Talk to you soon....Andy

2. turdytoo

turdytoo

I never saw it being driven but I stared at pics of Ivo's injected Buick for most of my teenage years. How'd he makem work?

3. Hey Andy Starr: Thanks for getting on the HAMB and for taking the time to provide some facts and clarify how Hilborn looks at MFI on the street. The more people know about the fundamentals the better for everybody.

I've seen guys pay many thousands of $$$ for a MFI that "should work fine on the street" - only to find out that overall driveability was poor. Then they spend another $5,000 - $6,000 (plus tuning) buying another Injector that "looks MFI", but was converted to EFI . . . finally to have an injector that runs as they desired.

It would be cool of you guys became an Alliance vendor - works out well for everybody and is a great way to keep plugged into a bunch of people who are passionate about hot rods.

As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing like a 4-Port Hilborn on a blower . . . just looks the way a traditional top-fuel engine should. (Okay, now I pissed off the barndoor boys - yikes!)

4. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

8thgradegenius drove his blown 4 port Hilborn gas set up on the street for a while until head gasket and valve train issues killed the motor.
    St. Joe Miss. to Leavenworth Kansas once and from St Joe Mo. to Osborne Mo. to race and drive home several times with no real issues until he tried to drive it and stood on it on pump gas one time and the detonation did it in.
    I still wouldn't recomend it for the average or even many above average Joes.
    But.......it is an intriguing notion.
    The early Audi and Volvo K or L jetronic (I can't recall for sure)injection systems used engine vacuum to raise and lower a pintle valve in a distribution head to control fuel flow to the nozzles.
    I have often thought that a device similar to that to control return on a mechanical system might make streetable MFI a more doable deal.
    It's been food for speculation for me anyway.

5. yekoms

yekoms

I guess that the early Rochester/Corvette,and Bosch mechanical injection systems were pretty close to gettin' it right for the technology that was of that time.
    An old Rochester unit converted to EFI would be nice.
    Not as snice as a four port on a blower though....Smokey

6. garbely1

garbely1
    from Vermont

I would be interested in the 1986 issue of hot rod magazine - referring to modifing the hiborn 4 port for street use

Joe Garbely

7. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

All these post's and explanations, but it comes down to one simply fact--- Mech fuel injection doesnt have an ACCELERATOR PUMP!!. Every carb out there has one and a FI unit is just a very simple carb that uses presure instead of vacuum to distribute fuel. With gas since it burns as a vapor one needs to ajust very FAT on the bottom to get that extra shot, but the problem lies in transition from fat to part throttle. When running fuel (alchohol) , it burns as a liqiud and to a point can be fat during tranistion without any effects untill the checks take over the fuel curve to lean it out.

8. alkydigger

alkydigger
    from nashville

I keep a new 392 unit in stock. We can make them streetable enough for 1000 miles a year or so driving as long as you can put up with a choppy mid range. Starting is good, Idle is rich but ok...
    WWW.Alkydigger.com Mike
    615-483-6830
    "Hilborn's Largest Dealer on East Coast "

9. alkydigger

alkydigger
    from nashville

I keep one of the 4 holes in stock ..... w polished or unpolished scoop....
    Call me sometime

Mike Chilando 615-483-6830
    WWW.Alkydigger.com

Also sell EFI Factory Hilborns and All Enderle Stuff

10. farmer12

farmer12

I love the look of the Hilborn setup, but wasn't too keen on all the adjustments of a mechanical setup on my 392. So I went with EFI. Not a cheap option, but should worth it in the long run. Good luck in deciding.

Attached Files:

11. garbely1

garbely1
    from Vermont

I have the 86 sept issue of hotrod mag article on hilborn injection for the street - free to whoever wants it - send me your address - [email protected]

12. ardyboy

ardyboy

Welcome aboard Mike(Alkydigger). I was going to suggest you to this thread.

13. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Its been beaten to death here, but I do it. There are alot of modifactions needed and alot of tuning requried but yes it can and is being done.
    I totaly agree with Andy and Mike is one of the best out there(we havent met yet, just on the phone.
    Briefly, there is no mid range to relly speek about. I have a clutch so I simply get going(3/4 throttle) and it will run 50-60 mph no problem at all.
    High Idle will cruse at 25-30 mph in 5th gear...no problem
    As someone stated there is no acclerater pump so gradual throttle is out the door.
    I can drive 1 or 300 miles just have to drive different than a carb
    [​IMG]
    The artical [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lets ride, click on pictures [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ur2slow likes this.
  14. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

In the last veido you can see how we get rpms up quick and no problems cruzin the street.........By the way it is a crower fuel inj unit

15. 408 AA/D

408 AA/D

If you remove the spool from the barrell valve and look at the slot in the spool you will see why they don't perform well on the street. As stated earlier idle and W.O.T, the slot tells the story.