Register now to get rid of these ads!

How does a guy keep up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Danburnsart, Sep 27, 2011.

1. plan9

plan9

pick one project, and get rid of everything else.

there is really nothing else you can do to remedy the situation!

2. Cerberus

Cerberus

Learned after having five cars to complete, I was spreading myself to thin. Nothing got completed. Got rid of all of them but the one I liked the most. From now on, I tackle one car at a time. My biggest motivator is to set a completion time and stick to it. You have to make the time so you are going forward and making progress. If there is no passion, there is no energy. No energy equals nothing gets done.

3. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Was in that situation until a month ago.3 project cars,no car to enjoy and not doing much to any of them.
    I took a step back and looked at the projects and said to myself.Which one would I enjoy the most? Decided none of them.Sold 2 and the last has 2 interested parties.
    It all came down to I like '55 Chevys.My neck snaps around when one goes by or I spot one somewhere.All my buddies kept hammering at me to lose the projects and get another '55.
    I bought 2 cars...both projects ...but my enthusiasm is stronger than ever.I will be driving one next year.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Ive found it is best to waive a big wad of money around until you have all the tools and parts. Buy everything, even if you dont need it for one of the next 5 projects, and lastly spend every non working, non sleeping hour in the shop.

Also put a .38 round through your television- it may be the smartest thing youve ever done

5. desotot

desotot

I had started a few projects, collecting parts for some,working on others now and then, I realized I was getting nowhere, so I kicked back and took stock of what was going on and realized not one of the projects I had was what I wanted most, so I sold what I could ,swapped what I could for what was more saleable, and got what I really wanted, now I can focus the money and my time on what turns my crank. This worked for me.

6. I do at least one thing a day. lot's of small projects or steps ad up quickly.

7. That sentence tells everything!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  8. racerjohnson

racerjohnson
    from Fargo, ND

The concensus seems to be to focus on one project and sell everything. Sounds like good advice as I watch people go nowhere but always seeking the next project (including me?)

Just like Hitchhiker above, a wise(ass) member of my club who builds beautiful cars quicker than most suggested to just do one little thing at a time, and do them wherever and whenever you can (as he was displaying the centercaps he sanded and polished in his hotel room while on a weekend business trip). Thanks for sharing your wisdom guys.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  9. Hot Rod Dirty's

Hot Rod Dirty's
    from KY

I feel ya, I feel like a candle burning at both ends...

10. this is how i do it. even if the project is small i try to do something every day so by the time the weekend comes i have at least 5 things done.

11. 383 240z

383 240z

Here is how I keep seeing forward progress on mine.

First thing I did was CLEAN MY SHOP!!!! I got so sick of tripping over house stuff, garden stuff ect. Put ALL the tools away and keep it that way. If it is a bother to start the job there is about 50% your never going to get it done. If the shop is a pleasing place to be you WILL spend more time there, Keep it well lit as well.

Next up I banished all of my other projects from the shop, I have one hidden in a hanger at the local airport (nothing special just a little hanger me and 2 buddies rent and split costs us each $30 a month) another is squirrled away at my fathers place in his barn.

And here is the one that helps me the most. I had to leave for work at 10:30am, I got up at 6 and went to the shop. I had quiet time, no wife no cell phones, just my project, my music, my tools and me. Shit got done!! Now I have to be there at 9:00, that means leave at 8. no more mornings, But I get weekends off now. Sat, I spend with the wife, and working around the house. (you gotta keep balance!!!) However Sunday, I take her to breakfast, and she knows not to expect me in, until well after dinner time.

others have talked about lists, I am I big fan of them, I have 2 great big ones in the shop. They are cheap at stores like Big Lots and Costco WalMart, One for the little jobs I need to reach a milestone. all the little parts that equal fuel system, all the little parts that mean engine install. The other Whiteboard is for parts I need to buy, both local and catolog, listed by job. However I am the kind of guy who will buy fuel line, when I am supposed to be working on building window regulaters. Also I spend a little time on here in the morning to get my juices flowing and excited to work, I also spend about an hour each night after work in the shop, even if I get nothing done, I am figuring out how to finish what ever projects I have planned for that Sunday. Best of luck to you, Keith

12. darkk

darkk

I see posts like this on many auto related forums. No way could I work on a project for months or years. I usually plan out what I want it to look like finished. I beg,borrow,steal <--*not really steal* until I have all the parts I think I need. Then I take 2-3 weeks vacation and just do it. It's been quite a while since I've done a project, but my last street rod took me 10 days start to finish. That included motor rebuild, interior,clipped front sub frame,rear end and a custom paint job.

Attached Files:

13. cavera

cavera

Wow...I havent posted in awhile...and Im on the verve of starting a new project...so this have been really helpfull!!!!...Thanks,HAMB!!!
    Great posts!!!

14. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

darkk, Seriously? How can you get that much done in 2-3 weeks, let alone 10 days?

15. 383 240z

383 240z

Von don't you watch TV? They can go from junkyard to Ridler in 7 days, 2-3 weeks is a snails pace. Keith

16. banjorear

banjorear

Really? 2-3 weeks and working on your own?

Is that with or without being hopped up on crystal meth?

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife has never given a rip about what I spend on the project car as long as my share of the bills are paid on time and there is food in the house. Oh, and the important one, her car works without issues. For her the 48 and the 51 Merc when we had it meant that we got to go on road trips to interesting places when they were/are running.

Back to the original subject. Staying focused on getting one project done has seemed to be a big issue with me and now that I am older it is even more of an issue. I've got a yard full of projects that all need a lot of what limited time and funds I have. A daily driver that needs transaxle work, two vans that need to be put together and sold along with four rod or custom projects and don't forget the motorized bicycle for use as a runaround at Bonneville and other venues.

18. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have that same problem. I buy something that I know I will eventually need, but way before I'm ready for it. Sometimes by the time I need it, there's something better available. I don't recommend waiting to order parts until you have to have them, because then you spend too much time waiting on parts. But don't order them too far ahead (unless they are rare and you won't get another shot at them).

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Im also from the school of one project at a time, yes you can have many, but sink your teeth into one and sick with it, jumping around slows momentum and confuses the flow

also it was mentioned , doing something each day..no matter how small or seeminly insignificant, it all adds up.

and lastly..Keep your eye on the prize..( have a vision for what your after, and stick to it)

20. I go one step farther with the log book. I actually have two of them for each project. One is simply for parts- parts that I will have to purchase. This also helps keep track of the $$$$$$ spent/needed too. The other log book is for simply, things to do. Now lets say I'm going to make a bunch of spacers, this will go in the things to do but- I might have a entry in the parts log to purchase several feet of tubing. Bottom line is - what works for YOU. FWIW, the nice thing about the seperate log book for parts and $$$$$$$$, this book is also conveniently hidden from the wife if you know what I mean. :D TR

21. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

IMO, using lists 'can' suck bigtime. I used to leave my garage with more items the damn list than when I came in. And no, I don't break things. :rolleyes:
    With 7 projects, with 3 of them running, this list-administration can get out a hand pretty fast I tell you.

Besides, who says projects always have to get finished? :)

22. The old adage of "how do you eat an elephant?" ....one bite at a time:D:D:D

23. pistonhead

pistonhead
    from Chicago

real projects never end

24. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I agree with the idea of one project at a time. I also believe that you have to stay with it. No matter how hard it might be a times I always make sure that I do something every day....even if its the smallest of things.
    I read somewhere where the average build time for a hot rod / street rod is 7 years.

25. Danburnsart

Danburnsart
    from 59044

I think this is something that occured to me on my own 383 24z...in order to move forward I have to take some steps back, in a sense. I took a really good look at my shop, why its hard and discouraging to work in, and am now taking steps to make it more effective. It seems a bit like mental foreplay, but I feel better about where the shop is goin, and now have a plan to find a way to work on my projects. Thanks for the tip.

26. Danburnsart

Danburnsart
    from 59044

I agree, but at this point I'm try to find a way to begin!

27. pinman 39

pinman 39

This is supposed to be a hobby .If it isn't fun you are doing it wrong . I was doing it
    wrong for a long time .If you are forcing yourself into the shop you might as well have a second job.I enjoy going out into my garage even for a short time

Own what you enjoy and enjoy what you own .

28. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I agree 100%....then my medication will run out. Then Bam! Another project in the driveway. "Oh?" "and what's that you say..?". "A 57 chevy sitting in a field.!!!!..Great! "

29. I only get to work on my car on Saturdays, and occasionally on a Sunday. I've been picking away at it for over a year now, one Saturday at a time.

It will take as long as it takes.

30. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I don't start another car until the first one is finished. That way, I have something to drive until the next one is done. At one time I had 3 cars and it was a chore deciding which one to drive. Now with 2 cars, I trade off each week, which one to drive.