Register now to get rid of these ads!

***vintage sprint car guys....help***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Racersonly, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Racersonly

Racersonly
    from Arizona

Does this spindle look familure to anyone? Trying to figure out if it's an International spindle or Ford. I've ran the part # on the back of it but have came up empty handed. This goes on the Vintage Mickey Thompson off road Sprint car I posted a couple weeks ago....having a VERY hard time figuring this part out and who actually made it.

Part number reads: 83906HA (with some sort of symbol) 30
    Any idea's? If so, where can I get one. Thanks in advance. Rory

[​IMG]

2. It looks like the international spindle on my Clyde Booth Super Modified from thirty plus years ago.
    I would check the king pin inclination angle. If I remember correctly the Ford had a 9 degree angle and the international had a 7. I'm going from memory. It's been a long time.
    I would think this would be a good starting point.
    Good Luck Johnny Sweet

3. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Johnny is right about the angles.

You have an International spindle. I emailed you some pics and info. I can post them here later if needed.

Neil

4. Racersonly

Racersonly
    from Arizona

Any idea on a part number or year and model of the International? Neil, thanks for all the help so far........

5. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

my book didn't say anything specific about the spindle other than it was an International Harvester Truck. The ford version was off a 3/4 truck, so if IH made a truck around that size it would prabably be the one.

6. Racersonly

Racersonly
    from Arizona

Neil,

I think I found a spindle. It is an International Harvester spindle, possibly 1950's model. I have a contact number for the guy with lots of parts for IH stuff, i'm sure a lot of vintage sprint car guys are using them too. If you need the number you can PM me for it or e-mail. I know a lot of the old timers on here hate when people give away to the masses their secret stash stores....LOL.

7. Graham08

Graham08

Three easy ways to tell the two apart:

1. International kingpins are 0.988" in diameter, while the Ford Econoline spindles used on sprint cars are 0.859".

2. The bolt holes in the four "ears" are 5/8" for International, 1/2" for Ford.

3. The spindle nut on an International spindle is 7/8"-14 and takes a 1-5/16" socket. The spindle nut on a Ford spindle is 3/4"-16, and takes a 1-1/8" socket.

8. Rory Graham is rite on the money. These spindles should not be hard to find. The guys are still building Super Modifieds and there using these type spindles in there new cars. You may want to do a Goggle and find some of the Super Modified guys that are building cars. They might be able to put you onto a place that sells this type of equipment/parts.
    Good Luck, and have fun.
    Johnny Sweet

9. Graham08

Graham08

Most of the supermodified guys that use International spindles use the Bicknell piece that has a wide-5 snout on it. I don't know of anyone that makes a reproduction stock-style International spindle or racing hubs to go on them.

10. texasracing

texasracing
    from Texas

We have 2 vintage sprint cars with International spindles. These are certainly International, the ones used are 1959. They should also have a cap on top and bottom to hold the king pins in. They are getting harder to find all the time.

11. Ardun 32

Ardun 32

I'm looking for king pin bushings for the same spindle for a '53 Kurtis Indy roadster. Mine are 1" id x 1.115" od x 1 3/8" long. Any idea where I can find some?

12. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

IH spindels have not been used for probably twenty-five years. Today everything is either fabricated or
    billet.

I don't remember off hand which IH model was used or the model years, but one thing to keep in mind when looking for them at the boneyard is that , as used in circle track racing , they were machined and won't look like the stock ones. The snouts were shortened, I think about 1.5 or 2 inches and rethreaded. I don't remember if any other machining was done, but I think there was - possible reconturing of the snout profile. edit - I think you want to look for I H K model for the spindles

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014