Register now to get rid of these ads!

Surface rust on chrome reverse wheels...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WICKEDJOHN, Sep 24, 2011.

1. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

Never-dull by far It is the best I have used, no damage and seems to seal it for a while. I have tried a lot of different approaches over the years and this is the only one I would recommend. Don't use steel wool!!

2. Extra Fine Brass wool, available at marine stores. They use it on rusted railings etc.

3. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

Soak in wood bleach. I think it might be the same as the oaxlic acid mentioned above. I can't get you a link too hard to do on the iPhone. But got to thesamba.com and search in the forums for wood bleach. Someone had a nice write up.

4. Muttley

Muttley

Yep, same stuff...........also works great for flushing your cooling system.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Chromed stock wheels a piece of cake... Rusty real chromed wire wheels not so much.

40 years ago I used Naval Jelly on my chromed knock off wire wheels. Yes each individual spoke and the center hub that is hiding behind all those outer spokes. Try doing that with Never dull. I'd put it on and let it soak before scrubbing it with the brush. It took a while but the results were amazing. When you get it looking good again don't forget to use some good old style car paste wax to seal the water out of the tiny pits.

I ended up using an artist's short bristle oil paint brush that I could scrub the stain from the surface without scratching and dulling the shiny surface under the stain. Most of the rust that you see is actually a stain on top of the chrome. Steel wool can dull the surface. A heavy bristle brush may take a little longer but the results will be much better.

6. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I'm with Patrick but I usually spray bumpers with "blaster" then go over them with 0000 steel wool---real good results.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  7. davis574ord

davis574ord

i use navel jelly and oooo steel wool let the navel jelly sit awhile and eat the rust, you might have to do it several times, allways worked great for me!

8. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i use brass wool & mothers polish-been doing this for years on old chopper parts,the biggest problem is keeping the rust for coming back,so ya have to polish/wax em regularly

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Aren't Brillo pads essentially 0000 steel wool with soap loaded in them?

10. Special Ed

Special Ed

I'm fairly certain Brillo pads are a bit more coarse. Like single or double ought, maybe?...

11. maverickman514

maverickman514

time for my 2 cents... I have always used 0000 steel wool with no issues. S.O.S. / Brillo pads on the heavier stuff (like first cleaning of a new buy).

12. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

i use an S.O.S pad and soapy water on my supremes..works pretty good..

13. I remember getting a boat trailer in to detail. It painted white but had plenty of orange rust spots. Just plain ugly. Washed her off and then sprayed with the oxalic acid, keeping it from drying by spraying a bit more on from time to time. Hit it with the pressure washer and the orange washed right off. There were plenty of little dark spots where the metal was exposed from chipped paint but no rust showing. Made a believer out of me.

14. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Acid and naval jelly help remove rust, but those products will also attack chrome.

15. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

Interesting but before and after pics please?

16. Brass wool.
    No rust.
    If you use steel you could have some small rust spots.:eek:
    Buy brass wool at boat shops

17. Brass wool with car polish

18. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

oooo steel wool + elbow grease, repeat until desired results have been achieved.

19. swissmike

swissmike

Do you have a good source for elbow grease? ;-)

20. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Once you clean them up try FLIX metal polish....good stuff

21. braindamage

braindamage
    from Arnold Mo

Cheap ass Turtle wax chrome polish works very good and so does Brasso metal polish.

22. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I don't know what grade the Brillo/SOS pads are but they do scratch. I use them to wash dishes and they leave fine scratches on my cooking utensils. But as far as cleaning chrome, all I have ever used is fine steel wool and Brasso. And in the 40 plus years that I have used this method on my bicycle and cars, I have been very happy with the results. Works like a charm.
    By the way, I buy the steel wool at the local hardware store and it's not brass wool.

23. twisted sister

twisted sister
    from chicago

try fast orange hand soap and a wet rag. had luck with it on my old bumpers and then use some metal polish after.