Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Pontiac needs a gas tank? Where do I find one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay Tyrrell, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Hi,
    Just like the title says. I have a 1950 Pontiac torpedo back that needs a gas tank. I can't seem to find one anywhere. The gas fill is in the side of the quarter fender. A couple people have said that the 1950 Chevy Fleetline torpedo back has the same gas tank. Is this true? Anyone know? I have been looking on the internet for pictures to do a comparsion but can't find any?
    Kid

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Is it a Canadian Pontiac? If so it might have a Chevy tank.

3. I'm not sure it matters, the Pontiac and Chevy use the same shell regardless of whether US or Canadian, the filler is in the same place, and I believe both have the same spare tire well in the trunk, so the Chevy tank should work no problems.

The Chevy tank can be had repop in the $200 range in steel, poly and stanless, you should be able to find a seller and a picture in less than 30 seconds on Google.

4. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

It is a Canadian Pontiac with a straight 8. So the chevy Fleetline will work then?

5. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

I see Bob Owens of Wellington, TX in your future.

6. I thought the 49-52 Canadan cars only had either a Chevy 216 or a Pontiac 239 six as options?

Regardless, as I said 30 seconds tops on Google and you can find a picture of the Chevy repro tank... I'd buy new before I'd mess with an old used tank even if I had to adapt it a bit to make it work. It's going to cost just as much by the time you pay shipping from Texas, too.

FWIW, tanks are the same on all the 49-52 Chevy cars except the wagons and deliveries, it's not particularly body style specific.

7. nailhead ed

nailhead ed

if this helps, not sure if it's the only solution, but I have a 49 Pontiac torpedo back and had the same issue locating a tank, I got an early 50's chevy tank and had to relocate the filler neck and if I'm remembering correctly the sending unit was a different configuration as well...good luck and welcome to the tribe

8. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Ok? Who is this guy?

9. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

i got a stock tank that came from my 50 catalina, hit me up if ur interested

10. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

I have two things I have learned which I can pass along...

#1=Since I am a Chevy person, when I am looking for 1949-52 or 1955-57 Pontiac stuff I always ask this guy first. The owner of California Pontiac restoration. www.pontiacparts.net

He'll know if there IS a new reproduction availbale even if he doesn't make or sell it.
    Or if used is the only way, I bet they should be able to let you know so you'll have somewhere to start with interchange.
    Be sure to say it's a Canadian car!
    Cool folks.

#2=Also - To direct your search a little to some folks who mess with those years...Join the Yahoo group for 1950s Pontiacs. Some pretty "aware" people on there for 1949-52 tech details and how-tos.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/pontiac-1950s/

11. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Cool! THanks for the tips!