Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why is it that people want to sell a car until you try to give them cash?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolbreeze1340, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Why is it that people want to sell a car until you try to give them cash?

So I am out and about one day and a guy sees my car, starts BSing and tells me he has a big block 1957 Ford shortbed that he really needs to sell. I told him I might be interested and he says to follow him home and check it out. I check it out and decide I gotta have it. The truck had a Torino front clip, 429, C-6, 9" and was nicely done. It hadn't been on the road in two years and needed fresh fuel and a battery. I told they guy I would like to hear it run and go for a spin and he tells me to come back after the weekend and it will be ready. The weekend passes I call him and make arrangements to go for a ride. We go for a short spin with him driving and run out of fuel pulling back in front of his house. I strike a deal (he had to have his full asking price and I agreed to meet it), we shake hands and agree I'll be back today to pick up the pick-up. I make arrangements for a ride to his house, go transfer money around, get the cash, and show up at the time I was suppose to be there. The guy comes out and says I can't sell that truck, I've had it so long and I always liked it. WTF! I wasted about 6 hrs dicking around with this fool! I told him a phone call would have been nice before I did all the running and left. 20 minutes later I'm in the local speed shop picking up parts and here comes "Mr. Jackass"! He walks over and says "Hey, sorry about the truck." All I could say was "When I shake hands that is my word, I really don't feel like talking about it right now." Never really had a desire to own a 57 Ford before I seen this one. I guess I have another ride to add to my "Bucket list"!

2. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I won't publish his information, but buyer beware if you go to Michigan City, IN to look at 1957 Ford Truck, a 1952 Lincoln Capri, a 1956 (I think) Mercury, or a 1994 Dodge Dakota. He is just a bored old man wanting people to visit his garage and BS about his rides. Seems nice enough but his handshake means nothing and you'll waste a lot of your time!

3. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I hate it when that happens....

4. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

You have cash!?

5. Anderson

Anderson

What GV said!

Been trying to sell a car for a couple months here, with "cash only" in the ad. The most serious buyer I've encountered had to arrange a loan then says he can only write a check. Sorry Charlie, cash and carry!

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

The old fire was probably re-lit after he drove it again. Hey, it happens. Look at the bright side: now you are jonesing for a 57 of your own. Happy hunting! :)

7. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

That was a straight-up dick move on his part.

8. artandmaureen

artandmaureen

Hey you got cash i have a nice truck forsale

9. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

For that truck I did! I had a plan of a few inch drop, a hidden hitch, and a better wheel/tire combo. It would have made a great parts/trailer tugger!

10. He shoulda called. I've had someone change their mind on me too. I try to get the car outta their possession ASAP.

11. tedster

tedster

So the old boy had sellers remorse. Get over it. Move on to whatever is next.

12. John B

John B

More then once in my younger days I've priced a vehicle I really didn't want to sell, only to have the potential buyer show up with money. Never crawfished no matter how much I regretted shooting my mouth off.

Any person that won't back up their word is useless in my opinion.

13. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

I agree!

14. Why is it whenever I sell a car, no one wants to give me cash? They'll trade me something... well, actually even then I had a guy wanted to trade me a rusty Jeep and I agreed when I found someone I could swap that to for something I wanted.. and the guy still backed out in the end.

I couldn't even post an ad last week saying "geeze just make me an offer" because dickheads with nothing better to do will whine they wasted their time reading an ad to find the price is more than they can afford. Never mind that they have all damn day to read ads and that's a really lame thing to whine about.

15. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I can understand where the seller was coming from. Bottom line is that he realized he would be making a mistake to sell that truck. He obviously made a mistake advertising it for sale, and its too bad that you wasted time on it. But people ( probably including you ) make mistakes. As someone else said get over it. If you are going to buy something go with enough cash to buy it or at least enough to but a deposit on it and complete a partial bill of sale...which is a legal and binding contract. So place part of the fault at your own feet for not being a smart buyer.
    However, having said that , it would have been good of him to offer to compensate you for your time.

16. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

The thing that always bugs me is the guy who talks you down on price and then asks if you can "Hold it till payday" or then says "Let me think about it".

17. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

thats like getting kicked in the throat.

18. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Yeah, a total dick move! Just goes to show some people's word is worth nothing. I can see from a few of the replys that there are still people out there that think it is OK to strike a deal then back out whenever they want. I agree that taking cash is always best but it wasn't a cheap car and I don't fancy pulling that kind of cash in and out of the bank and doing all the required paperwork at the bank if it wasn't a deal. I have offered too much and gave a price that was too low both in the past but I always stand behind my deal and take it like a man. I honestly think the fool just wanted to get someone in his garage so he could BS about his "glory days"! That is OK, it won't work again because it is already the talk of the local car guys and no one will want the hassle. Most of the car guys around here are still people of their word and don't look kindly on anyone that plays games in car deals!

19. does he live on 350n just off wozniak road?

20. Torque-Tube

Torque-Tube

Handshake makes the deal! At least that's the way it used to be. I had an old lady agree to a deal (at her price) then back out the next day, but there was no handshake so I walked. But if she ever offers it again, it's gonna be my price not hers.

21. John B

John B

Nothing wrong with seller's remorse as long as you follow through with what you offered or agreed on. Here's my example.

One night we were hanging out at a local cruise spot when a buddy's girlfriend started asking about the truck I was driving. Wanting to know if it was for sale and so on. When I told her that I didn't want to sell it she just kept on saying that everything has a price. So being the smart ass I am I shot her a number I knew was high but not extravagent for the vehicle and told her she had three days to come up with the money. She shut the hell up and left me alone after that. The next day I got a call from my buddy telling me that she wanted me to bring the paperwork to the court house. He then told me that I didn't have to sell her the truck cause he knew I really didn't want to let go of it and he'd told her that repeatedly. I told him that I'd be at the courthouse in 30 minutes to do the deal.

WHY? Because I said I'd do something and I live up to my word. Afterall, if your word is no good, then you're a useless waste of space on this planet.

To make matters worse that night when we hit the local cruise spot, there it sat. Seller's remorse? Damn straight, but I'd have felt worse if I was a liar.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  22. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

No, he lives just off highway 12, edge of MC and The Pines. That's OK he'll stick it back in the pole barn, won't drive it and one day his worthless kids can fight over who gets what! It isn't like he was giving it away. The price we agreed to was a very fair deal. The only reason I was willing to go that high was because I knew who originally clipped it and it was local so I didn't have to waste money traveling and hauling it home. I can tell from some of the replys whose classified ads I'll be skipping!

23. BTB-Derby

BTB-Derby

Boy, do you have that right. Like when they call & ask if you'll take less 7 haven't even seen it. LOL

24. I have come to the conclusion that it's an ego thing and some of these cat's just like to talk and talk and talk !!! I have bought alot of cars through the years and I have never talked a man down on a car. I ask and I pay or I politely pass !! But I'll be damned that if every prick that comes to buy something from me always tries to talk me down !! And yeah GV it really pisses me off to agree to a lower price and then still own my shit at the end of the month !!! >>>>.

25. hitman912

hitman912
    BANNED

I had my 50 for sale - no trade - on craigslist and a hamber asked if I'd be interested in trading for his "roadster" (coupster). Never really thought I would own one so I was intrigued. Was ready to drive an hour and a half to meet him when he emailed me saying he was keeping his coupster, then he never responded to my emails or calls. Thought that was pretty lame, especially since he brought up the idea of the trade and we emailed back and forth about 15 times. Then the other day he emailed again when I put the craigslist ad back up! At least I didn't go meet him, otherwise I'd be mad. It's just an interesting story now.

26. so outside of that President Lincoln, how was the play?

27. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

right. because she has to sell it to you. if you can't/won't meet her price when she sells it, guess you ain't getting it. the next guy will.

bottom line, until cash is exchanged, and title is signed, it ain't yours. don't like it. tough shit. we've all had deals go bad. it happens.

28. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Benn there before. Cept I drove 90 miles only to have the guy send someone else to tell me he decided not to sell. A phone call would have been nice before I wasted time and gas.

29. brad chevy

brad chevy

Alot of the blame is on you for not going prepared the second trip. If you had been prepared with cash in hand you would have the thing right. If I am selling a car or truck be prepared to buy when you look at it. You gave the guy time to think about it so no need to throw all the blame on him.

30. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Yeah, because everyone takes a big stack of cash to look at a local car/truck (15 minutes from my bank) that they have not even heard run! Yes, if I have to travel I take cash, a buddy, and "little something" just to keep people honest, but with the bank rules and paperwork everytime you pull that kind of cash I didn't think it would be necessary. Next time I will know better. I guess you are right. It is a little my fault, I expected a 72 year old man to be a man of his word and assumed a handshake still meant something between men! We (teh man and I) run in the same crowd, know the same people, and both are from the same small community. Hell, I thought I'd see more of him in the future. I offered to come by and help him with his Mercury cause he said he had a hard time getting under it anymore and he had planned to come out to my shop and pick out a set of hubcaps (free) for his 52' Lincoln to get rid of the plastic AutoZone ones he has! Like I said before, I guess he was looking for a friend more than a buyer. I'm sure I'll get over it and run across another "must have" car, maybe even BS with him at the local cruise sometime later in life. Somethings are just black and white, and a man's word and handshake is one of them!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.