Register now to get rid of these ads!

41 Chevy Coupe Build w/pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigchuck, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Ok, so here it is. Big, fugly, and rusty. Still in the dissassembly stage to see what I've got. One thing is rusty floors, trunk, and rockers to fix. The rest is not so bad. Just what it is, I am still determining. I'm not sure what the exact end result is going to be yet. I do know it is gonna be a driver- nice but not too nice! V8, overdrive trans, 9", steelies, lower, shave some trim and other doo dads. Already looks better sans front bumper.

Attached Files:

2. LabRat

LabRat

Looks like a great starting point to me , your going to have that floor dirty in no time !

3. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Floor has lots of crud since pictures.

4. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Haven't posted on this for a while, but I've been busy blowing it apart and cutting out lots of rust. It is going to need rockers, floors, lower cowls, lower rear 1/4s, trunk, bottom rear pan. Just about every seam and boxed section rusted out. The rockers were over an inch deep with rust and some sort of grey dirt. Not quite as solid as I had hoped, but I'm not giving up. Man, me hates da rust!

Attached Files:

5. 33Tudor

33Tudor

Cool! My brother's got a 41 Special Deluxe Coupe he's owned since like 1970. Hope to see more of your progress pics and maybe I can get him interested in doing something with his! Good Luck!

6. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

More progress. Here are some pics. The pic of the little pile of crap is what I have been finding that was used for rust repair-some kinda putty and tar. Cleaning all the old tar paper and tar off the firewall sure was fun! I made some bracing to attach the Bitchin' Products trans cover to, and the floors will attach to that. I think I have got all the rusty parts removed except for around where the rear fenders attach in the wheel well and the lip of the body. That is not taking the doors into consideration. I'll worry about those when I get the body a little more happining. Looking for donor cars to cut up. Anyhow just thought I'd throw some pics up. I need somebody around Austin to roll some beads for me in some floor pieces-not sure who all in Austin can do that. PM me with ideas offers-Thanks.

Attached Files:

7. indygasser

indygasser

cool another 41 chevy coupe! yours is in way better shape then what i started with great job:D

8. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Wow, yours must have been really, really bad. How is it comming along?

9. indygasser

indygasser

slowly! ex gasser channeled putting new floor in then 5 to 6 inch chop. picking up a 61 poncho rear end today:D pics @ www.hoosiergassers.com

10. gamdon24

gamdon24

I am another 41 coupe owner! Actually my wife and I own 2 of them! I noticed your location is Austin Tx. We are both from Austin, but live in Oklahoma city. I would like to hear from you and see where you are in your project and pick your brain for details and ideas in doing the restorations.

E-mail or private message me? Mike G.

11. JAWS

JAWS

Bump cause I like da chevys

12. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

There has been a few posts about 40's Chevs on here lately. I have not posted on my own project for a while so, here are a few pics of my efforts. I may even be OK at welding before this is all done. A big thanks to Rocco and Bob over at ASS for rolling those beads in my stuff.

Attached Files:

13. Huckster59

Huckster59

14. gamdon24

gamdon24

Hey chuck,

Nice to see more work being done on your 41. I am planning on doing the floors on the wife's first and seeing those pictures sure helps. I'm going to have to fabricate a lot of it myself too. But I'll probably have to find someone to roll beads in it too.

Thanks for the posts.

I'll post mine up when I get some done.

15. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Progress has been slow lately, I've had to move my shop over the last two months, and been busy with other stuff. Not to mention the heat burning up my motivation. I spent lots of time trying to decide on what to do with the trunk area and fuel tank mounting. What I came up with was to raise the trunk floor and put a '57 Chevy tank under it. The filler neck will be moved to the driver's side. I bought a '57 Chevy tank, and mounting straps and the pics show how it is all going to work. I figured that it would be way better to build the trunk floor/gas tank mounting stuff on the bench, then weld the whole thing in rather than weld the floor in and have lots of upside down welding to do. I made a framework to support the floor first, then started on the tank mounting stuff. Instead of using carriage bolts(like stock) at the back of the tank, I'm going to use regular hex bolts. They will be accessed through the trunk floor through a hole just big enough to get a socket on the bolt head. The hook part of the strap will hook onto the shank of a grade 5 bolt welded inside the channel. Looks like it is all going to work well, and should be plenty strong. The hook support part will get boxed in on the ends when it gets all welded up for the last time.

Attached Files:

16. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Got a little more done on the trunk floor/gas tank support. First couple of pics show test fitting. That all worked out so, I got the beads in (thanks A.S.S.), brackets welded on & bottom primed. Next is to weld onto support structure in trunk area of car. After that, just lots more work on everything else.

Attached Files:

17. SWFL-RODS

SWFL-RODS
    from SW Florida

Great work Chuck, your shopwork & DIY thread are top notch.

18. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

Mighty fine metal work my friend. Mighty fine. '41 and '58 were Chevrolet's best years by far. In my opinion.

19. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Browsing your '41 chev post reminds me of my first car shown here in 1949, I bought it from a school teacher for a big sum of $500 bucks, installed a split manifold with Porter steel packed muflers, twin Appelton spots & '41 Buick fender skirts, nosed & decked & grey primered until 1952.----Korea time!----Don

Attached Files:

20. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

DDD, Cool chevy bakntheday, those were nice cruzers, and if ya added A built 270 GMC, 6 you would also be a fast cruzer.

21. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Nice build!! I'm following this one!

22. Me too! I have a '42 that I am gathering parts for to start a build thread. This sheetmetal is similar to mine so this is excellent. Thanks for all the good pictures, keep them coming. Will we see it at the Roundup in '12?

23. Voh

Voh

Looks like you have made some progress since I stopped in to see you. The heat has been a BIG drag. Hope it starts to drop off a bit soon. Keep us posted.

24. TT66'

TT66'

I'm gonna watch too. Nice work.

25. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Making a little progress. Working out fuel filler neck location and mounting.

Attached Files:

26. Orn

Orn

You’re doing a great job. I will follow this.

27. LOWLYDE

LOWLYDE

nice metal work! whats the gas tank from?

28. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YEP!---But back then, only the "Rich kids" could afford anything like a "Jimmy"with "Bumble Bee" headers.

29. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Didn't make this year. At his rate, maybe 2015? Time and money are tight these days.

30. Yep, I missed the show this year, hopin to make it next year and hopeto have the car there in the next few! HA! :D