Register now to get rid of these ads!

351 Windsor intakes.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Rabid Whippet, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Anyone know if theres a tri-power made for a 351?
    Striking out on the searches.

2. Beresford

Beresford

Probably not because the 4bbl had eclipsed everything else, performance-wise, by 1969 when the 351W was introduced. But you might be interested in items at vintagespeed.com. Flow will probably not be great because adapters typically slow it down. But if you don't mind the purists' comments and arm-chair negative-attitudes you might like it. The trying of different adapters by Offy, etc, back in the day, was commonplace - whether they ended-up working well or not.http://www.vintagespeed.com/

3. plynch

plynch

I have never seen a Tri Power intake for a 351.....I looked and asked around a few years back and came up empty handed.

4. I knew they never made them factory but I figured someone might have made an aftermarket one. I have a 1936 Ford with a 351 in it and was just looking for a better looking set up than just a 4 barrel. I have been into Pontiacs for over 30 years and have a couple 2X4s and a couple Tri powers for them. There's nothing better looking than multiple carbs as far as Im concerned. The 90s fuel injection intakes for 351s look sort of cool as they have 8 separate ports and I was thinking that making an adapter for those and have 4 2 bbls might be interesting. The intakes are cheap but would require lots of time fabbing . But thats not a deterant if the coolness factor comes into play. I spent 60 hours polishing and modifying an intake in front of the TV one time.So another question would be, does the new modern 351 intake fit the 1970s 351's

5. Here's the intake that would be sort of cool to modify for multi carbs, I just don't know if the intake bolts line up with the old 351s.

[​IMG]

6. Judd

Judd

7. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

The older/newer intakes both bolt on the same.

8. 65COMET

65COMET

Most guys use an adapter that fits between the heads and intake in order to use 289/302 intakes on a 351W,all 351Ws use the same intake bolt pattern as do the 289/302s.Edelbrock used to make a four piece adapter that included the two intake pieces and spacers for the valley ends. ROY.

9. George

George

Depends on what 70s W you're talking about. The '69-'74 Ws have 2 more intake bolts than the 75 & up W & all 289/302s. You could make a plenum box for the pictured intake or on a 2X4 & run 4 dueces. In that area there was a discussion on another forum about 2 barrels that are spread bore & internally progressive that was used on Pintos, could be used with a single rod on all of them.

10. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Wondering if you can prove that?

11. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Blue thunder makes tri power intakes for 289-302s which should work with the 302/351 adaptor. I have held one of these manifolds in my own hot little hands and they are VERY well done.

http://www.bluethunderauto.com/id22.html

Good luck. -Abone.

PS. I think you need to rip out that little Ford engine, and stuff in a fire breathing Pontiac.....

12. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

not too tough to prove...

[​IMG]

as far as tri-power like it's been said you'll need an adapter of some sorts, my buddy runs a small block ford with the 4 barrel to 2 two barrel carbs which has a cool old time look and performs pretty good if tuned properly

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  13. Deuces

Deuces

I got a Vic Jr. on mine.. ;)

14. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Thanks,didnt know that.

Me too!

15. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

Blue thunder dedicated 351W intake or 289 with adapter plates would be correct.

Bt the way, we have a complete NEW BG Six Shooter set up available.

16. greensheads

greensheads

The old intakes will bolt to the new and vice versa, you just want to use intake gaskets that are designed for the heads you are using. The deck height on a 69 windsor is slightly shorter than the later blocks, so if you have one of those blocks you may need to mill a later intake a bit to get it to fit well.

As far as the fuel injection intake goes, one time when my dad, brother and I were bored we welded up the injector holes, and made a plenum for one of those intakes. We mounted 2 autolite 2 barrels on it. It ran fine, but surged a bit when cruising. Im sure if a guy took some time to do some math you could build a decent setup.

17. 65COMET

65COMET

The extra bolts are a non issue as is the deck hight.I've been building 351W engine since 1974,never had any issues,every aftermarket intake I have ever seen or used had the 12 bolt pattern.I just finished a 351W from a 70s truck for a roadster and have a 418",351W based engine in my Comet based off of an 84 truck block.My truck used a 94 Lightening truck block with 69 351W heads and an Edelbrock intake,no fittment issues! ROY.

18. LabRat

LabRat

These adaptor plates for the Fuel inj. manifold are available ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. LabRat

LabRat

20. Deuces

Deuces

Moon sells those adaptors...

21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A friend of mine used to make these, however due to lack of demand he stopped. Plenum bolts onto top of EFI manifold. Don't know the numbers as to CFM etc but it works.

Attached Files:

22. whiskerz

whiskerz
    from Ga.

Holmon Moody makes one for a 302 , I am not sure about a 351

23. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I like that,how does it idle and cruise?

24. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I have one of these I never assembled - I got the lower intake and the adapter when he offered them here (was it X38?). It's away in storage right now, or I'd offer it for sale...can't put my hands on it right now (or anytime in the too near future).

25. This is what I want to do. Have the 351 look a little more traditional.

26. HOTRODDORK

HOTRODDORK
    from Michigan

I saw an ad for Edelbrock that said they will be making a 3 x 2 intake for the 302 . I called and they said it should be available soon , with some spacer plates between intake and heads this would work on a 351?

27. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looks like they wouldn't be too hard to whittle out of a coupla pieces of aluminum plate.

28. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Guys, This is exactly what I wanted to do. I knew there was a guy down under that was making a three carb adapter . Sure would like this setup on my Chopped '41 Ford Business Coupe.

Thanks for bringing this back up.

Dave :)

29. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Early 351 w had an 8 bolt intake until I think 74 then they went to a 6 bolt intake.

The water crossover ports are also different. The early heads had a L shape port because of the extra intake bolt were the later heads had a square port.

This can be an issue with the intake you use. If you use a square part intake (6 bolt) on an L shape head the water will run into the engine. If you use an L shape intake (8 bolt) on a square port head the Water will run out the second bolt hole on the intake. There are some 6 bolt after market intakes that have L shape ports so that they can be used on either style head.

First picture is the early head, Second and third picture is a early head with a late intake gasket

Attached Files:

30. George

George

They discontinued making 351W heads after '76, from then on they used 302 heads with the head bolt holes drilled out for the bigger bolts.