Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Scored A '50 Merc Off H.A.M.B. Classifieds!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modelamac, Sep 27, 2011.

1. modelamac

modelamac

Just wanted to show off my newest purchase!

So, to start out.... I just sold my '33 Chevy Coupe to make room for my '49 Oldsmobile project... then like a dumb ass before the coupe is even gone, I started looking thru the H.A.M.B. classifieds, I have no idea why.

For some strange reason I just kept looking at this one ad for a '50 Mercury, the reason I say strange... I've never really thought much about owning a Merc, I thought they were out of my cash range.

I kept looking at the ad, and looking at it... thinking, why hasn't anyone snatched this car up? This car has been on here for a couple of months? Hell the car is only 120 miles away.... so I called the guy. Got to taking to Jack (Great Guy) about it and thinking to myself this car has got to be too good to be true. Why is it still for sale? There has to be something wrong with it?

I couldn't stand it any longer I drove down a couple days later and looked at it... the car was just as Jack ( the guy who owned it) said. It's SUPER SOLID! It's an untouched, complete '50 Mercury that's been sitting in his basement for years.

I couldn't resist it, next thing I know I'm making offers, he's accepting them and BAM I own a 50 Merc.... All the way home I'm thinking what the hell are you doing, I thought you were making room? I got the car home... and MAN! the car is really growing on me, within a few hours we had it running off some carb cleaner. I have a new tank and fuel pump on it's way. Hopefully I will be taking it around the block later this week.

Anyway I thought I would share, I'm sure I will have a ton of questions as I get further into this thing.

Also! A BIG THANK YOU goes out to Jack... Thank You for allowing me to be the next care taker of this GREAT Mercury! The more I look at it, the more I like it! And THANK YOU H.A.M.B.

Attached Files:

2. Nice score....any big plans for it?

3. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Wow, clean looking merc.

4. MORodder

MORodder

I saw it on the classifieds also, wondered the same thing. I have too many projects as it is. It looked like a really nice ride. Enjoy!

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I need to watch the ads a little closer. Would like to have a Merc that nice to start with. Great score!

6. toughnut

toughnut
    from Arizona

WOW! Nice car.

7. Dblbeard

Dblbeard

Very nice, hope you keep us in the loop with pictures and updates.

8. csimonds

csimonds

Wow good find Bro! That thing looks to be in fantastic shape.
    Chuck

9. 2935ford

2935ford

Yeah, I also saw it and like you what could be wrong with it. I was tempted but to much on the go right now.

Happy you got it and enjoy!

10. JMD82

JMD82

Nice score! Keep us updated!

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

did you have to pay extra for the guy in the trunk? have fun with new toy.

12. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

sweet score, that appears to be in great shape. I would love to own a 50 merc.

13. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Wow man thats really nice. If it were mine all I would do is clean it up, lower the back a bit, and put wide whites with wheel covers. While I like custom mercs, its refreshing to see one thats all original!!

14. speters

speters

Looks great! Awesome score!

15. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Someone beat me to it, as I was going to ask if that "Squirrel" came in the trunk.... lol..:eek:
    (Just joking man)
    What an awesome find. Good for you.
    Not too often you find a solid non molested Merc like that one. Especially so close to home.
    Enjoy, and keep us in the loop !!
    Cheers........

16. modelamac

modelamac

Yeah! about the one thing the car doesn't have is a trunk key!
    I just knew Jimmy Hoffa's body, or bunch of cash was in there, so I had to go in....
    Let me tell you, it ain't easy for fat bastard to crawl through the back seat opening! LOL!

I think all I'm going to do to the car is put an interior kit in or have the interior done, put the skirts back on, and lower it. It has the original caps, but I think a set of caddy caps and wide whites would look mighty nice.

The car is actually super nice... only a small rust hole in the trunk and a few, I mean few little places on the rockers... the old paint has a nice shine, and with a few little badges of honor if you know what I mean.

17. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Nice score! Have fun with it!

18. farmer12

farmer12

What a great score!

19. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

In addition, if you lower it so it sits level (no tail dragger bs), put on a set of glasspacks, and add a floor shift conversion, you'll have a perfect replica of what most of us young guys in IL drove in the late 50's-early 60's. Nice score, indeed!!

20. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Killer car. Good luck with it!

21. Great find ! Looks like a Primo solid car, keep Us updated !

22. WAY TO GO!!!!! The day I got my Merc was the second best day of my life.....Hope to follow your progress. NOW....go join the HAMB Merc Club,hahaha!

23. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Enjoy your Merc!

24. OLLIN

OLLIN

maybe shave the trunk since you dont have the key, and maybe the door handles..but thats about it. what a solid car!

25. low merc51

low merc51

Congrates !!! Glad to see someone finally got it after all the months on the classifieds!!!!!
    YOUR ONE OF US NOW !!!!!!!!!!!LMAO!!!!

26. skoh73

skoh73

Man, that thing looks incredibly solid. Well done.

27. modelamac

modelamac

Spent last night in the garage putting a new tank and fuel pump on, with help from my wife, dad and good friends.

Fired it up... got it running! sounds great, no smoke, no strange noises!

Going to try to find some cheap tires... Then take a trip around the neighborhood this weekend!

The neighbors just love me!

Oh... and seeing my 71 year old dad with a smile bigger than Texas on his face after the old Merc started, and my wife laughing her ass off at us was the best part of the whole night!

28. losthubcap

losthubcap
    from Upstate NY

Nice rust free ride . Great score , congrats !

29. leadsledmerc49

leadsledmerc49

Glad to see someone finally got it. Looks like a great start and I can tell that you're having a blast. Keep us updated... and keep posting pics.