Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about 35/36 3W Ford chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1fastbyrd, Sep 26, 2011.

1. 1fastbyrd

1fastbyrd

I have been reading and searching the threads about 35/36 3W ford chops and read that on some of the chops they will remove more material from the back than the front. I am wanting to know the reason for this?

Thanks in advance
    Jeff<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

2. I believe most take more from the front than the back.

3. 1fastbyrd

1fastbyrd

TTT for the evening group

4. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The flow desired..?

5. Rikster

Rikster

If you look at the side profile of a 1935-36 Ford top you can see that the back portion of the top is higher than the front. (I guess specially designed for People with high hats back then.)

To get rid of this high bulge at the back you need to chop the back more than the front. THis way you get the top to sit level with the belt line. And to get a perfect 1940's feel for the top you need to chop it even a little more in the back to get the roof to flow down in the back to get that instant speed boat look.

If you want a Hot rod look you don't need to do this... but who wants to have a Hot Rod look on a 1935 -36 Ford anyway! They were made to be Customs

Stock top

[​IMG]

Chopped with more material taken out from the back.

[​IMG]

6. 1fastbyrd

1fastbyrd

Rik,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Thank you for the informative answer. I am looking at having one chopped and it done correctly for a custom look. The saying is customs are for getting girls and hot rods are for getting rid of them! <o:p></o:p>

7. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

What ever you do make sure to keep the nice curve in the door tops. Way to many people flatten the door tops and I think it makes the car look like poop after its been chopped.