Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods To Save a Coupe - I must be nuts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Sep 26, 2011.

1. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Every great Hot Rod has to start with something!

2. swazzie

swazzie

i would totally save that.. just another great project from what i can see.

3. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I'm definitely watching this one. Your Modified Murray is sweet!

iPhone - TJJ App

4. Scooter you have lost your mind, but I know whatever you do with it will be cool. Love to pic of your Dad!

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHA! Thanks Smitty! :D:D

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There will be an official build thread on the car once everything gets started and I'll link it to this thread. It will be awhile... I would love to see the rust gone sooner than later for planning reasons though. so I may take parts little by little over to the media guy. We'll see.

7. Focus young Skywalker don't let the darkside of another build draw you in.:D

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm so close to getting the other car on the road! I'm still pretty focused, but it's nice to think about something else for awhile. The other car is basically all work and no planning left. This relieves my brain for a bit.

9. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

"incredibly rough" ????? this thing???? I need to move south!
    Im pretty jelous.

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

In my humble opinion...the Black Bomber has classic look and...the very so important....Stance.
    I am sure your A will come out with a timeless feel too, no matter what the driveline.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. That is not a bad starting point.(just look in my albums if you want to see what a crazy person drags home) The hardest part is finding one and being able to buying it. There are a lot of very talented people that will lead you in the right direction, just becaused you asked how and show some desire to jump right in

12. 562roadster

562roadster

Scooter,

That windshield looks to be for a 1930-31 ford roadster.

Awesome score too! I can't wait to see the build thread on it.

-George

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sick! Thanks Jeff! For some strange reason I don't think I've seen that car! Wow!

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for your comments, everyone! I just feel privileged to even be able to get this.

Have a lot of real learning to do now, instead of just browsing other people's coupe builds.

Anyone have an example of a Model A coupe on a 32 frame pinched so the frame actually falls inside the grille shell? Lots of 32 Fords done this way, but not sure I've seen a Model A done like that. Think of 3wLarry's coupe with a Model A body instead of a 32 body. Anyone have an example of it done??

15. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I like it.
    Get to building!

16. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I can only think of the Wade coupe build thread by Brian Bass.

iPhone - TJJ App

17. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Just to inspire you to go back over that build thread.. :)

iPhone - TJJ App

Attached Files:

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Larry's suspension is an archetypical Rolling Bones suspension. They set that chassis up exactly how they set up everyone one of their '32 fords. So if you're like that look of pinching the rails to flow behind the grille shell you'll have to take into account that the front crossmember needs to be more narrow and then figure out how you're going to latch your hood and run headlights if you choose to do them differently then the RB guys do which is super low on the headlights.

For me there is nothing wrong with the way a and unmodified Model A looks on an unmodified '32 Ford frame. It looks like a hot rod. It's two cars that were built 80 years ago and they are being bolted together so not everything has to "FLOW". They just have to have a good stance and the right wheel and tire choice and you're already 80% there. I don't think the extra effort to make the frame fit the body and then the grille shell and having the line flow as you eye takes you through the lower section of the car is really any better the simply taking a model a body and putting it on a '32 chassis and bolting it down. I do like the 3/4" channel idea at it take some of the "chunkyness" out of the frame but that's about as far as I'd go.....well maybe that 2" de-section if you're really interested in that look.

I just keep going back to Mr. Ford's and the one Norwell threw up and I just can't see it getting any better. The one that Norwell put up with a hemi and a cragar 4x2 intake would be it for me. I'd could die a happy man!

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Alright, the Wade/Bass coupe is definitely cool, it's got all type of Weez appeal to it which is always a favorite of mine. It's more complicated then I would like to have built it (because I'm not capable of building things that complicated) but the stance and squat is damn near heavenly.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I concur and many of the nicer rods on here have started with less.

I figure that someday a batch of us off the HAMB will be beating feet to some event to see this coupe out for display for the first time. And I hope the hell I get to go.

21. billylo

billylo

Ambitious for sure, but well worth the effort!!

22. redeyewelder

redeyewelder
    from ten

looks like you have 90% of it there to work with,,,ive started with way less before..lol..good luck

23. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I know what you mean by being complicated. I figure with what Scooter's starting with, this is more of a blank canvas to go all out than it would be to start with, say, a bone stock Model A coupe. I wouldn't be able to bring myself to make something like the Wade coupe out of a stock A coupe that's already all there.

Of course, Scooter needn't make something completely original with the body, the Murray Modified fits that bill well.

iPhone - TJJ App

24. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

You can do it Scooter! At least yours still has the ass end attached!:eek:

Attached Files:

25. Toner283

Toner283

Cool start to a project Scooter. Looking forward to the build thread.

You say that like it's a bad thing.?? :D

26. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

That is alot better than mine was.....I was in the same boat as Mr. Ford...mine didn't have the rear quarters and still doesn't.

27. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

This is what I am working with now.

Attached Files:

28. guys gotta start with something! saves ya from paying too much and having to tear one apart.

29. RobsHemiA

RobsHemiA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old man Scootermcrad = badass !

30. hammered30

hammered30
    from west aus

[​IMG]a little something to get you inspired[​IMG]