Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks guys! If I'm going for grey, it will be a very dark one. (where it looks to be black at night time.) I still got time to think though.....first, it's back to the garage tomorrow for some welding.

2. farmer12

farmer12

Considering it was going to be a sunny day today, I set up a little "work bench" outside. Made a frame for the fuel cell and welded it up. It's quite a funny shape as it needs to clear the tunnel and a high section where one of the 4 link bars is hidden. Hope to finish it off tomorrow. It will eventually be powdercoated together with the chassis and some other parts.

Attached Files:

3. powhatan42

powhatan42

What size and type of fuel cell are you using? Nice welds.

4. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Glenn. It's a RCI aluminium fuel cell (19 gallons) which I bought through Summit. I also bought the mounting brackets, but I will mount them upside down so as to be able to mount the cell completely rearwards against the c-notch. This should save me about an inch or two, creating more room for the airride compressor.

Attached Files:

5. slamdpup

slamdpup

heres my color input flat dark blue or flat dark Burgundy with a litt;e flake not a lot just enough to make it pop..my thoughts

6. farmer12

farmer12

Made a few alterations to the frame, cut of the legs at angles and did a test fit. I'm going to create some extra supports for the fuel cell and weld a plates to the legs so as to be able to distribute the weight even better. This has taken me longer the anticipated due to the constant test fitting and grinding. I hope to complete the frame this week and move on to the air-ride frame after that.

Attached Files:

7. robleticia

robleticia

Looks good Eric! I think the plates on the feet are a great idea.

8. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Rob. I'm even contemplating making some plates underneath the body so the force will be distibuted even better.

9. Looking great!!! It's amazing how much space is under the package tray. You could smuggle all kinds of stuff in there....if you were so inclinde to smuggle stuff. haha

10. farmer12

farmer12

The space under there is massive. I'll be able to hide my fuel cell, battery and air compressor and will still have room left over for maybe the electrics, subwoofer, tools and other stuff. Yes, I did say subwoofer......I'm planning to take it on trips and want some decent music in the car. (loud enough to overcome the engine noise.:D)

11. robleticia

robleticia

I think plates on the ends will be good enough, depending on what gauge you used on your floor. I cant see that fuel tank staying full very long anyways!:D

Subwoofer....what:eek:???? Thats it....mail that Hemi to me!:D

12. farmer12

farmer12

The gauge on the floor is 1mm, so basically strong enough.....with regards to the subwoofer/stereo, I'm still not sure, considering I've tried to make the car as light as possible (no a/c, no heat, no pwr steering, etc) it somehow does not seem right to build the car full of speakers and amps. Maybe I'll just I'll just listen to my iphone with earphones.........;) Give me some time to think about this one.

13. In regards to stereos, you don't have to have a car full of speakers to have good sound. I'd definitely put some sort of sound deadening material in the car, but you could get a modest 4 channel amp, a pair of coaxial speakers for the front kick panels and a 10" sub, and instead of buying a head unit just get one of those "preamps" that allow you to hook up your iPhone and be done. Two channels of the amp can power the coaxials and then bridge the other two amp channels to power the sub. You'd have great sound without a lot of weight. And of course when you want to listen to real music, you turn off the iPhone and roll down the windows. :)

14. farmer12

farmer12

That may just be the ticket Hivolt5.0. Nothing too fancy, but still have a decent sound without too much added weight. Thank you.

15. lincoln68

lincoln68

16. farmer12

farmer12

Yes I am aware of this build. It belongs to a buddy of mine Jochen, now residing in Dusseldorf. (Thinkfink here on the Hamb). He had this built by Charles Poelmans over the last few years and is in the process of finishing it. This is one awesome looking car and I hope to see it in real life soon! Even though his car is also a 41 Plymouth, there are quite a few differences in design and modifications. Thanks for the link.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  17. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thats a pretty nice car, but that chebby looks kinda puny after seeing the hemi in Farmer12s car. It would be cool if both cars did a photo shoot together.

18. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

Gotta agree with you on this Eli. I like farmer12's lines/chop better and the Hemi is the icing on the cake! Both cars are great, but I do have a favorite though.:cool: A photo shoot of these "twins" would certainly be awesome.

19. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks guys! I'm sure I can convince Jochen in a double photo shoot once both cars are done. (once the individual shoots are done of course!) Just imagine these two head to head!

Attached Files:

20. plmczy

plmczy

I like both builds. I see he used the gm sub frame also. Keep up the good work eric. would love to see both side by side in a photo shoot.

21. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Oh yeah! The cool factor would be through the roof!

22. farmer12

farmer12

I believe he used the chassis of a hearse and a pontiac engine. Due to the with of the front suspension, he has decided to extend the front fenders outwards. Despite that both our cars are 41's, there are quite a few differences with regards to design and outcome. Jochen's car is going to be one great ride once he's finished it off. His Plymouth will be on the road next year for sure and with a bit of luck, he'll let me drive it.:D

23. plmczy

plmczy

A hearse? Wow he must have had to shorten the frame a little bit. When I looked at the photos I thought he used rectangle tubing to get rid of the x frame of the original mopar chassis.

24. farmer12

farmer12

I think you're right. It looks like a Plymouth chassis. Then it must have been just the drive train from a hearse....here are some pics. (I hope you don't mind Jochen.:))

Now I'm only curious why the front fenders had to be extended outwards........

Attached Files:

25. plmczy

plmczy

The gm sub frame is wider then the stock mopar chassis. The front wheels will rub the fenders thus limiting your turning radius. You can either change the upper and lower a-arms to shorten tubular a-arms or like I'm doing I'm using 4 wheel drive s-10 rims(the narrow ones)which move the rim in closer to the a-arm but it is to close and rubs the inner tie rod end so you have to use a wheel spacer to move it out a little bit. You will also have to use longer wheel studs to attach the rims safely.

26. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes it is, Eric. I still haven't figured ou how to take full advantage of it. As usual, your build is looking great! I can't wait to see the finished product. I think the black will be badasssssssss.

27. thinkfink

thinkfink

You can drive it anytime Eric...only I am afraid that my poor 305 will make it feel extremely lame compared to your hemi...and a double photoshoot...love the idea...consider it done...i know the perfect guy for it - Sven from the scrapers (known as el cheapo). Am sure he will be totally up for it. Plan to be in Heerlen tomorrow, so hopefully there are new pix of the car in your inbox this week.

28. thinkfink

thinkfink

Don#t mind at all.
    And there is no Plymouth left in the frame...all modified Chevy Caprice hearse with a heavy Z in the frame.

The Caprice has a wheelbase of a 118" the Plymouth a 117". So we moved the rear fenders slightly back and lengthened them to make the proportions work.
    Concerning width in the rear, was not really an issue..on front on the other hand Charles had to widen the fenders 2,5 " to make those fit and take care that the tires don't rub.

29. thinkfink

thinkfink

i know...and I have serious Hemi envy:eek:

The only defense i have..it is built to be a long distance driver (it has to get me from Spain to Sweden)...and parts situation and the price of fuel in Europe made the lumpy 305 with the 700R4 a valid contender...

If I would have known back then what I know and like now...the built would have taken some different directions and a 341 firedome would have been the dream motor in there.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  30. farmer12

farmer12

The fuel cell frame is finished. (more or less) Test fit worked out fine. Going to start on the airride frame tomorrow.

Attached Files: