Register now to get rid of these ads!

Registering a car with no title in California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PiecesofEight, Sep 10, 2011.

1. PiecesofEight

PiecesofEight

So I am starting out on my first project, and have been doing research and I am constantly lurking the form. But I tend to be running into many difficulties with sellers.

The basic question being, if I buy a 1929 cab, with no title, but a bill of sale, am I still able to register it in california with out any difficulties.
    Must it be SB-100, or is there another way in doing things?

Being that I am new to building a hot rod, any precatuions I need to take?
    (Not with the actual build of the car)

I know this question has been asked time after time, but I still run into contradictions.

2. I'd use search to read up on the 8,000 or so other threads on this - but there is no definitive answer because it varies with just what branch of the DMV you use and what clerk you happen to get.

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

Go to a AAA office. If you are not a member, join. Then lay out all your specifics to them (in person), and they can walk you through it, as well as offering "suggestions" as to your precise needs. They can, and will, handle the entire process for you without the hassles of the DMV, including verification, if needed...

4. Cerberus

Cerberus

Does the cab have a vin #? If the 1929 cab has a vin number, the process should be easier. If you have no vin # as a baseline from where to start it will probably be registered under SB 100. I have a SB100 number on my paperwork as we speak for my avatar car. It is up to the CHP to decide if my car replicates the original car by more than 80% visually to be titled as a 1936 "Special Construction" vehicle. If the CHP deems it does not visually replicate a 1936 it will be titled as a 1964 "Special Construction" vehicle. GO FIGURE. The CHP do not assign a manufacturers name to the year chosen. I've been told it helps to have a very close relative who makes the decision to get things done.

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

After your car becomes a roller, you will have to take it to inspected by the CHP, they will issue a vin number. On the first day DMV is opened in the New Year, go to DMV, they allow 500 cars per year to be registered as what it is without the special construction moniker. They will need to see all receipts (for tax purposes) for registration.

My buddy had 2 T-buckets that he had "bought" titles for. When DMV started going after those people, he freaked. Now his 2 sons built cars and had them inspected. I told him to do what his sons did. Well the first of this year, he did it and he said it wasn't painless at all.

6. Cerberus

Cerberus

If the body is steel, and if the body is indeed a 1929 original body/cab, you will have a better chance with the CHP assigning a model year of 1929 Ford to your title. If it is fiberglass forget it. One rule the CHP practice sometimes when assigning model year and manufacturers model is that it must be 80% original. I speak from experience, in addition I have two very close friends who built cars from scratch and had them registered in California.

7. PiecesofEight

PiecesofEight

I went all this time without realizing I had any replies. Woops.

I read almost all 8,000 of those posts and talked to various people.. All with different answers and ways.

Think I brought it down to going through AAA, see what they say, and most likely will find myself at the DMV come the first of the year.

With getting the SB-100 number, does this mean my car needs to be running, or some kind of roller?
    Or can I slide by with just a body, and a few other various parts?

Thank you to all of you for your replies.

8. evintho

evintho

No not at all. Mine looked pretty much like it does in my avatar when got my SB100 #. You probably seen my thread but here it is again. It lists exactly what forms you need.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433178

9. PiecesofEight

PiecesofEight

Evintho, I saw that one a few weeks back and gave me a great idea of what had to be done
    Killer thread, glad I came across it, thatnks for the help.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Document everything you buy and everything major that you do.

Get a three ring binder and a batch of page saver sheets and start a build book with the receipt for the cab along with photos of the cab as you bought it in the first pages. Keep the paperwork and documentation for any and all major parts that go into the build. A copy of the title from a doner rig if you use one along with the paperwork for getting rid of the hulk. If the engine was one you had stashed in the back shed under the bench note that and even take a photo of it under the bench and maybe add where it came from.

Having documentation of where everything came from and how you acquired it not only helps with getting the title it helps with the tax guys when they want to value the truck at much more than you actually have invested in it at the time. That is unless your ego says you need to pay taxes on the higher amount.