Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's talk drag racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modelacitizen, Sep 23, 2011.

1. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Maybe time to lower the bars a little?:D Lippy

2. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I took my truck to the track for the first time yesterday. I wasn't expecting great numbers running on radir cheater slicks and the first time out. I have a lot of work to but I had great time. Best pass of the day was a 11.77 @ 114 with a 1.99 60'.:)

3. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Awesome Mat! i've been waiting to see that thing run!

4. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Yep, that was user error and has been corrected. The bars were low but they work better with the pins in.

5. Still workin the bugs outta this street car....so far [email protected] rowin that 5-speed...I think she will get in the tens...only goin thru the lites at 6000 motor dynoed 540 @6600 not bad for a pumpgas 383...I call that a" peanut motor" these days...R~R

Attached Files:

6. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

That's great. What kind of 5 speed are you running? Any videos?

7. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Cool stuff on this thread. Like one of you guys said "drag racing is a sickness for which there is no cure" I agree. I've been happily infected since I was a little kid in the 60's. I'm also glad I've passed this disease on to my son. He's 13 and has been racing a Jr. dragster for 5 years. Here's a pic he took of my Willys from our 9/18 race at Atco. Went 10.587 on a 10.58 dial with a .042 light and lost on this pass. It was a great close race. Who says nostalgia racing isn't competitive. Been racing this car for 11 years, best ET 10.41 @ 124 with a 1.41 60 foot on pump gas.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  8. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Here's the photo. :eek:

Attached Files:

9. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

quote from rashy before a race,"if youd take a good crap you might drop a few tenths"
    i have a another carb im gonna try..and change springs in the dizzy..i dont want to change to much,i want it to be in street form .so i have an idea of what it will do during dragweek next year...either way im having a great time ....

10. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

That's a helluva dump man! A few hundredths or thousands but a tenth?!?! :D

11. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I've seen your car many times at Island. It's fantastic. Will you and your crew be out at Beaver Springs this weekend?
    By the way, you're familiar with that purple and blue '39 Chevy sedan right? Didn't that thing used to be called "The Moose?" Raced at Maple Grove and such back in the day??

12. Experiences? Got 20+ years worth. 1st place looser=twice,semi's=twice,and took the better part of 17+ years to finally win one! Started at a 13.4 in '86,and went 9.98 in 2k6. It was fun but $. Would I do it again-HELL YA! Just mellowed some,and tastes have changed a bit. But-The fire still burns,and i'll never shake it!

Attached Files:

13. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

was all that with the same car?

14. No- 1st car was 64 Nova 2dr sedan 86-87. The 65 was bought in a junkyard for $250 in '87,and the pick is what it morphed into after 25 yrs....Hated to let it go,but I couldn't have everything I wanted......

15. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

RE: Brackets vs. "real" no breakout racing:

Give me a few days to really get into it---the reason i haven't posted yet is because this is going to be a loooong post. Perhaps an essay.

But in the meantime, if the weekly purse was generally set low---i don't know how much the average is now, let's just say $1000 to win, then would the incentive really be there to really spend mondo $$$ just for an $1000 purse?

a) Well, probably. But these same guys would spend big dough even if we raced for trophies only. Ties in with the ambition thing.

b) Think about how much we've all spent on brackets (and in my case have never won). Think about all the tube frame cars, dragsters etc. that race in brackets. Not exactly cheap either. i figure if i'm going to lose all the time anyways i might as well have fun and lose the right way.

c) Not to mention i feel that heads up no breakout racing would be definitely a better/steeper learning experience----you HAVE to get smart fast. With brackets i'm just copying what thousands have done before me and i'm not nessesarily trying to go faster and faster which is really the object of dragging.

d) As far as deep pockets, that's why alliances are formed (don't see that too much nowadays) If you can't beat em, gang up on em. But i don't see what's wrong if someone has more money.

But give me few days/weeks.

16. My street driven 69 big block nova ss runs 11.80 and is so easy to race its almost boring at the track. DOT tires and through the exaust, it just does its thing. My 30 ford gasser has run a best of 11.68 at hotrod dragweek. The engine is new and as it broke in on DW it got faster. Its not boring and looks the part.

17. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Thanks, yes we will be at Beaver Springs Saturday. That 39 Chevy is not "The Moose". The original Moose is a modern style race car these days.

18. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Why thank you sir,not the greatest quality vids but they work here ya gohttp://youtu.be/0FVj90Ga4cE
    http://youtu.be/TSY-uBLXuyg

Both of these were from last years Hamb Drags..sadly no videos this year! boo!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  19. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

vids added BTT

20. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Nice dude. I actually looked for videos of your car but never saw that one. Thanks for posting it. what's you gearing and tire size? What trans?

21. a promoter cut the purse and asked him why and he said because he could and that racer would be there even if they were running for trophies, it doesn't matter what type of racing promoters are a special breed!

22. Ironswims

Ironswims
    from Illinois

23. Well lets see I started racing in '69. How much time do you have?

Last race was actually @ MOKAN I think HAMB Drags #5. I have an excuse but it would just be an excuse. 13.3 in a 4000 lb brick of a pickup truck.

Ugly as butt but it was fun.

[​IMG]

In '69 I had a '55 Ford that ran low 13s. By '71 when we sold it I was running consistent low 12s. I started out with a 3x2 312, thunderbird engine, mostly stock on street tires. Last pass same mill, 2x4, Killcup cam and 7" slicks. We still drove it to the strip changed the tires there, uncorked it and raced. If we didn't break we changed the tires sometimes we corked it back up and drove it home.

Lots of racin' between then and now. Some on my cars, some wrenchin other fellas cars. I have never owned a dedicated race car, my cars have always been my drivers. I have gone real fast (9 second cars), but never lower than 11s in one that belonged to me. I have never driven a real fast car in a real for the money pass, it has always been a shakedown run so the real driver could win.

24. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

in that video It was a 3.55 w/ 28x10.5x15 et drags, this year it has 4.11s and the trans is a th350

25. 60man

60man

Looking forward to this Saturday to see all the "traditonal" style Gassers & Hot Rods. I'll be there I hope with my "Late Model"...Been a spectator & that isn't fun...IMO..;)
    Is Bruce Larson going to be there ??
    Troy

26. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

We have a four car team of six banger Fords, including these three Hamb friendly hot rods:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. I am running a Liberty modified,faceplated TKO600 with a .64-1 overdrive...thats 545 hp with an overdrive! 120 inthe quarter and I aint even got it in high gear!! I bet this thing would run over 150 mph if it would stay on the ground...120 in the quarter goin thru the lites at only 6000 rpm.the motor make power till 6700!

28. A faceplated TKO 600 by Liberty Trans nice piece .64-1 OD I bet this coupe has a 150 mph top end,if it would stay on the ground...