Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indy Bones

Indy Bones

All I know is, I love the HAMB board. I check out some Mods and some Rods, read about heroes and old friends from both worlds (from Lil' John Buttera to Steady Eddie Flemke), and try to see what guys like Lee Osborne and Maynard Troyer are up to these days. It's a nice little daily vacation for me ... and losing it would be a shame.

2. Dave Dykes

Dave Dykes

Bones, Denny, Rich, etc.,

I may look into starting a similiar forum as a part of "Racing Through Time." I'll talk to Tom & see what it would take (he's the friend, Webmaster, and brains behind the operation). I don't post here, but do visit the site sometimes. It's obvious that a lot of my friends are here, and it'd be a shame to loose such a resource for us racin' people. Stay-tuned....

3. This thread has brought many old time modified drivers and crew members together, early Modified Racing was Hot Rodding! The invasions we see in todays hot rods, can be attributed to modified racing from the beach days to the early 70's.

But what I see here, is stories that made these guys tick and why the did what they did, from the junk yards to the garage to the track. This thread is what Hot Rodding is all about, the same with the drag cars from the days. It was a melting pot from racing! Hot Rodders were racers, if it was the drag track that weekend or the oval to even the road courses...it was built on racing! And we have some of those heroes that post here!!!

We have heroes on this thread to the hot rod industry!

4. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Hey Folks, I hope it survives but if this site gets wadded up here's my email
    [email protected]

5. Willie41

Willie41

I'm with you Alan. That was 1 of the best races I've seen in quite a while. I too would like to see more modified coverage unfortunatelyas long as NASCAR is in charge of modified competition I highly doubt you will see that. All Nascar wants to do is keep sucking on their cash cow cup series, Nationwide & truck series Oh & by the way let me know when the mod squad is on Versus. Every time I go to it the station says to be announced.

6. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Just so you guys know, Ryan IS the man here. We are visiting his track, he owns it, he is the guy paying the bills, he is the guy that sets the rules. He has allowed some bending of the rules in the past but has determined it is time to return to the rule book. Like any places we have ever raced, if we don't like the rules, we are free to follow the rules or leave (or in this case, be locked out). If we pursue arguing with him, he WILL close the track. The only reason this thread is here at all is because he likes all forms of hot rods. This thread is not what the HAMB is, its merely one part of the HAMB that has ventured away from the forums content. As the forum owner, it is his responsibility to watch its resources, which I suspect this thread takes a lot of, and manage them as he sees fit.

At this point, he has told us to return to the pre 65 era and we can continue. That is what the rule book says and that is what the track owner says. I like these old circle track racing threads, please continue within the rules. They are better then any history classes I ever took. Gene

7. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey Guys, There's a site called Auto Racing Memories that is like this site, it seems to be open to the newer cars that you can check out.I found it by accident when I found one of my shots that I posted here on the sprint car thread posted there and joined.They have the drag ,sprint modified ,midget threads to name a few.Maybe joining and posting the newer stuff there will lessen the tension here and this thread can keep going........Rich

8. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

What happens IF we're moved to dogfight ?does this entire thread just move over there and continue as it is would that be so bad? I think we would have more freedom on dogfight there are no OT cars there!Yes we would need to join there (I did already) We would still get notified of new posts in the thread same as here.If we are being offered the chance to just continue AS IS on dogfight I think we should just move over there, Ryan could just wipe us out with a button click it is his site instead he's offering an alternative for us to keep going on a site we could have more freedom on and I guess we should be glad of that.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  9. EEZI

EEZI

I can't let this 4-yr old thread be closed while some individuals discuss 2011 modified race results! This is for vintage stuff, plain and simple. So, here are some coupes. Pics from a 1961 Claremont NH Speedway program.
    Harold Barrows
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. EEZI

EEZI

Leo Howland Claremont NH 1961
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. EEZI

EEZI

Edwin Jennison Claremont NH 1961
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. EEZI

EEZI

Walter Billington Claremont NH 1961
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. EEZI

EEZI

Coupes variety
    Cheshire Fairgrounds 1957 Keene/Swanzey, NH
    #11-? #80 Pappy Forsyth, #20 Shorty Rollins?, #9 Dave Todd
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. EEZI

EEZI

Pappy Forsyth 1957 Safford Park, Cheshire Fairgrounds, Keene/Swanzey NH
    A familiar scene from 1957. Early channelled car with fresh air intake.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. I see the problem as many newbies coming in do not know the rules. Since the last time we were warned, very few late model mods slipped by. i also agree that this is Ryan's track and his word in final and seeing as he hasn't shut us down after all the pleading and reasoning tells me that he wants us to police ourselves. I think he may very well have us on probation. If only there were someway to notify new members that the cut off is now 1965 with no exceptions, we'd be good. Is there anyway the Thread Title could reflect that?
    Thanks, I'd hate to see this threat shut down or moved.

16. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I feel the same way 50Dodge4x4 feels, which is the same way I feel about the Historic Stock Car Photos thread. You either play by the rules or find someplace else to play. Personally, I like the HAMB and these threads so I try to play by the rules.

17. Dr. John

Dr. John

There are some not-so-new members who also strayed. I went back around page 300-305 and saw photos of go-karts and Richie Evans Cavaliers (and I liked Richie as much as anyone else here and I am not singling anyone out -- I am just using those as examples and nothing more). Later on in the 300s are photos of Jack Roush's plane crash.

I do not live in a glass house -- I was posting photos of Modified drivers in their Mini-Stocks and Late Models (before they graduated to Modifieds -- kind of a "before-they-were-famous" thing). I was chastised for it (and of course I got pissed) and I took them down.

If you go back to page 1 you will see there is a lot of stuff that did not belong on this site (according to the guidelines) and a lot of duplication (you'll see a lot of the same Richie Evans and Maynard Troyer photos posted many times -- which probably adds to the space issues).

But as I said before, this was a great thread that turned into a great COMMUNITY and consequently it went out of bounds from there. People were happy and excited to share what they had. We were so happy to see the thread go to 300 pages, then 400, then 500. Hell, I even used to look for photos on eBay so that I'd have something "new" to share...

On my Facebook page, I can post what I like and my friends are welcome to look and right-click (save) at any time. If this thread is going to be locked/redirected, then I've redirected my stuff to FB.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  18. BKHRS

BKHRS

This past weekend I ran my 92 car at the WCRA Vintage event at All American Speedway in Roseville, CA. This year it was not grouped with the Super Modifieds and they had a pure period correct group and put on a great show. The hardtop group consisted of pure hardtops (running straight sixes and flatheads) and modified hardtops (running v8's offset steering, wide tires, cars that weren't traditional hardtops). The 92 car won the fan favorite vote for Modified Hard Top.

On Friday, the car ran good, although we identified a bad power valve, the driver managed to pass (lap) every car in the group, but without being too obvious. After the first practice Saturday, another driver asked to rent or buy a right rear since they had broken a wheel. I let him have a left rear (less offset than my right sides). The driver of my car went to the back (on his own) just prior to the start. On the second lap a car spun in turn 2, one lane up from the bottom. The guy I gave the tire to had a lot of experience otherwise he probably would have turned down into my car, instead he hit the brakes and headed for the spun car and did stop in time. On the restart we were in 5th place, after a couple of laps the 92 was in second, and the driver Frank Vincent really started having fun playing with the leader, moving side to side behind him so he could see him but not be sure when he would try the pass. Frank's plan was the last lap, problem was in the middle of turn 3 was 3 lapped cars side by side, things got stacked up. The guy I leased the tire to got around the outside and came in first (he liked running on the 15" wide tire/wheel instead of his 10", I let him buy it at the end of the night) the 92 came in 4th (I figure I got a 1st and a 4th). The car put on a great show.

When it was time to run the feature, the temp had dipped from the mid eighties to 68 degrees, the 92 didn't get over 135 degree engine temp. It ended up second the winner had a straightaway lead. Frank held back the 92 not to embarrass anybody. I like to think Mr. Flemke would have been proud.

Barry

[​IMG]

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.